shape
carat
color
clarity

For whitby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo dear whitby! I've had a stomach virus for the last few days, and late yesterday afternoon, after battling feeling crummy all day (but trying to pretend I was OK), I decided to go back to bed and to curl up with a book. What did I curl up with you ask? Your book! By the time it was bedtime I was up to page 75 and feeling very disappointed that I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I am so anxious to get back to your book this evening after dinner.

Your writing is as colorful as the book itself! and your characters- so lovely and precious (except for the evil beings who we won't mention). I can't tell you how much this adult is enjoying your words. I have to admit, I smiled a whole heck of a lot when I read about the symbol that the royalty of Prism bear on their foreheads. I smiled because I know of you through this special place we share every day in cyber space. I will give nothing away, I promise, it's just that so many of your special personal qualities shine through the precious characters of Prism.

Thank you so much for the special treat that "Prism" is. This adventure is so full of color and life that it completely removes the reader (temporarily) from their own reality. I love a great escape! I'm going to be very sad when I run out of pages to read, but I understand that book two is not far behind. I'll be one of the first to buy a copy of "The Deeper Darkness".

Thank you whitby. You can't imagine how much I needed this.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish there was the option to "like" a post. I too LOVED this book and I can''t wait to pass it along to my nieces and children.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it! I bought it a several months ago when I found out about it on here-I let my mom read it first, and I almost didn''t get it back. She was all up in arms b/c the 2nd one wasn''t done, and made me promise to email Whitby and ask about it. She''s asked a couple other times when it''ll be ready and she gives me the narrow eye when I tell her it''s still in progress. We both reread our books a lot, so we did decide that we''ll reread the first when the 2nd comes out. I love when I finish a book and am chomping at the bit for the next one!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea our Whitby was an author! I''m going to order this book now!
36.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 1:52:14 PM
Author: packrat
I know it! I bought it a several months ago when I found out about it on here-I let my mom read it first, and I almost didn''t get it back. She was all up in arms b/c the 2nd one wasn''t done, and made me promise to email Whitby and ask about it. She''s asked a couple other times when it''ll be ready and she gives me the narrow eye when I tell her it''s still in progress. We both reread our books a lot, so we did decide that we''ll reread the first when the 2nd comes out. I love when I finish a book and am chomping at the bit for the next one!
I''m going to have to buy myself a second copy to keep on my book shelf because this one is going to be lent out to three different people. I''m really disappointed though, that I can''t walk into my local Barnes & Noble or Borders and pick up another copy in person. Not only do they not have the book in their stores, it''s not able to be ordered through either store. I wonder why that is? I love going to my local B&N and coming home with books I''m anxious to read.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Gem - most of the bookstores use one or two of the mass companies that carry the books, but they don''t carry ALL books, which is quite unfortunate. I worked at a small bookstore that was the same, and there were books like that, which we had no access to.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi gemgirl :)

i''m very sorry you''ve been sick with a stomach virus.
7.gif
health-wise, the last thing you need, i know.

but i''m very pleased if Prism was able to help cheer you! i love nothing better than to curl up with a book if i''m feeling flat, be transported, and live vicariously for a bit. when those children are sliding backwards down the Quiver Mountains with every upwards step they take, one only *can* be pleased not to be there! (and trust me - it gets a lot worse before it gets better!)

Book 2 is coming! i''m in Australia at the moment, specifically trying to get it done, tho it''s going to take me a couple more months yet to finish, and then some time from there for editing, proof reading, and layout etc. The reason it''s not in book stores is because i self publish. When i first finished Prism, i had a feeling i wanted to self-publish, but sent it off to three agents to see what would happen. i picked the three agents i respected most world wide because i wanted a benchmark - a professional opinion that this wasn''t just something *I* liked. well, the first one retired the day he received it, which was rather daunting. but both of the others called me back (this sounds quick, but wasn''t. in both cases, Prism had to be read by 2 other people before being read by the agent in question and could be knocked out at any stage) and were very encouraging. that was enough for me to think, ok, i''m onto something, and push forward. book-selling is one of those things which is moving heavily into the online world, and i believed - and still believe - that, done correctly, one can publish successfully and bypass agents, at the very least.

