shape
carat
color
clarity

Any knitters out there?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My SIL knits all the time and made some wonderful gifts for us for Christmas that got me thinking about taking up knitting. I''m currently unemployed, so I also wonder if some kind of project would be good for me (though I''ve never been a crafty type of person). Anyone have stories to share? What are some good, practical, first projects? My mom knits, but only does scarves, hence I have at least 10 already
3.gif
Is there anything else a beginner could make that would still be useful?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how to knit or crochet, although I''d love to learn to do both. I remember reading in the home section of a paper a while back about a book- I had to look it up just now b/c all I could remember was it had Bitch in the name. It''s Bitch N Stitch . And the Happy Hooker is for crocheting.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 6:05:16 PM
Author: packrat
I don''t know how to knit or crochet, although I''d love to learn to do both. I remember reading in the home section of a paper a while back about a book- I had to look it up just now b/c all I could remember was it had Bitch in the name. It''s Bitch N Stitch . And the Happy Hooker is for crocheting.
Lol. I might have to get that just for the catchy title!

My mom taught me how to knit when I was a kid. I remember making a square out of this blue-ish purple-ish yarn that was about 4"x6". That was as far as I got before getting bored
2.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I knit and crochet and have a knitting machine as well, called the Incredible Sweater Machine. (http://www.bond-america.com/products/usm.html)

When looking for projects I go to http://lionbrand.com/ . They have both free knit and crochet patterns by level of ability. They also have instruction for various stitches.

Things I have made include scarves, gloves, mittens, socks, arm socks, leggings, sweaters, blankets, throws, wine bottle sacks, ornaments, hair scrunchies, purses (felting), pot holders.

Pot holders are good easy projects if you are learning to knit, because if you screw them up it really doesn''t make a difference and usually no one notices.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Flat things like scarves and blankets are easiest, obviously! But (about 7 years go) I took a class on "knitting in the round" and now I can make hats, mittens and sleeves (along with the rest of the sweater).

If you''re just looking to kill time and get into a project, rather than making gifts or items for yourself, there are some wonderful organizations that ask people to donate hand-knit blankets, hats, etc to the needy or sick. Often they will specify the size/shape you need to knit for a donation.

Good luck!
1.gif

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
When I first started knitting, I first learned how to knit dishcloths. I really like making them and I either keep them or give them away as gifts. This is the pattern that I learned with: Dishcloth Pattern. It''s really easy and I would recommend purchasing the Sugar ''n Cream yarn for them. It''s 100% cotton and you can find it at Michael''s, Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Meijer, etc. You can usually get 2 rags out of one skein. Oh, I also would recommend using Bamboo needles. I just prefer them over the plastic or metal ones. Happy Knitting!!
1.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think I may go for it ... and maybe start with some pot holders or a dish rag since I could always use those. I''d really prefer to make things that I can use, but it seems like I might run out of things to make? (of course unless I started making sweaters, but those are expensive). I guess it can''t hurt to spend a few bucks at Michaels to see if I like it! I''m mostly afraid that I''ll get bored of it in a week
3.gif
Like I said, I''ve never been into crafty stuff. So I''ll give it a shot!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just started knitting about a month ago and I love it!

I first started by buying a book called I Can Teach Myself How to Knit! or something like that. It was okay for a while, but very frustrating every time I made a mistake and couldn''t figure out how to fix it.

THEN, I went to a small, locally owned knitting shop with a friend just a few weeks ago and it was AWESOME! There were a bunch of women sitting in the middle of the shop working on projects, and the owner sat down with me and really showed me how to knit. It was such a cool experience, I can''t even describe how much fun it was. The atmosphere was very calming, and having someone there to show me *how* I messed up, when I did make a mistake, was great because it really helped me figure out how to become better.

I highly recommend finding a local knitting shop that has a lot of people who sit around and knit together. It was so cool.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Haven! That's a great suggestions. I did find a local shop that has Friday and Saturday get togethers. Also, some of the ladies at DH's company have a knitting group. Assuming it's after work, I would love to hang out with them sometime (I'm already friends with a few). They would be able to teach me a lot. I wish SIL lived closer, because she would be a great resource! We're going to visit her in a few months, so maybe if I get started on me own she can help me out with any problems.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really want to learn to knit. It looks so relaxing! I think I will check out local shops (if we have any) for a class. Seems easier than a book for me. I am a visual learner.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Another question - what would be the best length and guage to start out with? I know the guages are listed on patterns, but is there kind of a middle ground one that is most commonly used for scarves, afghans, etc? Or should I just find a specific pattern and get whatever it says? And for length - which is more versatile?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 9:16:40 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I really want to learn to knit. It looks so relaxing! I think I will check out local shops (if we have any) for a class. Seems easier than a book for me. I am a visual learner.
I found some pretty good videos at this site:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

