shape
carat
color
clarity

how do you feel about buying somebody else''s trade in stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would it bother you? should vendors sell "the trade in stone" for a better price compared to a newly cut stone?

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
If it was a stone I liked and wanted, I wouldn''t mind at all. I think I would prefer to know, though.

Some vendors do let you know if a stone has been traded. Not sure about them all, but the only one I have experience of this with is DBL- there is a ''trade-up special'' section on the site, with a small price reduction. I''ve seen a stone I traded up appear there. I almost bought it back - moral of the story, don''t trade up a stone you really, really love, you''ll miss it horribly!
39.gif

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
i''ve had this discussion with my intended several times. in my (apparently severely limited male) opinion, there shouldn''t be a difference... carbon is carbon is carbon. as long as there''s no damage and i know what i''m getting, no problem.

in her eyes, forget about it. it''s "do not want" in the extreme degree... she has no interest in "someone else''s diamond" with "someone else''s memories", etc. etc.

that being said, if there was a trade in with a re-certification somehow, she''d probably never know the difference.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
"Diamonds last forever" I'm sure many get recycled.

It wouldn't bother me if I liked the stone.

PS: I have the same limited male opinion as Tony (above me)
25.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
That''s a good point - I suppose my diamonds will be around for longer than I will.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
doesn''t bother me at all, though I''d want it recerted, or have the price reflect it not having a certification.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s fine. I prefer OECs so I''m not bothered by wearing someone else''s store. The diamond will be around a lot than I am, I hope someone else get to wear it. It''d be sad for it to sit in a box dejected. It also allows people to trade-up if they are ever able to.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sure most vendors sell traded stones with new certs. I am willing to bet they don''t tell the customers that the stone is "used".

Does it bother me - I guess what I don''t know won''t hurt.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t like it. I baby my diamond and I''d be worried that the previous owner didn''t, and that maybe there were tiny chips in the stone.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
It wouldn`t bother me in the least, especially if I got a better price for it and it was an ideal cut to begin with. I`d like to see more vendors have this option (a section only for traded in stones).

I`m certain the diamonds looks the same as they did the day they were cut (or pretty darn close to it if they were well cared for) so why not buy a "used" diamond and save $ for a new setting?
9.gif

Cachette
1.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care in the least - if it's exactly what I'm looking for, if I can trust and verify that it's being sold to me in like-new condition, and it's a good price I'll take it!

I just don't see why it matters - a diamond is a rock, literally, and rocks have no feelings/karma attached.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t bother me either.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm with the majority: I would be fine with owning someone's trade-in stone. If I like the stone and want it, then whether or not it had a previous owner makes no difference.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn''t bother me a bit...would want to make sure it had not been damaged in any way since the cert.
If I could get it for a better deal since it was "used" that would be even better
9.gif

blueberrydot

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know very much about the diamond industry at all, but I kind of don''t understand how the average consumer could ever be 100% sure that no one ever owned their diamond before they did. How would one know if their stone is freshly mined out of the ground with no previous owners? I read somewhere (maybe here!) that sometimes jewelers will take a trade-in diamond, have it repolished and perhaps even recut to make it "new" again, and they will send it off to a lab and have the certification re-done. Whoever buys that diamond will have absolutely no idea that it had another life. But like I said, I don''t know much about the diamond industry and perhaps there actually is a way to know if your diamond you''re buying is brand new!

I actually think there''s a certain romance about having a previously owned diamond. What kind of history does it hold? Maybe it survived wars, disasters, epic world events. Maybe it''s the relic of a lifetime of love. I think that''s cool! I know that many of the noble families of Europe had to sell family jewels and the like when money would get tight - how awesome would it be if your diamond had once been owned by royalty/nobility? I don''t know how likely that is, but I''d definitely consider my diamond to be more valuable if it had some sort of cool history!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2010 5:54:41 PM
Author: blueberrydot
I don't know very much about the diamond industry at all, but I kind of don't understand how the average consumer could ever be 100% sure that no one ever owned their diamond before they did. How would one know if their stone is freshly mined out of the ground with no previous owners? I read somewhere (maybe here!) that sometimes jewelers will take a trade-in diamond, have it repolished and perhaps even recut to make it 'new' again, and they will send it off to a lab and have the certification re-done. Whoever buys that diamond will have absolutely no idea that it had another life. But like I said, I don't know much about the diamond industry and perhaps there actually is a way to know if your diamond you're buying is brand new!

I actually think there's a certain romance about having a previously owned diamond. What kind of history does it hold? Maybe it survived wars, disasters, epic world events. Maybe it's the relic of a lifetime of love. I think that's cool! I know that many of the noble families of Europe had to sell family jewels and the like when money would get tight - how awesome would it be if your diamond had once been owned by royalty/nobility? I don't know how likely that is, but I'd definitely consider my diamond to be more valuable if it had some sort of cool history!
I've seen HPD post pics of the rough - I'd guess that's about the only way to know for sure!

OT - A bug's life is one of my favourite "happy" movies
9.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Are any stones really ''new''? Aren''t they all used?

Does any really expect that the gem is waiting for your marriage; surely gems can play around too...

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 5:54:41 PM
Author: blueberrydot
I actually think there''s a certain romance about having a previously owned diamond. What kind of history does it hold? Maybe it survived wars, disasters, epic world events. Maybe it''s the relic of a lifetime of love. I think that''s cool! I know that many of the noble families of Europe had to sell family jewels and the like when money would get tight - how awesome would it be if your diamond had once been owned by royalty/nobility? I don''t know how likely that is, but I''d definitely consider my diamond to be more valuable if it had some sort of cool history!

The fact that diamonds have a small chance of being made from life forms that predate the dinosaurs, and an even greater chance of coming from carbon older than that... sorta puts all human ''significance'' in perspective, eh?
2.gif

Also agree A Bug''s Life is a pretty good movie... haven''t seen it in forever though.

Noreen

Rough_Rock

As an engagement stone it would bother me very much! As anything else maybe not.

On a similar point: Many European’s (English & Irish) are into antique or estate jewelry, so much so, that many “antiques” are actually new, marketed by the auction or store as old! When evaluate the “antiques” are not good, bad cuts, etc… so I guess you need to look at each stone using today’s standards and knowledge.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Nope. It wouldn''t bother me at all as long as it was a good stone.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Considering my last purchase of a diamond was from an estate sale, nope doesn''t bother me. I would hope that if used a good store/sales person would at least check over the diamond for any chips and repolish and get a new cert before a sale.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume the diamond I am wearing was probably previously owned as are almost all the diamonds in current e-rings. How would I know? It is sold to me as new. What is new? Either way, it wouldn''t bother me as long as I love the stone.

Roxie Bling

Rough_Rock
Trade
No, it wouldn''t bother me to purchase someone else''s trade in for an upgrade.

In fact, that is exactly what I am hoping for in order to get the 8 main cushion of my dreams.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wifey2b's ering stone is a recut of a trade-in and her first was bought at a pawn shop.
Don't bug either of us at all.

edit: since I am trade now im not sure I should have answered this but it is the same answer I have given for over 5 years if anyone wants to check.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t care one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results