shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, a lavender Spinel of my own!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful. It''s so hard to find one in that lavender shade. I hope I get as lucky. It''s very pretty.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
The color looks beautiful! Lavendar and periwinkle are both such pretty colors. Personally, I would set it in white metal in a semi bezel with an open profile, like the Scholdt or the WF Keystone. The semi bezel would add some size, and still allow color to be visible from the side.

WF KeystoneSemiBezel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting style reminds me of MariedTiger''s Nordic Queen ring with a lavender spinel.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous colour!!!! Adore Barry''s cutting, and I''m a yay on the mixed metals! I just love seeing pictures of your sapphire!!!!!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
omg AJ, your lavender spinel is sooo pretty (color & cut wise). Congrats & Happy new year
36.gif

canada_ham

Shiny_Rock
that is a gorgeous stone! i love the color!
30.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone, love the colour and cut
30.gif

Looking foward to seeing your plans for it!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! AJ, you and your lovely gems are SO not good for my 2010 resolution to rein in my gem buying!
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2010 12:50:36 PM
Author: Kay
The color looks beautiful! Lavendar and periwinkle are both such pretty colors. Personally, I would set it in white metal in a semi bezel with an open profile, like the Scholdt or the WF Keystone. The semi bezel would add some size, and still allow color to be visible from the side.
Kay,
I adore that setting and anything semi bezel allowing lots of light in. It''ll be perfect for AJ''s new spinel. I''ll bet the spinel will continue to sparkle like the dickens in it.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
ooooo- lovely, crisp colour. I''m getting to really like these lavenders.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
AJ, this looks great! It''s SO beautiful, it reminds me a lot of Freke''s
30.gif

And the fire on that sapphire, soooo yummy!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou so much everyone for your enthusiastic comments and setting suggestions!
I''ll come back a lil later as bit short on time atm, but wanted to post about my setting idea -

I know its a lil different, but I thought straight away that the lavender spinel would make such good friends with the purple spinel I have from Gene..
I don''t have any concrete ideas for a setting yet, but reckon white metal is the go-er..

I noticed a number of people liked the idea of a halo..I''ll post some photos of the two spinels, I''d appreciate honest opinions on whether folks think they will work in a 2 stone ring together, or any design ideas?

cheers!

DSC06460rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06464rs.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly I wouldn''t do it. I think both of those stones deserve to shine on their own.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06471rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
on the hand..

DSC06485rs.JPG

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Freke summed it up!! It''s breathtaking, aj!!!! And I love those two colours together. What about a bypass type ring, with one stone at each end?

Either way, yummy tummy
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
whoa, sorry about that massive hand!

and a perspective shot:

DSC06482rs.JPG

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I was trying to describe, but without the rows of pave in the middle, just 1 band with a stone at each tip. Whatever you do with it, it will be amazing!!

BypassRingPic.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Freke and Andi for your compliments and f/back -

so you don''t like the idea at all Freke..?

Andi, a bypass style was kinda what I had in mind, but nothing concrete...99% I would have Julia do the setting..

I know they would make an awesome pendant together, but I simply wouldn''t wear it I''m afraid..
7.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh, yeah, I hear you on that, I''ll probably sell my BB tourm I has set because I feel I have enough rings (GASP!) and just don''t wear it as a necklace, I rarely take off my diamond pendant. Shame, it''s so pretty.

If they''re set together you can admire them at the same time! I must say that I personally LOVE the two colours together and think they''d make a spectacular piece together... in saying there aren''t many CSers ideas and opinions I look up to more than Freke! That''s how much I love the idea
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 1:05:44 AM
Author: DandiAndi
Ahh, yeah, I hear you on that, I''ll probably sell my BB tourm I has set because I feel I have enough rings (GASP!) and just don''t wear it as a necklace, I rarely take off my diamond pendant. Shame, it''s so pretty.

If they''re set together you can admire them at the same time! I must say that I personally LOVE the two colours together and think they''d make a spectacular piece together... in saying there aren''t many CSers ideas and opinions I look up to more than Freke! That''s how much I love the idea
9.gif
Awwww!!!! So sweet!!!I am so very flattered.

