shape
carat
color
clarity

How Can I Find a 3+ CT "Designer" Diamond for Resale?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I''m considering buying a used diamond for my upgrade. After my disastrous (and still ongoing) experience with purchasing retail, I''ve been thinking that buying a used Tiffany/Cartier/Graff/Van Cleef/Harry Winston might be a way for me to get some "value" out of the transaction. The main attraction with going this route is that for the "retail" price of a no-name diamond I could get a name diamond and then be able to upgrade with them in the future.

How do I find these diamond rings? I''ve been looking around at a couple of options:

1) Vintage/Consignment - I''ve looked at both Signed Pieces and Dover. Right now Signed Pieces doesn''t have anything and Dover has 2 gorgeous rings, but way above my target price. I also think they would be priced higher than if I purchased from a private seller since they take their cut. Ideally I would like to deal with a private seller.

Tiffany 4.55 CT G VSI Emerald Cut

Cartier 5.28 CT G IF Emerald Cut

2) Auctions such as Christies and Sothebys. I''m a bit wary of going this way because I haven''t done it before and I''m not sure if I can''t get an appraiser in there to look.

3) eBay - using it as a lead, then contacting seller directly and arranging escrow, etc.

Any other ways of finding a ring that I''m not aware of?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 10:52:43 PM
Author:jgny
I'm considering buying a used diamond for my upgrade. After my disastrous (and still ongoing) experience with purchasing retail, I've been thinking that buying a used Tiffany/Cartier/Graff/Van Cleef/Harry Winston might be a way for me to get some 'value' out of the transaction. The main attraction with going this route is that for the 'retail' price of a no-name diamond I could get a name diamond and then be able to upgrade with them in the future.
YOU MAY WANT TO CONFIRM THIS WITH THESE VENDORS?

How do I find these diamond rings? I've been looking around at a couple of options:

1) Vintage/Consignment - I've looked at both Signed Pieces and Dover. Right now Signed Pieces doesn't have anything and Dover has 2 gorgeous rings, but way above my target price. I also think they would be priced higher than if I purchased from a private seller since they take their cut. Ideally I would like to deal with a private seller.

Tiffany 4.55 CT G VSI Emerald Cut

Cartier 5.28 CT G IF Emerald Cut

2) Auctions such as Christies and Sothebys. I'm a bit wary of going this way because I haven't done it before and I'm not sure if I can't get an appraiser in there to look.

3) eBay - using it as a lead, then contacting seller directly and arranging escrow, etc.

Any other ways of finding a ring that I'm not aware of?

also craigslist

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
buy a 5ct diamond off of craigslist??
slap4.gif
yssie,had you been drinking?
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what your past experiences were, but if you have a budget of over 100k, I would simply work with a reputable vendor. Much less chance of getting screwed that way than there is trying to buy on the secondary market!

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Now, that WOULD be a good Craigslist story! Kinda like that Woman sells new Porsche for $50 after husband runs off younger woman urban legend!

Man sells 5 CT Cartier for $100 on CL!
3.gif

Date: 2/16/2010 11:25:04 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
23.gif
slap4.gif
9.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 11:25:04 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
23.gif
slap4.gif
9.gif
FI got me a case of the most wonderful malbec, so... like a fish
2.gif

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Actually, budget of $60-75K. So more in the 3-3.5 ct range. Would have stone professionally appraised and use escrow to protect myself.

Date: 2/16/2010 11:28:23 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I don''t know what your past experiences were, but if you have a budget of over 100k, I would simply work with a reputable vendor. Much less chance of getting screwed that way than there is trying to buy on the secondary market!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results