shape
carat
color
clarity

Quitting soda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
So DH and I have completely given up soda. We are trying only to drink water 24/7. The only problem I am having with it is that I just feel completely exhausted all day, like I''m just dragging along. Dare I say it''s worst than quitting smoking was for me? It''s a very VERY close contender. I''m looking for some advice to put some pep back into myself...I''m considering taking a multi vitamin that also has caffeine in it, does anyone think this would help? Thanks for any tips you might have
1.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Do you like coffee or tea? I would start with those I think. Otherwise, a pill with caffeine would help. I find I get migraines when I try to give up caffeine - it's tough! Even when I'm off caffeine, it remains the best cure for my headaches, so I usually end up back on it. I like drinking tea - it gives me less caffeine than a pill or a soda, so I can regulate it better.

eta: Or you can just give it up and go cold turkey. I think if you give it a week or two you'll feel a lot better.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I do loooove tea :) We are trying to lose weight which is half the reason we are giving up the soda, the other half is for other health benefits. I''ve read that if you buy the lipton''s tea it''s not any better for you (or any pre mixed tea), do you have any good tea suggestions? I like mine with honey but figure I can always add my own in :)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about some OJ/seltzer water combo? Or I 2nd the tea suggestion. Almond Milk is AHHHMAZING and doesn't spike blood sugar as much as Soy or regular milk.

It might be BOREDOM that has you dragging. You know, not spicing up the water enough. Adding fresh lemon or lime slices might help a bit.

Is it the carbonation you're trying to avoid ...or the food colorings? sugar? What's the total goal I guess is my question to offer further suggestions.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i found that drinking carbonated water like perrier makes a nice substitute. it has that fizz like coke has yet it''s just water. plus you can find some brands with no salt.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 3:37:54 PM
Author: decodelighted
How about some OJ/seltzer water combo? Or I 2nd the tea suggestion. Almond Milk is AHHHMAZING and doesn't spike blood sugar as much as Soy or regular milk.

It might be BOREDOM that has you dragging. You know, not spicing up the water enough. Adding fresh lemon or lime slices might help a bit.

Is it the carbonation you're trying to avoid ...or the food colorings? sugar? What's the total goal I guess is my question to offer further suggestions.

Trying to avoid the sugar, I recently (ie 30 minutes ago ie right after drinking 33 ounces of it) found out that crystal light has aspartame in it which doesn't help things either. Also trying to avoid the corn syrup and food coloring. Booo junk food! (ok except skinny cows ice cream
17.gif
)

eta: this is why im straying from coffee as well, I can't drink it unless it has sugar in it bleh!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
or maybe I''ll be extra fancy and try some sparkling water with a lime in it
2.gif

Thank you for the suggestions!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i am a pop drinker (diet pepsi all the way).

however, i love fizzy waters, so would suggest something like perrier or the like.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I make iced tea at home (just on the stove, not as good as sun tea!) and just drink it cold with lemon. If I want hot tea I go with Chai tea bags...no sugar needed and just a touch of milk or cream.

Also, Lipton makes cold brew tea bags that I leave at work. Just pop one into a glass of iced water and Ta Da! Iced tea at work!

I''ve never been a soda drinker, we were only allowed water and tea at home as a kid so I should send my mom thanks! I can''t imagine breaking a habit like that! Oh wait....I can. It''s called pasta and sugar. Oh how I miss them!!!

Cj

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Multivitamins with B vitamins

Green tea (VERY good for you)
Black Coffee

Those in order of what I would choose first.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Smurf. Good for you for cutting soda from your diet!

I drink my coffee with soy creamer/milk in it. Creamer is plenty sweet and requires no sugar, IMO. If I just use the milk, I put 1tsp of sugar.

Hubs makes his own tea. He brews green tea, and adds honey and all natural fruit concentrate (NO added sugars, HFCS, etc). Here is a link to the product. Our store only carries cranberry/cherry, and blueberry/pomegranate (my favorite). If you don''t feel like doing that whole process, just add some fruit concentrate to your water.

You can also add some lemon slices to your water for a little flavor as well!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 3:35:17 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
I do loooove tea :) We are trying to lose weight which is half the reason we are giving up the soda, the other half is for other health benefits. I've read that if you buy the lipton's tea it's not any better for you (or any pre mixed tea), do you have any good tea suggestions? I like mine with honey but figure I can always add my own in :)
Definitely don't get the stuff out of a bottle - I've worked for Lipton's so I can tell you it's no better than soda
3.gif
Just get tea bags and make your own. I would recommend always measuring out how much sugar or honey you add, then trying to reduce it. If you just dump some in, you won't know how much you're using, but if you initially like it with 2 teaspoons, then maybe work your way down to 1, then maybe 0.5. Sugar isn't *that* bad for you either as long as you're only having one spoonful (15 calories or so). And I'm sure you could get yourself to like it without any sugar.

What kind of tea do you like? You can probably just go to the grocery store and pick up a few different kinds and pick a favorite from there. If you're looking for the caffeine hit, don't go with herbal though, it doesn't have any (black tea has the most, but still less than coffee). Just try to get something that reasonably high quality - the cheaper it is, the more bitter it will be and it will be much harder to enjoy without sugar.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Smurfy--My husband and I quit drinking soda a few years ago. We didn''t have any withdrawal symptoms, but I wanted to share that after some time of not drinking soda, it started to taste really awful to us. It''s like the distance makes you realize that it''s a pretty disgusting drink. Hopefully you''ll experience that so the temptation won''t be there anymore!

