shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone try Laser Hair Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have the change to pay $99 to get 2 areas lasered, anyone try it? Is it worth it? I know it can take multiple treatments and all. I''d just love to not have to shave my pits!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
The laser works as hair ''reduction'' not ''removal''. You might lose about 75% or so of your hair. If you''re ok with that, I''d say it''s worth it. You''ll still have to shave/pluck/wax any remaining hair the laser treatments weren''t able to treat but it''ll be less hair.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And it also takes at the very minimum 3-5 sessions. Plus, you have to do 1-2 sessions every 2-3 years as well. Several friends of mine are religious laser hair removal users and love it.

I'm still on the fence. My skin's too sensitive for shaving (even when I buy those fancy 15$ each razors), hair removal creams take forever and grow back fast, waxing costs a ton and I have to wait over 2 months for hair to grow back to waxable length, which sucks because I'm SOL when there is that little icky growth. *sigh*

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had laser on my upper lip and chin. Gotta love having natural black hair and fair skin.

I think it was worth it. I''m overdue for a maintenance session, but it''s so expensive I''ve been holding out.

$99 is scary inexpensive, IMO. Who is going to perform this for this price? Is it a dermatologist, or a certified technician who works with a dermatologist? If not, I''d look for someone else. I''ve heard horror stories about salons botching laser removal and leaving people with scars. I know the regulations vary from state to state, but even if someone is technically certified to do it, I''d want to know it was being performed by someone who was highly trained.

I paid $1,000 for five sessions on a very small area--my upper lip and one tiny spot on my chin.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mustang--I didn't mean to be rude about the price you listed, I brought it up out of concern for you. I wouldn't want you walking around with scarred underarms! I'm very sorry if I came across as rude.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did not work for me. I did a thread on it years ago. It is VERY painful too (maybe they have a better laser now though).

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Didn''t work for me either (legs). Not sure why I bothered, since the hair is unnoticeable, being much the same colour as my skin, and it HURT! Never again.
Sorry if that isn''t helpful, but I was not a fan.

Jen_91909

Shiny_Rock
I have done laser on both bikini area and underarms and it was worth every single cent.

Here is the thing though-- if I only had 5 sessions, or even 12, I would have gotten only a reduction, not the pretty much complete removal I have now. It took about 3-4 years of going every other month.

I go to an American Laser Centers where there is a flat rate for the procedure, then pretty much unlimited "touch-ups" until the hair is gone. I started the underarms 2.5 years after the bikini, and even though it is over 5 years later they still go over my bikini every time I go in there, for maintenance I suppose.

So, I believe that laser hair removal absolutely works but many people do not actually get enough treatments to get optimal results.
It also works best on those with fairer skin and darker hair.

If I had the money I would do my legs in a heartbeat, but I have a mortgage now!

Jen_91909

Shiny_Rock
P.S. I do agree with Haven to be a bit wary about the cost. My underarms cost $800 and that was during a pretty heavy promotion.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info ladies! this is the deal I would go through, but would have to purchase by tonight. The normal price would be $700. And it includes up to 12 treatments. I have dark brown hair in the areas I would have done (underarms and bikini), sounds like light hair is more of a problem.

Guess I''ll have to think about it some more...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 3:42:11 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Didn''t work for me either (legs). Not sure why I bothered, since the hair is unnoticeable, being much the same colour as my skin, and it HURT! Never again.

I''m shocked that they even did laser on you if your hair and skin are the same color. It works best for those with dark hair and light skin. My doctor actually turns people away if they don''t have dark enough hair.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My RN did not do legs because she said it rarely ever worked and took forever.

As others mentioned, course dark hair and light skin is best. As an Asian woman, I was a prime Candidate. I did mine 7 years ago and it took 7 treatments (by 6, it was pretty well all gone, but I did one for good measure.) All hair gone for years until I had Amelia. Now I have a few strays but no big deal to pluck. Oh, I did my bikini line.

There are different levels. Technicians (who just are trained on the machines, I think), RNs, and Dermatologists. The full on doc is going to cost way more. A technician would probably be the cheapest. But beware, some inexperienced technicians can turn it way up and cause burning/scarring.

7 years ago, I paid $129 per treatment for my bikini line X 7 times = $903.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 9:41:26 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 2/24/2010 3:42:11 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell

I''m shocked that they even did laser on you if your hair and skin are the same color. It works best for those with dark hair and light skin. My doctor actually turns people away if they don''t have dark enough hair.
I know. It was a long time ago, and I really wanted it done, but with hindsight, it was a pointless excercise and they should have told me no. I used to wax my legs, so this seemed like a better long term solution.

I suspect that if you''re offering this service in Scotland, by refusing to treat people with pale skin and light hair, you''re dooming your enterprise to commercial failure. There are just too many of us in the population.
9.gif
Doctors tend not to do this here, it''s technicians mostly.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I chickened out and didn''t buy it. Maybe someday... But thanks for all your comments, it really helped.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Had my upper lip done - 6 treatments - 60% reduction. Not really worth it. I have light skin and medium hair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results