shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all healthy eaters...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
How do you resist temptation? I''m not talking about the once in awhile temptation of a piece of cake or a sweet, but the daily sirens call of junky stuff?

I''m trying to eat healthier and resist greasy/creamy/delicious food stuffs, but I''m finding it really tough. I''m really craving a creamy, heavy pasta dish but I know I should resist as I''m not exactly eating healthy now as it is.

So, how do you fight temptation?

Thanks!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Only conquer one day at a time. Make a list of reasons why you want to make this change and congratulate yourself at the end of each day for meeting the accomplishment and getting closer to your goal. Only conquer one day at a time and it will become less temptation and more a way of life. I''m not saying the temptations go away because I still have moments where I pretend to enjoy peanut butter M&Ms. I know that the immediate gratification of eating them is short lived with longer term effects that aren''t worth it. My boyfriend has drastically changed his eating habits to lower his cholesterol, blood pressure and weight. I''ve found that on Saturday nights it makes it much easier if he orders something he''ll enjoy, like a good steak, as long as he doesn''t cover it with sauce, cheese, butter, and shrimp toppings.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
When I started eating healthier, I had to have the creamy pasta, the cheesecake, etc. I would allow myself a smaller portion than normal and always added a big salad or veggies. Eventually, the not so healthy stuff wasn''t what I was craving.

Slow and steady wins the race.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with SS. I used to be so strict with my diet, no sugars, white refined flours, etc. and while I looked and felt great doing it, I couldn''t have a social life because I couldn''t go out to eat or snack with my friends. Now I eat whatever I want if I''m really craving it, but I limit it to one or two bites. Usually Fi orders something rich so I''ll have a few bites of what he''s having and if I''m eating at home, I eat a few bites and put the rest in the fridge.

If I really need to resist temptation (no small bites) then I usually tell myself that I''ll feel so guilty afterward and I hate feeling guilty...It works for me almost 100% of the time.

Hope you find something that works for you Kitcha!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kitcha
Why not try whole wheat pasta

Or simply allow yourself to have the goodness, but moderate how much you eat. I used to say "ok I''ll get it, but I''m going to box up half now so I don''t over indulge"

4ever

Ideal_Rock
If I''m eating well I don''t crave bad stuff at all. When I do get a craving I first drink a glass of water (sometimes you think your hungry but your just thirsty) and then I look for a subsitute- I want some candy so I have some fruit that is sweet- if that dosn''t work I have a small amount of what I''m craving rather than resiting and going bat $#%@ crazy thinking about food.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally try to eat smart and healthy but do allow an occasional treat or splurge in moderation. Splitting it with someone or just eating a few bites seems to work for me.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I usually try to find a substitute and the craving will usually go away. Sometimes, even chewing some gum helps. I try to remind myself that I will feel better in the long run for not caving in, than I will almost immediately if I do cave in.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only way to truely get rid of cravings/tempations is to remove all refined foods from your diet. Even if you eat a little bit of junk, you''ll still have cravings.

It''s hard. What I do is eat three very healthy meals per day and then loosen up when it comes to snacks. Sometimes I''ll eat triscuits (low fat) which aren''t entirely bad but not perfectly healthy, either. Also, I love gold fish crackers.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add the "good food" "bad food" thing doesn''t work for me. It''s very hard for me to think of FOOD in that way. I think "good for my body" and "good for my mouth" food. I don''t need any more guilt in my life, especially over something as necessary as food.

Another thing I thought of...When I really upped my workouts, my body wanted "good for my body" food. Cheesecake was never gonna cut it after Jillian Michaels tried to kill me.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
It's tough, no way around it. What I've found is that eating a substitute does not help and I often eat the substitute then give in to the thing I wanted in the first place too. Even though I'm not hungry, I'm still craving.

What works for me is to keep a notebook handy. When a specific craving hits, I write it down in the book and tell myself that's what I'll eat on my next 'eat what you like' day. I've dealt with the craving by telling myself I can eat it later, rather than I can't eat it at all. Nine times out of ten, by the time I get to the 'free' day, it isn't what I fancy anyway. Success breeds success - I'll be less likely to crave stuff if I've had a good couple of weeks on 'clean' eating. I also find that eating a high fibre, high protein breakfast stops me craving unsuitable food by mid afternoon.

Jen

ETA the eating just a few bites trick works really well for a lot of my friends, but for me, part of the luxury of a delicious food is eating it until I don't want to eat it anymore. A bite would annoy, rather than quell the craving. Try it, it might work for you, but if it doesn't, be prepared to throw the rest away, fast! One way it can work for me is if I take my bite(s) then give the rest to DH. It will be gone in a flash, removing further temptation.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I find that if I''m craving something, I eat it.

Healthy eating is a lifestyle change, and once you "get it", then you don''t really want to eat those processed sugars, fast food, or whatever you may be craving.

Moderation is key to anything. After a while of portion control, it becomes easier. So, when you do want a heavy pasta dish, eat it.