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
I''m a diet coke/pepsi drinker. Admittedly I drink wayyy too much. I have tried giving it up a couple of times, then realized I wasn''t serious enough about it. It helps me stay awake late at night when I''m working. Sorry, I don''t have any words of advice. Just showing some support!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I gave up drinking soda a couple years ago after I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse/Regurgitation. I mostly gave it up for the caffeine. I switched to Crystal Light. I know the aspartame is bad but I just have no desire to drink plain water. FI puts lemon slices in his water and I find that tolerable. I gave up drinking soda about three months after I quit smoking so I know how much it can suck. Just think of the money you''ll save and how much whiter your teeth will be! (Speaking of teeth, I haven''t had a cavity since I gave up soda and I used to have AT LEAST one every time I went to the dentist!)

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 6:37:23 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
I gave up drinking soda a couple years ago after I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse/Regurgitation. I mostly gave it up for the caffeine. I switched to Crystal Light. I know the aspartame is bad but I just have no desire to drink plain water. FI puts lemon slices in his water and I find that tolerable. I gave up drinking soda about three months after I quit smoking so I know how much it can suck. Just think of the money you''ll save and how much whiter your teeth will be! (Speaking of teeth, I haven''t had a cavity since I gave up soda and I used to have AT LEAST one every time I went to the dentist!)
Have you tried putting mint or other fruits in your water or sparkling water? Soooo good. My favorite herb to put in sparkling water or lemonade (yum) is pinapple sage if you can find it. It smells amazing!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 8:14:09 PM
Author: elrohwen
Date: 2/22/2010 3:35:17 PM

Author: Smurfyimproved

I do loooove tea :) We are trying to lose weight which is half the reason we are giving up the soda, the other half is for other health benefits. I''ve read that if you buy the lipton''s tea it''s not any better for you (or any pre mixed tea), do you have any good tea suggestions? I like mine with honey but figure I can always add my own in :)

Definitely don''t get the stuff out of a bottle - I''ve worked for Lipton''s so I can tell you it''s no better than soda
3.gif
Just get tea bags and make your own. I would recommend always measuring out how much sugar or honey you add, then trying to reduce it. If you just dump some in, you won''t know how much you''re using, but if you initially like it with 2 teaspoons, then maybe work your way down to 1, then maybe 0.5. Sugar isn''t *that* bad for you either as long as you''re only having one spoonful (15 calories or so). And I''m sure you could get yourself to like it without any sugar.

What kind of tea do you like? You can probably just go to the grocery store and pick up a few different kinds and pick a favorite from there. If you''re looking for the caffeine hit, don''t go with herbal though, it doesn''t have any (black tea has the most, but still less than coffee). Just try to get something that reasonably high quality - the cheaper it is, the more bitter it will be and it will be much harder to enjoy without sugar.

I''m with el -- sweeteners are incredibly addictive and it may well be that it''s the lack of sweetener that''s bothering you more than the lack of caffeine. You might have better luck if you wean yourself off of it rather than cutting it out so abruptly. A little bit of honey in freshly brewed tea could be just the trick.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make frig tea (just like sun tea but in the frig). It''s not bitter at all so I don''t think it needs any sugar. I like the flavored teas for it too but my husband just wants plain tea.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 3:41:36 PM
Author: jcrow
i found that drinking carbonated water like perrier makes a nice substitute. it has that fizz like coke has yet it''s just water. plus you can find some brands with no salt.
Yes, carbonated water will totally replace your "need" for soda!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smurfy, if you''re going to be drinking tea you should buy bags and make it yourself. Don''t buy bottled or powder because it contains as much sugar (if not more) than soda. I make a batch of iced tea concentrate (steep a bunch of bags in water) and then I store it in the fridge. When I want iced tea I put ice in my glass and fill with the tea from the fridge and maybe top with water if it''s strong. Add in a slice of lemon and you''re good to go. I''ve started drinking my iced tea without sugar or other sweetener because I find it''s more refreshing that way. I also get the iced tea from dunkin donuts a lot, unsweetened with just lemon.

It took a long time for me to kick soda and it''s an ongoing battle. The hardest soda for me is diet coke. I don''t really care for full sugar soda except for ginger ale so the sugar isn''t an issue, it''s the caffeine in the diet coke that gets me. I don''t drink coffee and I prefer cold drinks to hot so the iced tea is a lifesaver. The other challenge for me with quitting soda is I love the fizz, so continuing to drink carbonated beverages can be tough when I''m trying to cut out other carbonated stuff. So for me, I replace the caffeine in diet coke with iced tea and I cut out all carbonated beverages, diet or otherwise.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, Tazo tea has fantastic flavored teas, Berryblossom white is my all time favorite flavored tea for iced tea (I''m normally just an iced black tea drinker) and white tea is really really good for you. The Chai from Tazo is also super good as is the Awake (if you''re looking for a caffeine pick me up).

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I did this last year- lost about 15lbs from it. Looking back that was really the only change I made to my schedule/eating habits. cut out pop, and drank water or tea (from the bags) so it can be done! I would have to agree that after awhile, I really did not want pop anymore, seriously disgusted me it was too sweet, sticky, syrupy...

I love having a bit of mint tea. It can be just mint, or mint and green tea, both are very good imo.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Sortof in line with soda after you count creamer and splenda - I''m quitting coffee as of today. It''s lost it''s appeal the past week or so and I''m about to embark on a mission to only take in sugars from natural foods (no granular sugar for at least a month if not two) and honey.

I too love the Tazo flavor teas. I also drink organic green tea, and add raw unfiltered honey (we have a local maker). I agree with others not to do bottled tea... It''s full of sugar and
23.gif
high fructose corn syrup. I nearly had a heart attack one morning when I grabbed a nestea before class only to see that high fructose corn syrup was the second highest ingredient... before water!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results