I think I''m going to try from online videos first and if I need help I''ll look for a class. The videos seem to give enough information to at least get started with something simple.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i took classes locally to learn. very, very helpful!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to take a class, but the ones around here are $50-140 and we''re trying to save money since I''m not working
7.gif
I''ll check out Michaels - hopefully they''re far cheaper than the local yarn stores.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I crochet and my Mum knits. I like crochet because it''s much more forgiving. You can skip stitches and it doesn''t really matter. I love knitting though and youtube is a great resource for learning stitches. Mum just made the baby a bunny and it''s gorgeous! It was difficult though and she used youtube a bit to learn some new stitches. I''d recommend that as a way to learn without spending a ton of money!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock

I was just about to mention youtube as well. I''ll sometimes run into a stitch I don''t know how to do, and that''s my go-to place to try to figure it out.

With the caveat that I don''t remember learning how to knit - I was young - I think that a basic hat may be doable for a beginner and may be more interesting than knitting squares. I''m thinking along the lines of the hat on the left below. It was my present to DH this Christmas; he just wanted a no-frills basic hat. (It''s rolled down a bit because George kept pulling it down over his eyes.) You need to know how to knit in the round or how to join seams, as well as how to do decreases. But you can also try to figure it out as you go. One of the great things about knitting is that if you mess things up, you can just rip it out and try again. It''s not like the yarn goes bad after you use it once or something.

2.gif

A lot of patterns use size 6 or so needes, but it really depends on the thickness of the yarn and what you''re doing.

xmashats.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
George gives me the giggles when I see pictures-he''s too cute! He looks quite dashing in his hat!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Heehee, thanks Packrat! I THOUGHT that a hat with a good chin strap would stand a chance of staying on his head for more than 10 seconds, but evidently I was mistaken.

Elrohwen - something else I forgot. You should be able to find a coupon for 40-50% off one item at most national craft stores at any given time, which is very helpful when you''re trying to save money. I was able to make the two hats, a pair of mittens, and a rattle for about $8.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I used to be an avid knitter, but about a year ago I hurt my wrist and haven't been able to knit since. I really miss it. One particular suggestion I have is to learn continental-style knitting if at all possible -- it's much better for your wrists than English style, where you "throw" the yarn, which can lead to repetitive stress injuries. English method is easier to learn and get satisfactory results from quickly, but the problem is that it's very difficult to switch once you learn it. If I'm able to resume knitting, I will definitely take a class or two to try to retrain myself in continental -- do yourself a favor and learn from the start!

For guage, I recommend starting with a worsted-weight yarn on size 8 needles. Middle ground is good because you'll learn better technique than you would with tiny or huge needles. Both are tricky in their own way, so save them for a bit later (even though the instant gratification from bulky yarns is nice...but it won't teach you how to best hold your tension to achieve consistency).

One more word of warning -- if you get into good yarns, rather than craft-store acrylics, knitting can be a bogglingly expensive hobby. I hated the feel of most synthetics so I spent a LOT of money when I was knitting. Hopefully you'll be okay with less expensive yarns for awhile, but if you find synthetics hard on your hands and prefer to try wool, a good place to get very nice yarns for a (fairly) reasonable price is knitpicks.com -- but don't say that I didn't warn you!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
memememememe! I l
30.gif
ve knitting.

I would recommend starting out with something simple that is square/rectangular that you start and end with the same number of stitches and don''t have to do any increasing/decreasing/casting off in the middle. also stick to cast on, cast off, knit and purl for your first projects.

you really need patience to be a knitter. the larger the needles and relevant yarn, the easier you will learn the stitches and the faster your project will be finished. then eventually you will start learning how to read a pattern (which is sometimes a mission in itself) and how to do other stitches. when you are ready to start more complicated stuff, I recommend knitting baby clothes because they are small and can usually be completed anywhere from within a weekend to a week. here are 2 baby items I knitted for colleagues:

noelwrknittingstuff.JPG

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Another knitter here! I picked up the stitch and bitch book the summer after I finished college when I was unemployed and I thought it was a great resource. Dishclothes are a great first project. I would say start with a pair of needles in the 6-8 range. And ditto Blen''s suggestion to look for coupons. I never go to Joann''s without one.

I love the website knitty.com for fun free modern patterns, and they are all rated by difficulty. Good luck, and come back and show us your projects!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Octavia, that''s exactly what I''m afraid of! I don''t want to end up with an expensive hobby, but I''m afraid I''ll get tired of the cheap stuff really fast.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Joann''s (and similar stores) have acrylic/wool blends that feel better than just the acrylic. Nice yarn can get EXPENSIVE, and as much as I''d like to use it, we just can''t afford it right now.

