shape
carat
color
clarity

Common Misconceptions about Emeralds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice and clean emerald, LD, which is very rare today. I also love the 2 side OMCs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 1:00:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Beautiful stone LD, I never tire of looking at it. Speaking of emeralds being brittle, and your emerald. Emeralds were probably not oiled or clarity enhanced back then. If they were oiled, chances are the oil in your emerald would have dried up long ago, and you obviously have a high clarity emerald, which is not brittle, because it doesn''t appear to have lots of fractures or jardin.

The problem is that clarity enhancement often makes the stones look so much cleaner than they are, which not only masks the inclusions, but the durability as well. A highly treated clarity enhanced emerald will be brittle, although it might look as clean as LD''s lovely stone.

Therefore, LD, consider yourself lucky to have a very green and clean emerald. Now that''s a rarity nowadays!!

ETA: Just curious, does this emearld fluor red?
I just had to go and look because I didn''t know! No, it doesn''t. Well, in all honesty there is a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit of fluor in a blackened room but as soon as you have any other light the tiny tint of red disappears and there''s no fluor. Curiously though and I have no idea why this may happen, the diamonds fluoresce pink!!! I''m sure this must be a reflection of the green of the Emerald but it''s very very strange!

I agree with you that I think this Emerald hasn''t ever been oiled. There''s so few inclusions/jardin so I wonder if it wasn''t thought necessary? As you know, this is my very very favourite ring so thank you for being so kind about it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 1:09:51 PM
Author: Chrono
Very nice and clean emerald, LD, which is very rare today. I also love the 2 side OMCs.
They''re so cool aren''t they Chrono? I hadn''t even realised that they were OMCs until looking at it closely about 6-8 months ago - can you believe that???? Doh! I had always focussed on the Emerald (being a good coloured stoner!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
Are you confusing fluoro with checking for chromium content via a Chelsea filter? I know if it has chromium, it will glow red under the filter.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 1:50:26 PM
TL,
Are you confusing fluoro with checking for chromium content via a Chelsea filter? I know it it has chromium, it will glow red under the filter.
Definitely red with a Chelsea filter (she says without even checking)!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
I believe the fluor is due to chromium content. Some emeralds have vanadium as a coloring agent, and I could be wrong, but I believe chromium is the reason so many emeralds are so included. It hampers growth of the beryl gem crystal. Someone, please correct me if I''m mistaken.

I asked because I thought that perhaps a vanadium colored emerald would be cleaner, as yours is, but it appears your stone is probably colored by chromium. My Muzo emeralds also have slight red fluor as you describe, and they are typically colored by chromium from that region.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 1:50:26 PM
TL,
Are you confusing fluoro with checking for chromium content via a Chelsea filter? I know it it has chromium, it will glow red under the filter.
No, because my Muzo also has slight red fluor, but you are correct, chromium rich emeradls will glow red under the chelsea filter. I knew that LD had a UV light, but I wasn''t sure if she had a chelsea filter.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang on ..... I'm going to get out the Chelsea Filter. I thought all Emeralds were red with that?????

Will be back in a mo with a report.

Edit: Took me ages to find it! Ok. Yes under the Chelsea Filter the colour I see is a rose/peach/red colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 1:58:19 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Hang on ..... I''m going to get out the Chelsea Filter. I thought all Emeralds were red with that?????

Not necessarily. There are emeralds that have vanadium as their colouring agent and those do not glow under the filter, IIRC.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 2:03:14 PM

Hang on ..... I''m going to get out the Chelsea Filter. I thought all Emeralds were red with that?????

Not necessarily. There are emeralds that have vanadium as their colouring agent and those do not glow under the filter, IIRC.
Well you learn something new every day! Thank you Chrono and TL.

So, categorically then this Emerald must have chromium but not vanadium? I know the appraiser said she thought this was from Colombia but you may remember I have a vague memory that my Mother thought this was Siberian. Do either of you know what the make up is (typically) for Siberians?

