shape
carat
color
clarity

Too get earrings then propose or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

squares

Rough_Rock
(And yes, I spelled To wrong... geez, long day!) Ok, so my e-ring turned out to be a little less than my budget but won't be ready for a few more weeks. Problem is, her bday is coming up soon too. Should I spring for a set of earrings for her bday (hopefully to throw her off some too) or try to use this money for a short weekend getaway for the proposal? If I use it for the trip, I won't have really any money left over for her bday gift!? Help?

Thanks!

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
get her something for her birthday! you'll probably annoy her quite a bit, otherwise, and that certainly isn't the intention.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
They both sound like great ideas.

Does she already have a pair of diamond earrings? If not, I can tell you that I started to wear my diamond studs a LOT more after I got my engagement ring. It was nice to be able to match my earrings to my ring. If she's in to jewelery, then this might be a good option.

The trip also sounds great. I would go with the trip if she's not much of a jewelery girl. Especially if you haven't traveled much together, it's a great opportunity to be together and create some fun memories.

You can't lose either way. Let us know what you decide!

squares

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. She likes jewelry but has nothing nice. I'd think she would definitely want earrings or a necklace (at least for dressier occasions) to go with her ring. I have a few days to think about it. Of course, she also loves to travel. Maybe I'm in a win-win situation as you put it and I'm just thinking of it as a "glass is half full"... Hmmm... Thanks again!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
You already know my answer.

Actually, you can do it all. Get her something little... $50-100. Blue Nile is great for stuff like that. Schedule a vacation for right after you plan to propose (so as not to give it away.)

Then right after you pop the question, tell her you're also sweeping her off to a paradise vacation (or wherever you plan on going).

You'll be the man for a long-long time!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Why get her diamond earrings, then? Why not just get her something cheaper? You can save the earrings as her wedding gift.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
You definately should get her a b-day gift. Big or smaller is the tradeoff I suppose. I'm sure she would cherish diamond earrings, but the trip sounds like a memory you can't recreate, and you can get the diamond earrings for many occasions...hmmm...I normally vote in favor of the jewelery over an event or trip since it is lasting, but not sure I do in this case.

my 2cents...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Note: I am fully awarethat is is not Friday.

As I am the broken record of Tiffany's $200 and under silver rings, I will chime in here.

I say make the trip and give her the gift, if you can still swing it. My engagement was about the trip (experience) and the ring, so it made the memory SO much more memorable to both of us!!!

I really think Tiffany's silver rings make an excellent gift that shows elegance and affordability, while still preserving the Oooh and Aaah factor of name brand. That darned blue box really works!

So amny pretty rings on their site, I suggest you head over there, type in the price range at $200 or under, and see how many cute rings and earrings they have... I got a Tiffany's promise ring, and it's like getting the name without spending the $$ on the e-ring!!!

squares

Rough_Rock
You all have some good suggestions, and Nicrez, I think your proposal has influenced me a lot based on vertical's suggestion. I still need to figure it out as I don't have a huge budget but I definitely would like to go away. I'll head over to the "friday" site tomorrow and see what I can find. I just hope I can pull it all off!

Thanks everyone!
twirl.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
My husband gave me a diversion gift from Tiffany. It was the silver necklace with the open heart pendant. I think it was really appropriate because of the heart. It's not too expensive at all, less that $200. I feel all warm and fuzzy when I wear it because it's so connected in my mind to the whole engagement experience.

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Definitely don't skip the b-day gift! My b-day is new year's day and people tend to skip out on gifts for me. My boyfriend found out our first year of dating that even if its a $20 gift, its better than nothing at all.
2.gif

I love the Tiffany's ring idea. It will totally throw her off about the e-ring. Or, if you wanted to make her a gift (paint your own pottery, or make her a nice collage of pictures), then you could save all the money for a proposal.

-Sarah

squares

Rough_Rock
I found a really cool ring on Tiffany's site - that is a great idea! Now the hard part- finding a vacation package (and leaving enough time in case the ring is delayed at vatche). Any suggestions for somewhat inexpensive (but still nice places) in the Carib? I looked at Nicrez's Wyndham in St Thomas I think it is but I'd be worried about having tons of kids around? It looks incredible there however. Definitely can't afford sandals
sad.gif
Hmmm, lots of expedia and travelocity today...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results