shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfume...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if I can buy First by Hermes online (not EDT, not EDF but real Parfum) as well as Givenchy III EDT? I''ve been searching for years for them in Asia in the stores as well as at Heathrow last time I was in the UK, but haven''t been successful.
8.gif

I just *adore* classic perfumes.
30.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - I don''t know that I''ll be able to reserve myself to wearing just one scent.. or owning just one (ever), but I''d like to find the one that is a comfort to me, that I can wear at all times, and that others recognize as very "me". I have two so far that are running head to head, but am trying others. I''m still planning to collect as well though. I''m building a running list of what I''d like to try, and still have several Caron scents to save for.

Phoenix - Lorelei is the best gal to ask, I''d check ebay just in case.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 9:35:34 AM
Author: Phoenix
Does anyone know if I can buy First by Hermes online (not EDT, not EDF but real Parfum) as well as Givenchy III EDT? I've been searching for years for them in Asia in the stores as well as at Heathrow last time I was in the UK, but haven't been successful.
8.gif

30.gif
P I will gladly hunt for you and if I have any luck, post the links. I know most of the Hermes perfumes but I am not familiar with that one. I wore Givenchy III years ago so I am familiar with this fragrance, its a bright fresh perfume if I remember rightly?

ETA - definitely try Ebay also as D suggests.

Just to check, are you sure this First perfume is by Hermes? I know there is First by Van Cleef and Arpels?

See the link below,

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIRST-PARFUM-VAN-CLEEF-ARPELS-0-5-OZ-VINTAGE-SEALED_W0QQitemZ160340422527QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255508af7f

Here is Givenchy III, I hope it still smells similar as years ago due to the restrictions that perfumers have to follow now....
14.gif

http://uk.strawberrynet.com/perfume/givenchy/givenchy-iii-edt-spray/17724/?CurrId=GBP&src_affiliate=4508&campaign=GoogleUK+-+PF

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 9:57:47 AM
Author: dragonfly411
Lorelei - I don''t know that I''ll be able to reserve myself to wearing just one scent.. or owning just one (ever), but I''d like to find the one that is a comfort to me, that I can wear at all times, and that others recognize as very ''me''. I have two so far that are running head to head, but am trying others. I''m still planning to collect as well though. I''m building a running list of what I''d like to try, and still have several Caron scents to save for.

I understand, I think TdN is that one for me.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei - I don''t know that I''ll be able to reserve myself to wearing just one scent.. or owning just one (ever), but I''d like to find the one that is a comfort to me, that I can wear at all times, and that others recognize as very ''me''. I have two so far that are running head to head, but am trying others. I''m still planning to collect as well though. I''m building a running list of what I''d like to try, and still have several Caron scents to save for.

Thanks, dragonfly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:18:13 AM

Thanks, dragonfly.
Refresh the page P as I did a li''l sleuthing for you above and edited my posts!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:05:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

Does anyone know if I can buy First by Hermes online (not EDT, not EDF but real Parfum) as well as Givenchy III EDT? I've been searching for years for them in Asia in the stores as well as at Heathrow last time I was in the UK, but haven't been successful.
8.gif

30.gif
P I will gladly hunt for you and if I have any luck, post the links. I know most of the Hermes perfumes but I am not familiar with that one. I wore Givenchy III years ago so I am familiar with this fragrance, its a bright fresh perfume if I remember rightly?

Just to check, are you sure this First perfume is by Hermes? I know there is First by Van Cleef and Arpels?

See the link below,

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIRST-PARFUM-VAN-CLEEF-ARPELS-0-5-OZ-VINTAGE-SEALED_W0QQitemZ160340422527QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255508af7f

Here is Givenchy III, I hope it still smells similar as years ago due to the restrictions that perfumers have to follow now....
14.gif

http://uk.strawberrynet.com/perfume/givenchy/givenchy-iii-edt-spray/17724/?CurrId=GBP&src_affiliate=4508&campaign=GoogleUK+-+PF
Thank you so much, Lorelei. You're not just a Prosumer on diamonds but also (edited) on perfumes too!! WTG!!
36.gif
36.gif

[smack head]!! You're absolutely right, as always. It *is* by Van Cleef. In fact, I can just visualise the bottle right now. Don't know why I forgot that! I think I have Hermes on the brain, LOL!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:20:19 AM

Date: 2/3/2010 10:05:00 AM

8.gif

30.gif

See the link below,

14.gif

Thank you so much, Lorelei. You're not just a Prosumer on diamonds but only on perfumes too!! WTG!!
36.gif

[smack head]!! You're absolutely right, as always. It *is* by Van Cleef. In fact, I can just visualise the bottle right now. Don't know why I forgot that! I think I have Hermes on the brain, LOL!!
egyptian.gif

Having Hermes on the brain is completely understandable!