so that''s what i decided to do and i''ve been chipping away at it ever since. i enjoy being my own boss, tho it means coordinating a team which comprises a web designer, a children''s artist, someone who handles the Kindle upload side of things, a proof reader, and my husband, who does....everything else! before i published it, i also did focus groups on it, using three different groups; 1) kids, 2) parents and 3) librarians to see if kids would enjoy reading it, if parents would be happy having their kids read it, and if teachers would promote it within schools. this was slow, and i did this, and only this, for a year while i lived in england. people seemed to enjoy it, so away i went! the results and feedback since then have been positive and encouraging. :)

i think it''s because i self-publish that i get a somewhat different response to most first time authors. Prism seems to be used as a fun tool to different issues, and i am often asked to speak in schools about Prism and the underlying theme of being peacemakers, or peaceable, and i love this. i''ve spoken on radio a little about self-publishing, and i occasionally speak in libraries - both school and public. given that most first time authors disappear into obscurity, i feel lucky that i''ve been able to take the reins in hand myself, and drive this where i wanted it to go. when i speak in schools, i always ask the kids if they know of someone in their class "who likes books - who loooooooves reading - someone who always seems to be dragging a load of books around with them....someone who even spends their *lunchtimes* in the library reading!...someone who might even have more books than friends?" the kids ALWAYS know who this child is, believe me! so then i call that child to the front, and i have in hand a copy of Prism, and a ready made inscription, missing only the child''s name. with the child standing next to me, i write their name in, then read the inscription out. it always says something like " ''Johnny'' - thank you for being someone who loves to read -as much as i love to write. Prism was created just for you! Remember - small people can do great things - and sometimes even the very smallest of us can be an unexpected hero or heroine. Best wishes..." and i have to tell you, i think i could spend my whole life just watching the look on that child''s face when this happens - when the child who is generally seen as the class nerd for one instant becomes the center of positive attention.

and that is, of course, why Prism was written. i''m so glad you like it, gemgirl (and hudson_hawk, and packie!) - i''ll try to make sure the next one lives up to your kind words!

get well soon :)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Whitby, I''m so pleased to learn about this book! I have a copy on the way to me. I''m looking forward to the journey into Prism
36.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 2:28:08 PM
Author: risingsun
Whitby, I'm so pleased to learn about this book! I have a copy on the way to me. I'm looking forward to the journey into Prism
36.gif
Marian, honest to goodness, cross my heart, this is the truth. When I started the book late Sunday afternoon and got fifty pages into it, I swear I thought "I wish I could get a hold of her and tell her about Prism. It would take her away!" and of course I meant you. After the conversations we've had (in our posts) over the last couple of weeks, I thought you might love this. It's a wonderful escape! whitby writes so colorfully and with so much detail, you could swear you're right there standing opposite the characters closely watching (or possibly involved with) what they're doing and what's going on around them. You're going to go on a great adventure!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:04:04 PM
Author: gemgirl

Date: 2/16/2010 2:28:08 PM
Author: risingsun
Whitby, I''m so pleased to learn about this book! I have a copy on the way to me. I''m looking forward to the journey into Prism
36.gif
Marian, honest to goodness, cross my heart, this is the truth. When I started the book late Sunday afternoon and got fifty pages into it, I swear I thought ''I wish I could get a hold of her and tell her about Prism. It would take her away!'' and of course I meant you. After the conversations we''ve had (in our posts) over the last couple of weeks, I thought you might love this. It''s a wonderful escape! whitby/Kareyn writes so colorfully and with so much detail, you could swear you''re right there standing opposite the characters closely watching (or possibly involved with) what they''re doing and what''s going on around them. You''re going to go on a great adventure!
Gemgirl~I''m so glad that you started this thread!! It''s just what the doctor ordered
2.gif
Thanks for thinking of me. You''re a sweetheart
1.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
folks,

i cant really comment on this thread any more than i have due to PS rules of fairness, which i support.

suffice to say - i wish you all much good, healthy, escapism in the world of books. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results