Interestingly, the red fluor is barely noticeable and I couldn''t photograph it at all. I wouldn''t say it''s red either under the Chelsea filter - much more peach/rose pink/red. I wonder if that indicates that it''s weak in chromium?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edit: Took me ages to find it! Ok. Yes under the Chelsea Filter the colour I see is a rose/peach/red colour.
Not all emeralds will go red with a chelsea filter, but those colored by chromium will. Those colored by vanadiium will not. My tsavorite, the new one, I suspect isn''t colored by chromium because it does not have UV fluor, so I believe it is colored by vanadium. I forgot to check it with my chelsea, but will do that. I confirmed on a gemological site I frequent that my light minty green grossular garnet (mined where tsavorites are) glows pink/orange because it does contain chromium.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 2:08:42 PM

So, categorically then this Emerald must have chromium but not vanadium? I know the appraiser said she thought this was from Colombia but you may remember I have a vague memory that my Mother thought this was Siberian. Do either of you know what the make up is (typically) for Siberians?

Interestingly, the red fluor is barely noticeable and I couldn''t photograph it at all. I wouldn''t say it''s red either under the Chelsea filter - much more peach/rose pink/red. I wonder if that indicates that it''s weak in chromium?
Well, it could have both vanadium and chromium, logically speaking (I''m not sure how common that is in emeralds though), but I think we ruled in the fact it does definitively contain chromium. As for it being weak in chromium, I would trust the chelsea filter for that particular observation.

For example, synthetic emeralds will glow a fierce red under the chelsea, indicating strong chromium content, and if you''ve seen how strongly saturated synthetics are, that explains why. However, natural emeralds, in particular lgihter toned ones, do not glow a strong a red under the chelsea. To me, this indicates the weakness/strength of the chromium content. Again, someone correct me if I''m wrong. These are my own observations.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 2:16:42 PM

Well, it could have both vanadium and chromium, logically speaking (I''m not sure how common that is in emeralds though), but I think we ruled in the fact it does definitively contain chromium. As for it being weak in chromium, I would trust the chelsea filter for that particular observation.

For example, synthetic emeralds will glow a fierce red under the chelsea, indicating strong chromium content, and if you''ve seen how strongly saturated synthetics are, that explains why. However, natural emeralds, in particular lgihter toned ones, do not glow a strong a red under the chelsea. To me, this indicates the weakness/strength of the chromium content. Again, someone correct me if I''m wrong. These are my own observations.
That bears out what I''m seeing and matches your observations!

BTW please feel free to come back and slap me about this one but it is my understanding that all Tsavs have a mixture of Vanadium and Chromium (in differing amounts) so don''t be surprised if you get an unexpected reaction when testing your new Tsav. I recall there was a thread on this somewhere and somebody told me categorically that Tsavs were one or the other but then checked and agreed it was typically both. I may be remembering that incorrectly as it''s sometime since I brushed up on my knowledge and at the best of times I have a brain like a sieve!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 2:24:09 PM

Date: 12/11/2009 2:16:42 PM

Hang on ..... I'm going to get out the Chelsea Filter. I thought all Emeralds were red with that?????

Interestingly, the red fluor is barely noticeable and I couldn't photograph it at all. I wouldn't say it's red either under the Chelsea filter - much more peach/rose pink/red. I wonder if that indicates that it's weak in chromium?
Well, it could have both vanadium and chromium, logically speaking (I'm not sure how common that is in emeralds though), but I think we ruled in the fact it does definitively contain chromium. As for it being weak in chromium, I would trust the chelsea filter for that particular observation.

For example, synthetic emeralds will glow a fierce red under the chelsea, indicating strong chromium content, and if you've seen how strongly saturated synthetics are, that explains why. However, natural emeralds, in particular lgihter toned ones, do not glow a strong a red under the chelsea. To me, this indicates the weakness/strength of the chromium content. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong. These are my own observations.
That bears out what I'm seeing and matches your observations!

