shape
carat
color
clarity

Calibrated Stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Hi, all. Probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway. I have recently upgraded my e-ring. I now have my original diamond that is loose and patiently waiting for me to do something with it. I have a design in my head and it requires that I set two blue sapphires (preferably square) approx. .25 ct. one on either side of the .65 ct. marquise diamond. I saw on some sites that they sell calibrated stones. I think that means that I could order two or more and they would be a match size wise, correct? After said purchase, I was also thinking of having them concave cut. Would someone be able to concave cut a stone that small or would I have to go larger to give them more room to play?

This is a future project, and it requires that I start thinking of how to source my stones, hence the early question. Thanks for any help you can give.

Shay

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be great to leave the person who will do the concave cutting get the stones - this is just my best guess. Since these will not be huge, this can only benefit the reult without any value issue. It is much safer too, since the cutter would know exactly what works and teh whole process can be quite transparent. Actually, it does not sound impossible to just order a pair of squares concave cut like this - a professional would almost always be able to get better prices on such amterial than you can.

While by defintion 'calibrated' stones should match, don't expect perfection. Also, it is not a straightforward task to locate calibrated pieces of decent quality. More often than not the stones cut and sold as 'calibrated' would be quite run of the mill (I obviously do not know the particular case, of couse).

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Val, thank you so much for your reply. I definitely want to take my time locating the right sapphires for the job. I just don't want to pay too too much for them. The ring I have in my head is a wide band, two-tone, marquise running north and south, flanked by 2 sapphires (radiant or princess would be nice), blue of course, with some ACA melee burnish set around here and there. The main body of the band would be 18k white palladium mix, and I want 18k yellow braided look on the outer edges of band to incorporate the yellow gold I wear most often. What do you think?

Shay

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/23/2004 11:34:24 AM Shay37 wrote:

What do you think?

----------------

Well, I wish I were a jeweler, 'cause this sounds like a nice little challenge
1.gif
It would likely be the making of the piece, not finding the stones that could prove the worst drain.

Small, nicely cut princess sapphire are sometimes listed at places such as simplysapphires, creativegems and (pairs)multicolour.

Sometimes prices are inflated (not often at this guys, as far as I know), but haven't seen bargains too often: if it looks good on screen and the price is really low, than there must be something going on -I usually assume. However, small stones are always bon marche and the serh is always pleasant
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results