ETA: I went to the Olive Garden with my family (out of my control) and ordered "whole wheat pasta" in a tomato sauce with veggies, and it still made me sick.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a cheat day once a week. Every Saturday I can eat whatever I want, and that is the only thing that has worked for me.

Of course, the cleaner I eat during the week and the more I work out, the less I actually want to eat those tempting foods by the time Saturday comes. BUT, when I really do get a serious craving, it really does help to know that I can eat it on Saturday if I still want it then.

I think it''s about finding what works best for you. I have a friend who has to cut out all of her serious temptations completely, or else she''s just eat them all the time. (Example: She tried the "cheat day" thing and ended up eating an entire bag of Oreos. The ENTIRE bag.) I''m the opposite--I need to be able to have a little bit of my favorite foods, even if they aren''t healthy, or else I''ll abandon my clean eating diet completely.

The other thing is that I just don''t keep unhealthy foods in the house anymore. If they''re available, I''m more likely to eat them. But I do make sure to keep yummy snacks in the house that taste just as indulgent to me as my cheat foods. My current favorite not-so-bad snack is a Jonagold apple with a tbsp of natural peanut butter and a squirt of honey. I put the PB and honey in a ramekin, slice up the apple, and dip. YUM!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
One trick I do is when I''m craving something that is not particularly healthy, I make it myself. If I make it myself I not only know what''s in it, but by the time I''m done baking or cooking it I''m usually only in the mood for a few bites. Plus, then I have plenty of unhealthy treats to share with others!
11.gif

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 10:43:52 PM
Author: Haven
I have a cheat day once a week. Every Saturday I can eat whatever I want, and that is the only thing that has worked for me.

Of course, the cleaner I eat during the week and the more I work out, the less I actually want to eat those tempting foods by the time Saturday comes. BUT, when I really do get a serious craving, it really does help to know that I can eat it on Saturday if I still want it then.

I think it''s about finding what works best for you. I have a friend who has to cut out all of her serious temptations completely, or else she''s just eat them all the time. (Example: She tried the ''cheat day'' thing and ended up eating an entire bag of Oreos. The ENTIRE bag.) I''m the opposite--I need to be able to have a little bit of my favorite foods, even if they aren''t healthy, or else I''ll abandon my clean eating diet completely.

The other thing is that I just don''t keep unhealthy foods in the house anymore. If they''re available, I''m more likely to eat them. But I do make sure to keep yummy snacks in the house that taste just as indulgent to me as my cheat foods. My current favorite not-so-bad snack is a Jonagold apple with a tbsp of natural peanut butter and a squirt of honey. I put the PB and honey in a ramekin, slice up the apple, and dip. YUM!
I am with Haven, I don''t think denying yourself completely is the way to do it. I feel like if I deny myself something, I am essentially punishing myself, and then I have a break in the wrong direction. Plus, sometimes you just want something. It doesn''t make you a bad person, nor do you need to punish yourself for it or cancel out all your positive eating habits. Just have a smaller portion or a few bites. Most times that is all you need to take the "edge off" of your craving.

However, also as Haven said, there are some people who just can''t do a little bit. So figure out what you can and can''t do, and do what works for you
9.gif

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I agree with some of the previous posters that it actually can help you if you let yourself cheat (if you can without completely ruining your healthier habits). Like Haven, if I work out really well, eat well and know that I have a cheat day or even a meal ahead of me, it helps, and I enjoy the cheat food that much more than if I was eating it all the time. But I also have the same thing happen that the better I am that week, the better I am on my cheat day. My problem is when I start getting lazy, and then one cheat day becomes two, two becomes three, and three becomes a whole week. Then not only have I thrown my whole week, I also just feel kinda ''gross'' in general. But then again, if that does happen, I try not to get too down on myself. Sometimes you just have to press the reset button and say ''well this wasn''t a great meal/day/week/whatever, but i can make this change.''

I find that I do have to give into my chocolate cravings - especially at that time of the month...
20.gif
... or else I completely overindulge (and then some!) and feel miserable afterwards. It''s a fine line to walk, but there is a balance in there somewhere.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I''m definitely not good at portion control. Just having a few bites of something isn''t enough for me.

I''ve gotten a bit better at avoiding bad foods. I''ve recently found that delaying eating what I''m craving for a few hours usually works. Ie. If I''m craving pasta alfredo around lunch time, I''ll tell myself that I''ll have it for dinner if I still want it at that time. Then I check and see if I''m hungry or thirsty. If I''m hungry then I''ll have something good with the thought that I''ll have my treat at dinner. Usually by dinner I''m over the craving.
36.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, I had a whole post and accidentally deleted it (can't even blame it on PS).

Ok, basically, I try to have a veggie with every meal. I eat my veggies first too, so it fills me up a bit before I eat my regular food.

Also, I have zero self-control in restaurants, so I make at least 6/7 dinners per week at home. I only buy healthy ingredients, so I don't even have access to heavy cream, etc most days.

