shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from the Uk then upgrading later on

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Good Morning everyone from a very cold and frosty Scotland. I have been reading this site almost constantly since finding you all and I am formulating a plan! he he

Once my diamond buying ban is lifted, when that will be who can tell( husband imposed said ban in Dec 2009! lol), I am very tempted to replace my current one carat G/VS1 RB solitaire with something bigger say 1.5 to 1.8 but with a much better cut than I currently have. Actually I would probably prefer to stay within the lower range of my choice of diamonds and concentrate on finding an amazingly cut diamond now that you have all educated me in the power of "The Cut".

I would also like the option of upgrading at a later stage so that would be a big factor in choosing where my diamond would come from.
So to get to the point (sorry) I would love to know the following.

1. If any Uk PS''ers have bought from the Usa and the upgraded in the Usa?

2. Did you do it in person or by post( kwim ?)

3. How did the taxation thing work when sending original stone back to purchase a larger one?

To be honest this post is probably just one of many until I gather enough information to at least get my head around what is possible, so anything else you would like to add or comment would make for very interesting reading to me.
Thank you all once again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2010 6:26:08 AM
Author:susimoo
Good Morning everyone from a very cold and frosty Scotland. I have been reading this site almost constantly since finding you all and I am formulating a plan! he he

Once my diamond buying ban is lifted, when that will be who can tell( husband imposed said ban in Dec 2009! lol), I am very tempted to replace my current one carat G/VS1 RB solitaire with something bigger say 1.5 to 1.8 but with a much better cut than I currently have. Actually I would probably prefer to stay within the lower range of my choice of diamonds and concentrate on finding an amazingly cut diamond now that you have all educated me in the power of ''The Cut''.

I would also like the option of upgrading at a later stage so that would be a big factor in choosing where my diamond would come from.
So to get to the point (sorry) I would love to know the following.

1. If any Uk PS''ers have bought from the Usa and the upgraded in the Usa?

2. Did you do it in person or by post( kwim ?)

3. How did the taxation thing work when sending original stone back to purchase a larger one?

To be honest this post is probably just one of many until I gather enough information to at least get my head around what is possible, so anything else you would like to add or comment would make for very interesting reading to me.
Thank you all once again.
Hi Susan!

Probably the best person to help you would be Maisie, hold on and she might pop in later.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you once again Lorelei!

I will contact vendors once I can finance my little plan, but don''t want to waste their time with "what if" questions.

I figured the best way to find out how to do it properly and learn about possible pitfalls is from people who have already done it themselves.

For the first time in my diamond buying life I will buy a stone that is ideal and will not (will not will not will not) make an impulse buy. This has to be the right stone that also has the scope to grow (and grow he he)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2010 7:11:45 AM
Author: susimoo
Thank you once again Lorelei!

I will contact vendors once I can finance my little plan, but don''t want to waste their time with ''what if'' questions.

I figured the best way to find out how to do it properly and learn about possible pitfalls is from people who have already done it themselves.

For the first time in my diamond buying life I will buy a stone that is ideal and will not (will not will not will not) make an impulse buy. This has to be the right stone that also has the scope to grow (and grow he he)
You aren''t wasting their time Susie! Also definitely go with a vendor that has a good upgrade policy, the vendors listed below offer trade in plans on some diamonds so check to be sure when you purchase that your particular stone is eligible.

www.highperformancediamonds.com ( Infinity h&a)

www.niceice.com ( also Infinity)

www.whiteflash.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.briangavindiamonds.com

www.jamesallen.com ( upgrades need to be priced 50% higher than the original stone)

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie

I see you are online. Can you give me ant advice?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I upgraded through Whiteflash a couple of times, by post. There are some forms that you must fill in when you send your diamond over for upgrade. These were emailed to me by fedex. You must be sure that your vendor puts a special code on all returning paperwork too. You get this code from Customs. You have to write that you are returning the ring for repair/replacement. When the ring comes back to the uk you should only be charged for the amount you paid to upgrade, not the whole value of the new diamond.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I shall try and make more sense!

Contact fedex ( or whoever shipped the ring/diamond originally) and ask for a copy of the form required to ship your item back to the US for repair/replacement. Print it off, fill it in and make 4 copies. Your vendor might supply this form. It just has your details, the vendors details, description of contents and reason for return.
Call customs and ask for the CPC code required for a return/replacement. Also ask for the harmonisation code for your specific item-write this on the paperwork you get from the shipper. Don't write diamond anywhere! The harmonization number shows whats in the package to customs.
Write the CPC code on the returns forms in bold. Also make sure it's visible on the front of the packing box.
Ship your package back, use several forms of packaging to ensure your item doesn't move around in the package.
If your vendor is willing to let you ship on their account it should be insured.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for that!

It is not nearly as bad as I initially thought. I am not buying just now so I am exploring all the various options. It is great to know that it is doable and that someone has already done it successfully.

Now the hard bit. Convincing the wonderful man in my life that I really do need another diamond! That is a whole different topic. Probably a whole different forum!

Thanks Maisie, you are a star!

And thanks to Lorelei for recommending you as my mentor!!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are most welcome
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2010 1:29:59 PM
Thank you so much for that!

It is not nearly as bad as I initially thought. I am not buying just now so I am exploring all the various options. It is great to know that it is doable and that someone has already done it successfully.

Now the hard bit. Convincing the wonderful man in my life that I really do need another diamond! That is a whole different topic. Probably a whole different forum!

Thanks Maisie, you are a star!

And thanks to Lorelei for recommending you as my mentor!!

Have a great weekend everyone.
Glad to help Susan, Maisie offered you great advice!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
She sure did!

I love it here! You do a splendid job! I have learned so much in such a short time and it is possibly the most informative yet polite forum I have ever had the pleasure of being involved in.

Thank you Everyone!!!!!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2010 1:59:33 PM
She sure did!

I love it here! You do a splendid job! I have learned so much in such a short time and it is possibly the most informative yet polite forum I have ever had the pleasure of being involved in.

Thank you Everyone!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for that Susie, its much appreciated! We try hard to be a real resource for all diamond buyers and to keep a polite, welcoming atmosphere, so thats high praise indeed for us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results