Good point about continental-style - I wish I''d learned that. English hurts my hands after a while.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to knit! My mom taught me when I was in high school. I don''t do anything that requires a pattern, I just make scarves and throws. I like to experiment with different yarns, but that''s about the only variable. For a basic throw I use circular needles, probably 10''s, and about 5-6 skeins of Lion brand Homespun yarn from Wal-Mart. At ~$4 per skein, it makes up a nice throw for aound $20-25, and it''s machine washable and dryable acrylic. Super soft, and fairly easy to work with.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
If anyone''s interested, Joann Fabrics is having a big yarn sale now through Jan 3rd. I guess I picked a good time to get into knitting! I''m running over there this afternoon to pick up some basics.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re really interested, maybe look for a video. I bought a book on knitting and couldn''t figure it out based on the directions and pictures.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 12:57:55 AM
Author: Octavia
I used to be an avid knitter, but about a year ago I hurt my wrist and haven''t been able to knit since. I really miss it. One particular suggestion I have is to learn continental-style knitting if at all possible -- it''s much better for your wrists than English style, where you ''throw'' the yarn, which can lead to repetitive stress injuries. English method is easier to learn and get satisfactory results from quickly, but the problem is that it''s very difficult to switch once you learn it. If I''m able to resume knitting, I will definitely take a class or two to try to retrain myself in continental -- do yourself a favor and learn from the start!

For guage, I recommend starting with a worsted-weight yarn on size 8 needles. Middle ground is good because you''ll learn better technique than you would with tiny or huge needles. Both are tricky in their own way, so save them for a bit later (even though the instant gratification from bulky yarns is nice...but it won''t teach you how to best hold your tension to achieve consistency).

One more word of warning -- if you get into good yarns, rather than craft-store acrylics, knitting can be a bogglingly expensive hobby. I hated the feel of most synthetics so I spent a LOT of money when I was knitting. Hopefully you''ll be okay with less expensive yarns for awhile, but if you find synthetics hard on your hands and prefer to try wool, a good place to get very nice yarns for a (fairly) reasonable price is knitpicks.com -- but don''t say that I didn''t warn you!
That''s how I learned to knit and other people keep telling me that I do it all wrong, but I can''t do it the other way and I agree that continental style is easier on the wrists.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an easy knit pattern for a dish cloth:

Lion Brand® Lion® Cotton
GAUGE:
20 stitches = 4 inches (10 cm) in pattern. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
NOTES:

One ball makes several dishcloths

DISHCLOTH
Cast on 46 sts.
Rows 1 and 2 Knit.
Rows 3 and 4 Knit 2, *knit 1, purl 1; repeat from * across to last 2 stitches, knit 2.
Repeat Rows 1-4 for pattern until piece measures 9 inches from beginning, ending with pattern Row 2. Bind off all stitches in knit.

FINISHING

Weave in ends. Press lightly if desired.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Here's the link to the Lion Brand learn to knit site.http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/ eta: also includes a video with the written instructions. Check it out!

It covers the following:

Before you start ...
1. Casting On
2. The Knit Stitch (Garter Stitch)
3. The Purl Stitch
4. Ribbing
5. Stockinette Stitch
6. Binding Off(casting off)
7. Making a Gauge Swatch
8. Joining New Yarn
9. Recovering a dropped stitch
10. Unraveling Stitch by Stitch
11. Avoiding Extra Stitches
12. Increasing
13. Increasing - Making a Simple Increase (knitting into the front and back of a stitch)
14. Increasing Between a Stitch ('Make One')
15. Increasing - The Yarn Over Increase
16. Decreasing
17. Decreasing - Slip, Slip, Knit (SSK/SSP)
18. Decreasing - Knit/Purl Two Together (K2tog / P2tog)
19. Slipping Stitches Purlwise and Knitwise
20. Making a cable
21. Knitting into the Back Loop/Front Loop
22. Purling into the Back Loop/Front Loop
23. Finishing / Sewing pieces together
24. Weaving in Ends
25. 3-needle bindoff
26. Picking up Stitches
27. Knitting with two strands together
28. Duplicate Stitch
29. Grafting (Kitchener Stitch)
30. Left-handed Knitting
31. Knitting with Ruffles Yarn
32. Knitting on Circular Needles
33. Knitting I-Cord
34. Folded Picot Edge

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I tried teaching myself once, and have about a foot of a blanket sititng around somewhere
20.gif
. I''m more of a cross-stitcher.

But, I might have a suggestion with what to do with what you make. The hospital Kyle was born at gives all the babies a hand-knit beanie when they''re born. I received a pretty blue one for Kyle, and my friend who delivered on 12/17 got a white one with Merry Christmas knitten into the pattern. You could check local hospitals and other charities to see what they might need.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results