Finally, I don't keep anything easy to eat in the house. If I'm hungry I always have to make something, even if it's just a sandwich or toast, and sometimes I realize I'm not that hungry and don't feel like making something. If I have traditional snack foods, I'm much much more likely to grab something for a snack.

eta: I also find snacking does not work for me, though it works for so many others. I just can't snack - the more times I eat during the day, the more I want to eat the hungrier I feel all the time. So even if it's a healthy snack, it makes me crave food more. If I just stick to 3 meals per day, after a few days I'm not hungry in between meals at all. But this is just what works for me!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
One day and don''t deprive yourself. You''re better off having a little of something you''re craving than denying yourself and later eating a TON of what you''re craving. So have your pasta, just have a salad first and avoid the garlic bread. Oh, and stop eating when you''re full. It''s hard when you''re eating something super yummy, but acknowledge that you only need a few bites to really satisfy a craving and then be done with it. Pour salt on the plate or at least cover it with your napkin. Out of sight, out of mind.

FWIW I''m a huge candy person. When I was really watching what I ate I would save 150 or so calories/day for when I would hit my boss'' candy jar. It worked for me.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Some things that help me stay fit:

Don''t watch food commercials on TV
- For obvious reasons.

Stay away from the Food Network
- i don''t care if it''s healthy food programs you''re watching; it''s still enough to induce cravings. Plus, you never seem to have all the ingredients, so you end up going to the market and get lazy and eat out. Boo.

Eat often, don''t let yourself go hungry
- I do this either by small portioned meals, and/or drinking lots of fluids

Read the labels, and know what they really mean
- This is usually enough to turn me away from most processed foods. Seriously, there''s some stuff I used to eat as a kid that I can''t believe my mom actually bought for me. (Then again, I was a kid with a ridiculous metabolism, so I supposed it was fine. I used to be super skinny, and tried for years to gain some weight. What was I thinking?!!!)

Don''t buy it
- This kind of goes in hand with the "read the labels" bit, but just don''t buy junk food. If you don''t have sweets at home, you''re less likely to have them. Or even if you end up going out to buy them after an intense craving, you still end up walking a good bit to get them, which would be better than the fifteen steps to your pantry.

Hard candy is your friend
- Hard candy has surprisingly low calories. Most are under 30 cal. a piece. One Jolly Rancher has less than 10 calories. Way better for your waist than chocolate.

I love salty foods. I love salt so much I sometimes snack on it straight up. So, to compensate, I decided to eat my food less salty. Less salt with my steak means I can indulge on more Cheetos. After a while, my tongue got used to eating less salt, and now my diet overall is low in sodium. Same goes for cheese and fats. After a while, you start craving it less. I do give myself a free pass every now and then, because I just love food in general, but like the others said, all things in moderation. Good luck!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Two things stop me:

1.) The knowledge that if I ate every single creamy fatty sugary thing I wanted I might just die of a heart attack by 50. I have a family history of cancer, blood clots, and my mom's had two minor heart attacks. I quite possibly have genetics working against me so why make my odds higher?

2.) I'm becoming more and more into "clean eating" after reading up on how food is made and why processed foods and meat aren't ideal. I highly recommend the Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

ETA: I've also heard great things about his new book Food Rules

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I want to throw out there that you should be very wary of "whole grain" anything. Especially things like whole grain pasta or crackers. I''ve worked in the food industry and I can tell you that there are no regulations for how much whole grain is actually in these things. Sometimes companies will self-impose a 55% rule, but it can easily be as low as 10% whole grain/90% white flour. Honestly, I would try to eat these things, but count them as regular carbs. They''re hardly any healthier for you than the regular stuff, sadly, and have just as many calories.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kitcha - I find things that are healthy but close in taste or texture to something I like. For instance, your creamy... you could have yogurt with honey and granola for a meal! Or I like whole wheat pasta with olive oil and Parmesan cheese, and practice moderation.

I tend to crave salty (esp around that time of month), and have recently fallen in love with dried vegetable chips sprinkled with lights sea salt... or baked sweet potato chips home made (low fat butter a little sea salt and a little cinnamon and throw them in the oven.)

Also, it''s good to let yourself have the things you love in moderation. Perhaps give yourself a one night a week to indulge, and either measure out your serving OR box up half of it before hand.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 10:33:22 AM
Author: dragonfly411
Kitcha - I find things that are healthy but close in taste or texture to something I like. For instance, your creamy... you could have yogurt with honey and granola for a meal! Or I like whole wheat pasta with olive oil and Parmesan cheese, and practice moderation.

I tend to crave salty (esp around that time of month), and have recently fallen in love with dried vegetable chips sprinkled with lights sea salt... or baked sweet potato chips home made (low fat butter a little sea salt and a little cinnamon and throw them in the oven.)

Also, it''s good to let yourself have the things you love in moderation. Perhaps give yourself a one night a week to indulge, and either measure out your serving OR box up half of it before hand.
DF, check out my post above. I don''t know if I''d really consider whole wheat pasta to be a healthier alternative to regular unless it''s made fresh and you know how much whole wheat is in it. The marketing campaign around whole grains has made these products seem healtier than they actually are. Eating it with olive oil and parm is great though! That''s healthy whether it''s whole grain or not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results