BTW please feel free to come back and slap me about this one but it is my understanding that all Tsavs have a mixture of Vanadium and Chromium (in differing amounts) so don't be surprised if you get an unexpected reaction when testing your new Tsav. I recall there was a thread on this somewhere and somebody told me categorically that Tsavs were one or the other but then checked and agreed it was typically both. I may be remembering that incorrectly as it's sometime since I brushed up on my knowledge and at the best of times I have a brain like a sieve!!!
I distinctly heard someone say that their tsavorites (medium dark) in tone didn't fluoresce either, but don't quote me on that. I will check it with the chelsea when I get home.

Chrono,
Does your tsavorite fluor?

ETA: I found the page where I heard someone say their tsavorites do not fluoresce, but I am unable to reference the page.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Fascinating! My tsav glows dimly red under a black light--I just tested it. I never noticed before.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/10/2009 1:52:07 PM
Author: Burberrygirl
Gailey, thank you! You should add a sugar loaf to your Pandora''s Box (which is amazing!!).

Joshua, thank you for the compliment and for your insightful threads! I really enjoyed looking at your website as well. It''s very informative.

Glitterata, thank you so much! I love your collection, especially all your antique earrings and your JKT diamond ring!
30.gif
Thanks a ton!

--Joshua

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tsavorite is red under a chelsea filter. Hmmmmm? Maybe it only glows red under SWUV?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Tsav pendant doesn''t have fluor and it''s made up of about 30ish square cuts.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

Interesting series of posts. I think there may be a little confusion concerning durability. There is hardness, which as noted is a measure of scratchability. Emerald is 7.5 on the Moh''s scale, meaning that harder gems such as topaz 8, sapphire 9 and diamond 10 will scratch it. Steel is mostly 6.5-7.0, so emerald is pretty hard. That said, toughness is entirely different and emerald is not so tough, it is brittle and the normal profusion of surface breaking inclusions don''t help.

The closer to the mine the more fakes? Oh yes, saw my first synthetic sapphire outside a sapphire mine, my first synthetic ruby on the Burma border, the apex of the Golden Triangle, where all the best smugglers meet, at Mae Sot. Richard Hughes claims that its a law. see Hughes, R., Ruby and Sapphire.

Better color? Well, different color. The late great Campbell Bridges was a good friend. He consistently claimed that tsavorite was the more beautiful gem. He discovered it, so should be forgiven. Certainly it is potentially more brilliant and scintillating and has double the dispersion of emerald, it is, in fact, colored green by the same rare combination of Chromium and Vanadium. However, it lacks the rich satiny quality of fine emerald and, I would argue, the lovely "crystal." I spent an hour with Bogata''s premier gem cutter and watched him cut a window into an exceptional 2 carat gem (Google: GemWise, Colombian Emerald). He loves the crystal!

Best,

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2009 2:30:30 PM
Author: Richard W. Wise
All,

Interesting series of posts. I think there may be a little confusion concerning durability. There is hardness, which as noted is a measure of scratchability. Emerald is 7.5 on the Moh''s scale, meaning that harder gems such as topaz 8, sapphire 9 and diamond 10 will scratch it. Steel is mostly 6.5-7.0, so emerald is pretty hard. That said, toughness is entirely different and emerald is not so tough, it is brittle and the normal profusion of surface breaking inclusions don''t help.

The closer to the mine the more fakes? Oh yes, saw my first synthetic sapphire outside a sapphire mine, my first synthetic ruby on the Burma border, the apex of the Golden Triangle, where all the best smugglers meet, at Mae Sot. Richard Hughes claims that its a law. see Hughes, R., Ruby and Sapphire.

Better color? Well, different color. The late great Campbell Bridges was a good friend. He consistently claimed that tsavorite was the more beautiful gem. He discovered it, so should be forgiven. Certainly it is potentially more brilliant and scintillating and has double the dispersion of emerald, it is, in fact, colored green by the same rare combination of Chromium and Vanadium. However, it lacks the rich satiny quality of fine emerald and, I would argue, the lovely ''crystal.'' I spent an hour with Bogata''s premier gem cutter and watched him cut a window into an exceptional 2 carat gem (Google: GemWise, Colombian Emerald). He loves the crystal!

Best,
Thank you for you wisdom, sir!

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results