shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strgt

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of these diamonds? They both got excellent scores when I put their dimensions into the cut advisor.

Diamond 1- DIAMOND 1
GIA Info- GIA CERT 1
Pricescope price- $4134

Diamond 2- DIAMOND 2
GIA Info- GIA CERT 2
Pricescope price- $4076

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 7:40:59 AM
Author:strgt
What do you guys think of these diamonds? They both got excellent scores when I put their dimensions into the cut advisor.

Diamond 1- DIAMOND 1
GIA Info- GIA CERT 1
Pricescope price- $4134

Diamond 2- DIAMOND 2
GIA Info- GIA CERT 2
Pricescope price- $4076
Hi strgt

The first has potential, ask for an Idealscope image, ID can normally provide these.

The second has excellent proportions apart from the depth, it is too deep for me personally.

strgt

Rough_Rock
Just curious but why do you not like the depth? I emailed them for an idealscope on the first diamond.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both looks good. Request idealscope image and post it here when you get it.

larger depth might result in a smaller face up diameter, but in this case negligible to me, a 0.02mm difference in diameter between the 2.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 8:02:39 AM
Author: strgt
Just curious but why do you not like the depth? I emailed them for an idealscope on the first diamond.
This is my answer to the question you asked me, it is too deep for me personally, although it isn't making much difference in this case to face up size, my preference is to go no deeper than 62.4% for this type of diamond. An Idealscope image will reveal more concerning the cut quality of each.

strgt

Rough_Rock
Diamond 1 Idealscope

DIAMOND1_SDS1437.jpg

strgt

Rough_Rock
Diamond 2 Idealscope

DIAMOND2_SDD1853.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally don''t like the numbers on stone 3 at all (table and depth).

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
#2 IS looks good. #1 either has some leakage or the setup is just not quite right (which is where I''m leaning). Can you ask for a retake of the IS for #1?

#3 would be more of a 60/60 type diamond that will tend towards brilliance (white light return) at the expense of fire (colored spectral light). Some people really like the look of 60/60''s, others don''t care for it as much. You would have to decide on that, but the overall numbers are good.

strgt

Rough_Rock
After talking to ID Jewelry, It seems like diamond #2 is a good quality diamond, and I like the price. Here are some pictures that show the H&A.

DIAMOND2_SDD1853_HEARTS-SM.jpg

strgt

Rough_Rock
Arrows:

DIAMOND2_SDD1853_ARROWS-SM.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond two looks nice from the images. Just be aware that it's a bit deep.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 9:43:50 AM
After talking to ID Jewelry, It seems like diamond #2 is a good quality diamond, and I like the price. Here are some pictures that show the H&A.
No hearts pic?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good, where is the hearts image?

strgt

Rough_Rock
Sorry, screwed up when I resized. Here is the hearts:

DIAMOND2_SDD1853_HEARTS-SM2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good but not H&A, hearts is slightly off.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SC - why do you say that? Is it the cleft in the hearts?

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 10:08:12 AM
Author: yssie
SC - why do you say that? Is it the cleft in the hearts?

ooo! ooo! i want to try
2.gif

yes clefts are biggest issue (enough to call it non-true-H&A), then mismatched heart sizes, then i think the separation between the points of the hearts and whatever that pointy area is called isn''t the cleanest... and if you''re really nitpicking, there are a few that are slightly lop-sided.

about right?

strgt

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I have gone and looked at some diamonds in person to get a better idea of what I want. I have this diamond on hold at I.D. but Im starting to have doubts what is best for me. I do like the idea of having a smaller mind clean stone, but I dont think my gf is going to know the difference and really appreciate this as much as I would! I may want to go bigger, so long as its eyeclean and still has a great cut. I found a 1.07 C diamond locally that looked great in person. It was recut from a 1.5c OEC stone that was traded in, and appeared to be really nice to me. Had it next to an AGS 0 stone, and while the AGS 0 was nicer, this one was close and much cheaper. Im awaiting the GIA cert to get done right now, and ill post the stats once that comes in.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
More because of the 2 halves of the heart are displaced, not mirrored of one another. Overall it is quite good optical symm but not perfect.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 2:39:20 PM
Ok, so I have gone and looked at some diamonds in person to get a better idea of what I want. I have this diamond on hold at I.D. but Im starting to have doubts what is best for me. I do like the idea of having a smaller mind clean stone, but I dont think my gf is going to know the difference and really appreciate this as much as I would! I may want to go bigger, so long as its eyeclean and still has a great cut. I found a 1.07 C diamond locally that looked great in person. It was recut from a 1.5c OEC stone that was traded in, and appeared to be really nice to me. Had it next to an AGS 0 stone, and while the AGS 0 was nicer, this one was close and much cheaper. Im awaiting the GIA cert to get done right now, and ill post the stats once that comes in.

