shape
carat
color
clarity

first time dress shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pannini

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone! I''ve been away from PS for so long now. It''s good to be back!

Fiance and I went scouting for venues this past weekend and it''s so overwhelming. We have a long distance engagement so it''s super tough for us to get much done without interruption. I visit San Francisco when I can, and then have to head back to LA for grad school.

So nothing found yet, but I will be sure to post questions to seek opinions on venues on this forum.

A few of my girlfriends want to take me dress hunting this Friday in LA. Wanted to know how to deal with the sales people at the boutiques, and what the etiquette was in terms of doing the whole search.

I don''t plan on buying a dress yet, but I want to know my size, my preferred fit/style, and what sort of budget I should be aiming for. So this is a first time survey of what is out there in real life. i''m sick of looking at magazines and just wondering if it''s right for me!

Will the sales attendants be rude if they find out I''m not buying right away? What can I say and what should I not say?

Also finally, what is good to bring or wear to these dress tryouts?

Thanks fellow future brides!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!
35.gif

I wouldn''t say anything to a SA; just have fun dress shopping. From my experiences, I never got hounded about buying a dress. I may steer away from saying this is your first time trying on dresses, I don''t know.

What to wear/bring:
water! I got so thirsty and hot.
I wore boy shorts underwear.
I brought a strapless bra.

And remember to have fun!

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
hey Pannini, glad you''re back!
35.gif
I was actually thinking of you the other day (not in a creepy way of course). I live in Cow Hollow so I pass by Partita on Chestnut often and every time I do I think of the time you asked about micro pave...

Anyway, that''s exciting that you''re going dress shopping! There''s no real etiquette when it comes to the dress search. If anything I say you''d have a much easier time if you decided on a budget and a general idea of what you like and don''t like. For me I knew I liked more classic/vintage styles in ivory vs. modern and diamond white. Other than that I was very open to trying any shape dress on that the SA brought me. I wasn''t a fan of the mermaid or trumpet style gowns until I tried them on. I was so sure I was going to go with a empire-waisted sheath gown. That style looked fine on me but the trumpet looked much better and so that''s what I went with.

My very first time I went dress shopping, I did it in Fullerton with my mom at The Dresser. The SA was great! She pulled a lot of different styles for me and wrote down the three designers and style numbers I liked best so that if I did come back to purchase or to try on more dresses, I wouldn''t have to remember exactly which dresses I liked. She never pressured me and most good bridal salons won''t.

My 2nd was a trip to David''s Bridal. It was an okay experience when I was there, but I got so many follow up calls and emails and it was too pushy and annoying for my likings.

I ended up buying "the dress" at The Unique Bride in Burlingame.

I say to just go have fun with your friends this first time around and try on lots of different looks/gowns. It''ll give you a really good idea of what looks best on you and what doesn''t flatter you as much.

Good luck!

pannini

Shiny_Rock
thanks beach runner and monkey pants!

monkey pants, that is hilarious that you think of me. i love it. i always think of PSers when i remember certain parts of my ring that i went insane over. thanks to all of you i have the perfect ring!

now it''s on to the dress, LOL. oh great.

will definitely have some fun.

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results