Also I found the First parfum here from this UK company, they might ship to your country. Scroll towards the bottom of the page, they have a 7ml bottle in stock.

http://www.escentual.com/van-cleef-and-arpels/first/

Alternatively, StrawBerryNet are based in HK I believe so they should be able to ship to you and if you ask them they might be able to source a bottle of First parfum for you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, I'm soooo glad I can now get the First Parfum. It's absolutely divine!

Hmmm...I didn't know about the restrictions. What are they? In fact, the Givenchy III packaging looks a little different from what I had before. The last time I got this perfume was in 2004 when my parents visited us and my dad bought me two bottles from Duty Free in Heathrow. I wonder if they've decided to repackage because of the restrictions. I hope the smell hasn't changed. I would describe it as a little woody. It's quite understated. The perfumes that I like are very similar, eg. Chanel no 5, Chanel no 19, First etc. I'd describe them as classic, elegant and understated.

He he about Hermes!!
1.gif
I still haven't got my Birkin yet. I took too long to decide on the one I posted about (thanks again for yr help on that), and it's now gone [pout!!].

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:27:56 AM
Lorelei, I'm soooo glad I can now get the First Parfum. It's absolutely divine!

Hmmm...I didn't know about the new restrictions. What are they? In fact, the Givenchy III packaging looks a little different from what I had before. The last time I got this perfume was in 2004 when my parents visited us and my dad bought me two bottles from Duty Free in Heathrow. I wonder if they've decided to repackage becaue of the new restrictions. I hope the smell hasn't changed. I would describe it as a little woody. It's quite understated. The perfumes that I like are very similar, eg. Chanel no 5, Chanel no 19, First etc. I'd describe them as classic, elegant and understated.

He he about Hermes!!
1.gif
I still haven't got my Birkin yet. I took too long to decide on the one I posted about (thanks again for yr help on that), and it's now gone [pout!!].
Its complicated with the restrictions but basically what has been happening is that certain substances used in perfumes for decades are now considered to be allergens or carcinogenic, ingredients such as oakmoss, nitromusks, certain jasmines and so on are now banned or restricted under the new regulations. This to us perfume lovers is basically changing the soul of the perfumes we love, they might smell similarish but some are a pale ghost of what they used to be. Also some ingredients are harder and more expensive to come by, hence the perfume companies trying to find substitutes.

The best way I can describe my impressions of most reformulated scents I have tried, is that the difference is comparable to a black and white photo compared to colour. Much of the depth and richness of the fragrance seems to be missing in many of them.

This is why I have gone over to modern perfumes that are less likely to suffer from tweaking and reformulating, its just so difficult to try an old love and find it isn't the same scent.....

You will get your Birkin, this one wasn't meant to be!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:27:08 AM
egyptian.gif

Also I found the First parfum here from this UK company, they might ship to your country. Scroll towards the bottom of the page, they have a 7ml bottle in stock.

Alternatively, StrawBerryNet are based in HK I believe so they should be able to ship to you and if you ask them they might be able to source a bottle of First parfum for you.
This is really great news!! I go to HK quite often and my two best friends are there.
36.gif

Thanks so much again, Lorelei.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:39:08 AM

Date: 2/3/2010 10:27:08 AM
egyptian.gif

This is really great news!! I go to HK quite often and my two best friends are there.
36.gif

Thanks so much again, Lorelei.
Very glad to help!!
35.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:38:45 AM

Its complicated with the restrictions but basically what has been happening is that certain substances used in perfumes for decades are now considered to be allergens or carcinogenic such as oakmoss, nitromusks, certain jasmines and so on and are now banned under new regulations. This to us perfume lovers is basically changing the soul of the perfumes we love, they might smell similarish but they are a pale ghost of what they used to be. Also some ingredients are harder and more expensive to come by, hence the perfume companies trying to find substitutes.

This is why I have gone over to modern perfumes that are less likely to suffer from tweaking and reformulating, its just so difficult to try an old love and find it isn''t the same scent.....

