shape
carat
color
clarity

Polishing out a chip on the girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hashoresh

Rough_Rock
How much does this reduce the clarity grade of a diamond? I do know that there will be some loss of carat weight (negligible in this case as the stone is large and the chip is small), but wonder also how doing this impacts the value of the stone?

Thanks.

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
how big is the chip and was the stone graded with it? do you have pictures?

my initial reaction is that it isn''t so simple as to just polish off a chip if you want the diamond to stay in proportion to the rest of the shape... btw, which shape is it?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2010 4:38:01 PM
Author:hashoresh
How much does this reduce the clarity grade of a diamond? I do know that there will be some loss of carat weight (negligible in this case as the stone is large and the chip is small), but wonder also how doing this impacts the value of the stone?

Thanks.
Polishing out a chip can in some cases improve the clarity grade but this very much depends on the chip itself as to how best to remove or reduce it. Sometimes the loss of weight is negligible and value is not affected but really you need an expert to advise you that can inspect the stone. It might be that the chip is best left alone but do seek expert advice.

Try Brian Gavin at www.briangavindiamonds.com or Bill Bray at www.brayscore.com for further advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results