shape
carat
color
clarity

Fat Ovals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maggie May

Rough_Rock
I''ve always loved ovals, they just grab me however since looking at the fancy cut tutorial I''m confused.

I''m really fond of a ''fat'' oval by which I mean rather than an elongated oval, I prefer wider sides. More like a round but oval - if that makes sense.

Can anyone shed some light, does this go against the ''ideal'' proportions of a classic shaped diamond. Am I still able to find a beautiful fat oval ? As long as I have excellent cut ?

Sorry if my questions are a bit green, I''m still learning
2.gif

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hiya. I love fatter ovals too. 1.33 is my preferred ratio.

http://www.gemappraisers.com/ has some guidelines. They aren't hard and fast rules but they will give you a starting point. Under Diamond Education there are a couple tools that will help you.

Here are my thoughts on ovals.

Table, I like smaller tables on ovals so under 60% is my preference.
Crown Height... higher the better 12-16%
Depth... this is a hard one. The shallower you go (59% max) the more spread, but deeper ovals (65%) seem to sometimes avoid bowties better. I would kinda 'wing it' on this measurement. As long as the diamond isn't too shallow or to deep, just check the bowtie.
Girdle-- very thin is bad because it will chip and very thick will hold weight and face up smaller. But in general medium is what you want but whether it is thin or thick or medium --even is a must. You don't want a wide range (very thin to very thick is not really good).
Polish: Very good or EX
Symmetry: Very good... preference for EX

But the most important thing with ovals is-- A) I'd go for color over clarity (eyeclean SI is fine) B) I wouldn't want a bow tie.

What's a bow tie? Look at this pic... the dark area in the center of the zone that looks like a bow tie. That's only something you can see by looking at the diamond, the numbers won't help you much with the bowtie. Which is why it is crucial to work with a vendor with an ASET, IS, and one that will give you as many pics of the diamond as possible. As well as thier assesment of the bowtie effect of the diamond upon visual inspection. A vendor with video ability is also great so you can see how light interacts with the diamond yourself. For these reasons, if I wanted an oval Goodgoldgold would be my first stop. I'd call them and tell them what I wanted (size, budget, specs-- color, clarity, ratio) and ask them to source an oval for you.
ring12.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT post Gypsy!!!

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Hi Maggie,

I have a fatty oval (1.29) and I absolutely love it !!!

Table - 58%
Depth - 62%

Polish - EX.
Symmetry - Very Good

My oval is set east / west and for some reason the bowtie is non-existant 90% of the time. The bowtie shows up in really intense sunlight; actually, it''s not a bow-tie but a dark, narrow line.

About Good Old Gold, when I contacted them they advised that their upgrade policy did not apply to ovals (double check if you contact them). My oval was listed on James Allen''s website and I purchased through them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of fat ovals too. That''s all I have to add!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I love this one:chubby oval
The combo of color and clarity is amazing for the price, me thinks!

Maggie May

Rough_Rock
I''m just bumping this to say THANK YOU !!!!!! the responses were great and I learnt a lot. I''ve been busy researching them further.

You know its hard, I love them my husband is really traditional in the sense that he can''t get past the gold old round brilliant. I think they are lovely but I do think Ovals are that just bit different and very flattering to the finger - I have short size 5 fingers so it would elongate them plus ..... better coverage
31.gif

I think if I get a new stone we might have to compromise, I might get a old cut rather than the round brilliant..

I''d still love a fat oval though
28.gif
since he''s contributing I must get something he likes too .. right ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results