You will get your Birkin, this one wasn''t meant to be!
I hope this isn''t the case with these 2 perfumes!

Thanks for your comforting words abt the Birkin. It''s like the Holy Grail for me!
8.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:41:24 AM

Date: 2/3/2010 10:38:45 AM

Its complicated with the restrictions but basically what has been happening is that certain substances used in perfumes for decades are now considered to be allergens or carcinogenic such as oakmoss, nitromusks, certain jasmines and so on and are now banned under new regulations. This to us perfume lovers is basically changing the soul of the perfumes we love, they might smell similarish but they are a pale ghost of what they used to be. Also some ingredients are harder and more expensive to come by, hence the perfume companies trying to find substitutes.

This is why I have gone over to modern perfumes that are less likely to suffer from tweaking and reformulating, its just so difficult to try an old love and find it isn't the same scent.....

You will get your Birkin, this one wasn't meant to be!
I hope this isn't the case with these 2 perfumes!

Thanks for your comforting words abt the Birkin. It's like the Holy Grail for me!
8.gif
I hope not too, some are ok and maybe these two will still be good, they are very high quality perfumes and hopefully the ingredients and care taken in the modern formulation will mean they are still superb fragrances.

As for the Birkin, say the word and we can start hunting for you, I know some great resellers unless you find what you are looking for locally or in a Hermes boutique.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Just got 1 oz NIB Versace Signature (oh how I''ve wanted this) for just 20 dollars!!!!

Also got Shania by Stetson for 5

Goodness I love Ebay
16.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:21:03 PM
Just got 1 oz NIB Versace Signature (oh how I''ve wanted this) for just 20 dollars!!!!

Also got Shania by Stetson for 5

Goodness I love Ebay
16.gif
Well done! Is the Versace a tubereuse?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
No... more of a blend .... it has some light florals with musc and cedar and sandalwood. It really smells very nice on me... makes me feel pretty... and it lasts forever on my skin!

The end result of the past two days : Shania by Stetson, Versace Signature, Annick Goutal Passion (can''t wait to try) and Estee Lauder Pure White Linen Pink Coral (untested on skin but a full bottle for 16? couldn''t pass). I have smelled the Estee scent in store on paper, in air, and on another''s skin, but had worn something that day already... and I never could find samples. This just happened to be on ebay last night and I won the auction (didn''t even expect to).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:44:43 AM

I hope not too, some are ok and maybe these two will still be good, they are very high quality perfumes and hopefully the ingredients and care taken in the modern formulation will mean they are still superb fragrances.

As for the Birkin, say the word and we can start hunting for you, I know some great resellers unless you find what you are looking for locally or in a Hermes boutique.
Thank you so much, once again, Lorelei. Not wishing to thread-jack this thread any longer, I shall start a new one.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 9:58:02 AM

Date: 2/3/2010 10:44:43 AM

Thank you so much, once again, Lorelei. Not wishing to thread-jack this thread any longer, I shall start a new one.
1.gif
No worries, see you there!
35.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Balenciaga just came out with a lovely new scent -nice and light.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Bijoux - what is the name of it?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Dragonfly--it''s called Balenciaga Paris.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Thanks bijou!

My 1 oz Versace arrived this weekend, and my grandmother gave me some travel sizes of Estee Lauder Sensuous, Estee Lauder Beautiful and Estee Lauder Pleasures. I like sensuous a lot!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Just peeked into this thread yesterday, and today realized it's dangerous! I went to Saks and walked out with.... Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace. And a bunch of samples, including Bond Gramercy Park and Bond Saks Fifth Avenue for Her.

I also checked out the Jo Malone perfumes but they didn't really do it for me - though I may pick up the grapefruit in the summer. But the Bond perfumes...delicious!

