shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
So, my BF has given me the green light to begin looking for some diamond studs for our upcoming three year anniversary. I already have a pair of princess cuts (0.25tcw) from a B&M that he got me before we knew anything about diamonds. We could use their upgrade policy to get a pair of 0.5 tcw studs. However, I would much rather just sell my current earrings and put the money toward a pair of Ready-Set-Go round martini set studs from WF (BTW the fact that they cannot be upgraded doesn't bother me). I could also go to Shane Co. and get a pair from them as I know there quality to be somewhat better than mall stores. However, the 0.5 tcw pair from WF is a little over our budget and I would have to contribute some money to get them. Our budget is about $550. The pair from WF is $795 and I can get a pair from Shane Co. for the same carat weight but for only $500-$550.

I know that cut is the most important factor in diamonds. So, I guess my question is will cut make that big of a difference in such small earrings? Am I going to see an almost $300 difference in quality for the pair from WF? Help please!!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think the cut will make a big diff and would go for the Whiteflash (you may also want to get a quote from Brian Gavin Diamonds...) you can see if either of them can work with you on price. I''d sell you existing studs and put whatever you get towards the new ones...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 9:29:39 AM
Author:MayFlowers
So, my BF has given me the green light to begin looking for some diamond studs for our upcoming three year anniversary. I already have a pair of princess cuts (0.25tcw) from a B&M that he got me before we knew anything about diamonds. We could use their upgrade policy to get a pair of 0.5 tcw studs. However, I would much rather just sell my current earrings and put the money toward a pair of Ready-Set-Go round martini set studs from WF (BTW the fact that they cannot be upgraded doesn''t bother me). I could also go to Shane Co. and get a pair from them as I know there quality to be somewhat better than mall stores. However, the 0.5 tcw pair from WF is a little over our budget and I would have to contribute some money to get them. Our budget is about $550. The pair from WF is $795 and I can get a pair from Shane Co. for the same carat weight but for only $500-$550.

I know that cut is the most important factor in diamonds. So, I guess my question is will cut make that big of a difference in such small earrings? Am I going to see an almost $300 difference in quality for the pair from WF? Help please!!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Hi Mayflower

It depends on the cut of the Shane stones so we can get a comparison...If you could get all the details of these diamonds if they are also reliably lab graded then that would help. But if they don''t have a lab report and are of unknown cut quality, then it might be best to go for the WF RSTG studs that you know are well cut, matched and accurately graded.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, you''ll be able to see a difference even in small studs. Regardless of size, you want sparkle. Be it smaller studes with a hint of glitter or larger studs the major bling.

If I were you I''d sell the current studs to put toward a larger pair and if you have to stay within budget (rather than save up for the better cut pair) possibly buy an ideal scope so you can see how the diamonds look under one of those rather than only relying on the lighting in the jewelry store.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the quick advice! I may contact BGD to see what he can do for me. I already contacted GOG as well, but their price quote was more than twice my budget.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m gonna go on a limb and say that you won''t notice a *huge* difference as long as you make an effort to get decent cuts from Shane Co. Do you own an iealscope? I''d spend $25 to get one and then check out the Shane-co diamonds. If they look nice to your eyes in different lighing and look ok through the IS, then go for it.

dangsdunks

Rough_Rock
What did you end up doing? I actually bought a pair yesterday from Shane Co.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 12:15:57 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I''m gonna go on a limb and say that you won''t notice a *huge* difference as long as you make an effort to get decent cuts from Shane Co. Do you own an iealscope? I''d spend $25 to get one and then check out the Shane-co diamonds. If they look nice to your eyes in different lighing and look ok through the IS, then go for it.
Have you talked to BGDs? Seems like their prices are higher than WF. Or maybe it was just a couple of the diamonds I was looking at. . .

Re: the Shane Co. One thing you have to keep in mind is that they charge sales tax, in addition to their prices (for comparable stuff) being higher. Two friends of mine have purchased diamonds from there that are hideous (one is an eng. ring that the friend basically *hides* from other people). A third friend found great diamonds there but paid a fortune!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results