shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever go on theknot.com and read....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that there are few things that tend to have their own category, and diamonds are one of them. Contracts on houses, couches, doctor's prognoses ARE NOT buying diamonds.

Why? Because a house contract will most likely be looked over by several people before being signed, including lawyers. I wouldn't sign anything without reading it fully, and making note of something I need clarification on, like Mara. If someone doesn't, they are very very trusting or lazy. A doctor's prognosis, if serious enough is seconded by most people, unless they are trusting or lazy...(or the doctor is related).

Why are diamonds so different? Because the nature of the item. It's a luxury item that is SO steeped in emotion, that a person is uneducated in it (98%) and they WANT to trust someone on the semantics, because they tend to concentrate on the other emotional aspects like HOW to ask, WHEN to ask, WHAT the ring will look like, etc...There is no greater emotional purchase. Not even a house. Do you buy a house just because it's pretty, but one side has a major highway and the other a busy railroad track? NO! You still research houses, more than people research diamonds. They think they are all the same, and that could be because it's in the better interest of the sellers to have us think that. You don't see house sellers tell you that the houses on the block are all the same...

Diamonds are mysterious and alluring. They are enshrouded in ideals of love and people even tie up emotions of if he loved me, I would get a "bigger", "clearer", "whiter" diamond...etc.
People can get married without owning a house, but now adays, can people get engaged without people asking, "where's the ring?" So you see, diamonds are almost a mysterious, emotional, necessary luxury expense, so many people are trapped into buying them trusting someone who wants them to know as little as possible and follow their word on it. SOME of us, don't like that idea, so hence Price Scope...
9.gif

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/22/2004 10:13:12 PM Mara wrote:

Okay but what about these tools..and online HCA etc...she doesn't want to hear it. In fact she thinks I'm nuts. She most likely also thinks that D VVS is great because it's so 'quality'. I don't even bother trying to tell her anything about my knowledge anymore because she thinks I'm a wackjob.
rolleyes.gif

----------------

I've asked a friend what color her diamond was and her reply was "white".
5.gif

But I don't claim to be any better. After all, I'm one of those that Mara pointed out who purchased (well, fiance did) and came here and asked whether my diamond is good. (Just wanted to hear some nice things from the more "knowledgeable" diamond experts/lovers. But I'd only take the good comments and not the bad.
2.gif
)

I have a F VS1 from a B&M store, and this is after I've been lurking awhile on this site and another diamond site. My diamond costs more. Am I stupid? I don't consider myself that.
2.gif
I think it's about preference and priority. I'm looking at the whole ring, not just the stone. I wanted colorless, I didn't want SI, and I wanted THE specific setting. That was enough info for my fiance and we agree that nothing else will do and that is priceless. Well, it helps that we have the financial means to have our dream ring. For others, maybe saving money was more important, maybe knowing that you can get the one diamond for less money was more important, whatever suits your fancy. Ignorance really is bliss. For those who didn't know better and got the D VVS1 expensively obviously could afford it and maybe couldn't care less about spending more money. Hey, it helps the economy.
5.gif
I say there's a superiority complex everywhere: some feel superior knowing they got the best bang for the buck, and others feel superior knowing that they have the buck to spend. Can't we all just get along?
2.gif

I know I'm on Pricescope's forum but am playing the devil's advocate
11.gif
: not everyone agrees that HCA works.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/30/2004 4:07:53 AM foundnemo wrote:

I know I'm on Pricescope's forum but am playing the devil's advocate
11.gif
: not everyone agrees that HCA works. ----------------

Hee hee, FoundNemo, I like your icon, it's evil, but funny!!!

Well, without making this an HCA argument, I think people are mostly arguing what's it is used for, and not if it works or not.

Mostly the people who don't use it, are those who either don't agree with the "ideal" cut dimensions it uses, or they use their eyes to evaluate stones, and don't see the benefit of the HCA, when the eyes are not present...

But yes, not everyone wants or needs a perfect precision cut stone, but it's good to know that they are out there! (even if I don't own one YET!)
2.gif
9.gif

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
Hee hee, FoundNemo, I like your icon, it's evil, but funny!!!
-----

It's YUMMY!
3.gif

I know I'm in a diamond forum. But while most people are going for the BEST diamond, I'm going for the BEST ring -- the whole package. I've lurked here for a year and have looked at many settings but none make me swoon as much as the setting of my ring. To me the whole ring is gorgeous, and I'd rather get a beautiful ring with a good (but not the best) diamond than a HoF or 8* on a setting that's not esthetically pleasing to me.

Like I said, just preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results