ETA: I tried a TON of Bond No. 9 perfumes while I was there. My reactions:

Loved:
Scent of Peace
Bond. No. 9 (the new signature they have out - it smelled like Starbursts to me)
Nuits de Noho

Liked:
Chelsea Flowers
Astor Place (but I wouldn't get it - it reminds me a lot of Marc Jacobs Daisy and I already have that)
Saks Fifth Avenue for Her

Meh:
Chinatown
Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue
West Side
Gramercy Park

Didn't like:
Fashion Avenue
Bryant Park

Also walked out with samples for Tom Ford White Suede and Champaca. Liked both of those.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Trying out Annick Goutal Passion today, which I got a 15ml bottle of from Ebay. I like it a lot!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
It''s cold for Florida and I''ve really been enjoying vanilla perfumes. I have Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar (which I need to see if they have an actual perfume of this b/c it is so nice. Tabac Blond seems to have some vanilla notes... but I''m oh so careful about when I use it. Estee Lauder Pure White Linen Pink Coral ends with some vanilla notes. I am now enjoying Body Shop''s Vanilla EDT which is a nice soft, but warming vanilla. Vanilla is a warming smell for me... so it''s good for me in cold weather. I think I''d probably like spicy smells or even nutty smells at this time to.

I really want La Vanilla''s Pure Vanilla and their Lavender Vanilla

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Dragonfly, have you tried BBW Vanilla Noir? I''m interested in a couple of their limited edition vanilla scent products, and I can only find them on e-bay so I haven''t tried them yet.

General questions: How is Caron pronounced? Is it the same pronunciation as Leslie Caron? I picked up a gold canister of Fleurs de Rocaille at a garage sale. It says "Freshener" on it. What is that? A lighter formulation than an EDT? It''s very light and fades very quickly on me. I haven''t been splashing myself with room freshener have I?
32.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2010 11:34:15 AM
Author: Honey228
Dragonfly, have you tried BBW Vanilla Noir? I'm interested in a couple of their limited edition vanilla scent products, and I can only find them on e-bay so I haven't tried them yet.

General questions: How is Caron pronounced? Is it the same pronunciation as Leslie Caron? I picked up a gold canister of Fleurs de Rocaille at a garage sale. It says 'Freshener' on it. What is that? A lighter formulation than an EDT? It's very light and fades very quickly on me. I haven't been splashing myself with room freshener have I?
32.gif
I pronounce Caron as Car-onn, not 100% sure but thats how I pronounce it. Nice find with the FdR canister, I would guess this version is similar to an eau de cologne which is normally the weakest concentration of fragrance. It won't be room freshener!

Here is a quick guide to fragrance strengths and a little fragrance 101.

eau de cologne = as above is the lightest concentration of fragrance normally containing a large percentage of alcohol to perfume. Very suitable for morning wear and for refreshing frequently, eau de cologne isn't designed to have great longevity.

eau de toilette = a little stronger than eau de cologne. This is a very popular concentration as can be a lighter way to wear fragrance but can offer some longevity. In my experience, some EDT's can last a surprisingly long time on the skin. Very suitable for day wear/ office wear.

eau de parfum = this concentration is usually stronger, richer and more long lasting than EDC and EDT. Can be suitable for day and also evening wear. Normally more costly than the two previous strengths and can be more long lasting, some EDP's can stay on the skin for several hours.

parfum/ extrait = is the most concentrated and long lasting form of fragrance. Pure parfum has the highest concentration of perfume to alcohol and as such gives the ' truest' rendition of the fragrance. A common misconception is that parfum is strongly scented but often parfum blends softly on the skin and can last many hours. Parfum is traditionally worn in the evening but can in fact be worn anytime, as a complement to EDT or EDP or by itself. As pure parfum is concentrated and costly to purchase, it should be applied sparingly on pulse points.

Storing Fragrance.

As tempting as it is to display that pretty bottle on the dresser, fragrance is best kept in a dark place of stable cool temperature. The bathroom is not the best place due to the humidity. Keep fragrances in their box if possible and keep away from bright lighting and heat to preserve it. If fragrance is properly stored and cared for, it can last for many years.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lorelei, I knew I could count on you.
9.gif
One day I will put on my big girl pants and get an EDP.

Good advice about perfume storage, but argh, I already threw out the perfume box. And I just bought a pretty new glass bottle for the FdR too. But that''s why I tend to stick to one scent at a time, so I can use it before it goes bad.
28.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
From what I gather Car-onn is correct.

I''m assuming your "freshener" is exactly that... a room freshener. Many perfume lines carry them : ) You could still spritz like a body spray though.

I have not tried the Vanilla Noire but it sure does sound nice!

I''m really liking the Vanilla from the Body Shop and Estee Lauder Pure White Linen Pink Coral has some Vanilla in the ending.

My Annick Goutal turned out scrumptious, but I''m very sparing with how much I use it.... same with Tabac Blond (which is my ultimate scent).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results