Ok, will wait for the report.

strgt

Rough_Rock
Looking at some larger stones....

Would this be another 60/60 diamond? It got good scores on the HCA, but it is EGL. EGL F with some flourescence should help with the color right?

Diamond 4

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much too shallow, will probably have obstruction issue which is the diamond being dark from the viewer Point of View, not recommended for a ring stone.

Idealscope image will tell how badly it is being affected.

strgt

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I went through the tutorial here again and Im thinking I wont like this stone.

BTW, Yuketiel at ID has been great through this. Really impressed with the service. I called the local jeweler today and was told the grading labs are backed up so its going to be 7-10 days to get the stone certified. Im thinking this may be a selling technique because he knows I am shopping around. So, I may be driving down to NYC and checking this semi-H&A out in person. I told him I was looking at this H&A stone and he perked right up and said hell try to get it moving
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 5:16:06 PM
Thanks, I went through the tutorial here again and Im thinking I wont like this stone.

BTW, Yuketiel at ID has been great through this. Really impressed with the service. I called the local jeweler today and was told the grading labs are backed up so its going to be 7-10 days to get the stone certified. Im thinking this may be a selling technique because he knows I am shopping around. So, I may be driving down to NYC and checking this semi-H&A out in person. I told him I was looking at this H&A stone and he perked right up and said hell try to get it moving
9.gif
My spidey senses are tingling a little based on your description of your interactions with this jeweler... too many things sounds like lines to me (oh its just been cut, oh I haven''t sent it yet, oh GIA is backed up). Just be wary and don''t feel pressured. I am betting that he will offer to sell it to you at a "reduced price" if you buy it NOW before it goes to GIA.

strgt

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 5:22:53 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

9.gif

My spidey senses are tingling a little based on your description of your interactions with this jeweler... too many things sounds like lines to me (oh its just been cut, oh I haven''t sent it yet, oh GIA is backed up). Just be wary and don''t feel pressured. I am betting that he will offer to sell it to you at a ''reduced price'' if you buy it NOW before it goes to GIA.

Yea, mine are too...

How long is too long to have a jeweler hold a stone? Any etiquette that I should be aware of. Im weary of asking ID to hold this stone too long because im only 75% set on it right now. I had planned on looking for a little longer than I have been, and Im not 100% confident I have enough experience to drop $4k on a stone just yet.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2010 12:10:53 PM

Date: 2/3/2010 5:22:53 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

9.gif

My spidey senses are tingling a little based on your description of your interactions with this jeweler... too many things sounds like lines to me (oh its just been cut, oh I haven''t sent it yet, oh GIA is backed up). Just be wary and don''t feel pressured. I am betting that he will offer to sell it to you at a ''reduced price'' if you buy it NOW before it goes to GIA.

Yea, mine are too...

How long is too long to have a jeweler hold a stone? Any etiquette that I should be aware of. Im weary of asking ID to hold this stone too long because im only 75% set on it right now. I had planned on looking for a little longer than I have been, and Im not 100% confident I have enough experience to drop $4k on a stone just yet.
Ask Yuketiel. Is it a diamond he owns or one he has out on memo? He may only be able to keep it on memo for a short time and if another jeweler calls it in, he would most lkely have to send it off. What is ID''s return policy? It is also an option to buy it and then keep looking during the return period. But I would just tell ID that you want to see some other options too! Larger and lower color perhaps, or that you want him to find you a vg cut from GIA that still performs great (they exist). He should be able to help you out.

strgt

Rough_Rock
Diamond 5

What do you guys think of this one? I am trying to get an idealscope right now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results