Ok, lets get down to the nitty gritty. I have issues with symmetry, so that''s my main issue. You will probably never see me with a bypass ring because I have SERIOUS jewelry symmetry issues.
23.gif

Having said that, I think depending on how it''s done, I think it could be an interesting piece.

How I could see it working (even WITH my issues) in my head is something like glitterata''s spinel bypass ring, only I would have one "arm" curve down to hold the round, and one "arm" to curve up and hold the oval--of course I would set the oval N/S. So they would go in a line-straight up and down the finger. They wouldn''t be far apart or anything, but it would give you MAJOR N/S finger real estate coverage. Does this make ANY sense?

Like this, only the branches would curve up and down more: Link
Or like this, again with the "arms" curving N/S more: Link

Obviously Julia could execute this easily.

Onto my next issue. I''m not a huge matcher. I don''t match my clothes, I don''t match my shoes and I don''t match my jewelry. To each other or to anything else (well, maybe my car...). But I do like to coordinate things, and unless it''s all in a very similar color family (for instance I have a piece on it''s way to me that goes from acid-y green to deep teal blue, but has just about every color in between) with slight gradients...so the jump from a deep regal purple to a light lavender blue is a bit hard for me to imagine what to coordinate shoes...I mean...outfits with. Because of your three stone, I don''t think this is an issue for you.
3.gif
You lucky, LUCKY girl.

So to sum up:
Freke has symmetry issues.
Freke has color and matching issues.
Freke has other issues that haven''t been mentioned but don''t pertain to this particular case.
3.gif

And to sum that up: Freke would put them in separate pieces so as to not deal with said symmetry and color issues.
9.gif

HOWEVER, because you (AJ) do not have above issues, none of this pertains! It is solely what I would do if the gemmies were in my possession.

(And you have just seen an example of one reason not many of my gems are set. The other main reason is $$$.
1.gif
)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful stone AJ - exact colour I am also looking for! Just confirms my desire for a spinel as my new ering stone....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 3:39:52 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Ok, lets get down to the nitty gritty. I have issues with symmetry, so that''s my main issue. You will probably never see me with a bypass ring because I have SERIOUS jewelry symmetry issues.
23.gif
Amen to that! I''m so pleased there''s somebody out there with the same "issues" as me!
9.gif

Seriously AJ, both of your spinels are stunning. They deserve showcasing as individual stones. Not only that but actually, for a bypass ring, they''re too big don''t you think?

I adore both of your Spinels and it would be a shame to detract from their beauty by setting them in the same piece.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would set them together into a pendant, but probably not a ring.

But yay for more pics!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely new spinel, I kind of like the idea of a bypass ring, with the oval set at 45 degrees angle.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I think wearability comes first, and they do go together beautifully. They are gorgeous enough to be set alone too, of course. I like the thought of having something made that you will wear a lot. The three stone ring Julia made for you was lovely. I think Julia will come up with something gorgeous for you this time as well!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Stones work very well together and would make a really unique piece, so if you''d like that, go for it. Pendant was my first thought too when it comes to using both in the same piece, but I think a ring is an equally interesting possibility. Whatever you do (with them both) you''ll have to think outside the box, that''s for sure.

Since I have a serious case of OCD (or "symmetry issues", as Freke puts it politely), you won''t hear me suggesting weird angles and proportions, so here it goes.

First thought is setting round above, oval below set E/W, both in claw prongs, white metal. The issue might be how to connect both of them with the shank on both sides, and I think an answer could be setting them on top of a signet style ring, so that the prongs come from within the signet and hold the stones (with holes in the signet for the stones, of course).

You can also have just a wire frame/outline of some shape (rectangle, trillion, pear...), and have stones set inside that frame, the frame itself continues into the shank. It would look like an outline of a large stone made out of metal is set into a ring, with two stones set inside of it.

You could also set the oval N/S, but I don''t like how the shapes and sizes work together that way, cause oval is quite narrow compared to a round regardless of which one is on top and which one below. Maybe adding the third stone (something like a tiny white brilliant, either between them or at one end) would look nice, but that would make the ring even more substantial.

You can also change proportions slightly, by adding diamonds around/along one of them (fully or partialy), but not to the other.

Bypass and it''s variations are obviously good ideas for making a two stone ring.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Freke. My color and symmetry issues would prevent me from combining those two stones in one ring. I would let each shine in its own setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results