shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo e-ring wearers- anyone mistake your ring for a cluster ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone with a haloed e-ring ever had it mistaken for a cluster e-ring?

ETA: Mine was yesterday- the reason for starting my insulted/slighted thread!

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. But then again, my halo is made of pink diamonds so it''s easier to see the difference
31.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a friend with a gorgeous oval halo and I heard a friend of her fiance''s say "Oh, it looks like one of those pincushion rings." I asked her what she meant,and she meant a cluster ring, so I promptly corrected her.
9.gif

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, although I have had people "cope a feel" on the stone. I think that is their way of asking.

Is a cluster ring one that has no center stone? It''s just a bunch of tiny stones set to look like a larger stone? Just want to make sure I am clear on this.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, no one''s ever mistaken mine for one. And I don''t think your new ring looks like one at all!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 10:55:24 PM
Author: fsu1227
Nope, although I have had people ''cope a feel'' on the stone. I think that is their way of asking.

Is a cluster ring one that has no center stone? It''s just a bunch of tiny stones set to look like a larger stone? Just want to make sure I am clear on this.
Yes. My friend thought my ring was several small diamonds grouped together. I took it off and handed right to her so she could see that that wasn''t the case
2.gif
I did a quick search here on PS for cluster and halo and a few other people have mentioned that their halo rings were called clusters by someone
28.gif
Oh well!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 8:54:27 PM
Author: chiapet
Nope. But then again, my halo is made of pink diamonds so it''s easier to see the difference
31.gif
Damn, so I just need some pink diamonds? Oh how I wish!
30.gif

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 11:57:57 PM
Author: february2003bride

Nope, although I have had people ''cope a feel'' on the stone. I think that is their way of asking.

Yes. My friend thought my ring was several small diamonds grouped together. I took it off and handed right to her so she could see that that wasn''t the case
2.gif
I did a quick search here on PS for cluster and halo and a few other people have mentioned that their halo rings were called clusters by someone
28.gif
Oh well!

That would hurt my feelings too! I believe that type of ring is quite a bit less expensive..Ouch!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to my knowledge. But my center is a step cut and my halo is brilliant cut, so there''s some differentiation. I didn''t go with a step cut halo for that exact reason though... it looked like a cluster ring.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/5/2009 12:02:55 AM

Date: 12/4/2009 11:57:57 PM
Author: february2003bride

2.gif
28.gif
Oh well!

That would hurt my feelings too! I believe that type of ring is quite a bit less expensive..Ouch!
Well, most people are not familiar with jewelry terminology and will use an incorrect term unwittlingly.

Also, there isn''t a single source for jewelry terminology and different people often call the same style by different names or use the same name for different things. For example, PSers would call this ring a halo, while Bentley & Skinner (Jeweller''s by Appointment to HRM and HRH) calls it a cluster.

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been thinking about that a lot lately as I gave up my halo ring for a Vatche Royal Crown. Some days I miss the halo, but overall I''m glad that I don''t have it anymore. I think that they are beyond stunning with colored stones but mine did get mistaken for a cluster ring quite often
38.gif
My coworker has a custom diamond cluster ring that looks almost exactly like this (it really is a stunner as all the diamonds are top notch) but it would bug me when people thought that we had the same ring just one in yellow and one in white
14.gif

diamond-cluster-ring111joeirneoanbroieht.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I''d probably just assume the person didn''t know what the correct term was, just like people (including myself) sometimes call pierced or carved jewelry "filigree" when it isn''t.

I honestly don''t think most people know enough about jewelry terminology and prices to realize that it could be perceived as an insult... but at the same time I wouldn''t be surprised if someone did make that slip "accidentally," since there''s nothing like diamonds to bring out the crazy.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/5/2009 7:10:15 PM
Author: Liane
I''d probably just assume the person didn''t know what the correct term was, just like people (including myself) sometimes call pierced or carved jewelry ''filigree'' when it isn''t.
This drives me crazy, actually! True filigree is very specialized, time consuming, skilled work.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 6:46:03 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Date: 12/5/2009 7:10:15 PM

Author: Liane

I''d probably just assume the person didn''t know what the correct term was, just like people (including myself) sometimes call pierced or carved jewelry ''filigree'' when it isn''t.

This drives me crazy, actually! True filigree is very specialized, time consuming, skilled work.

Well, so''s hand piercing or carving. But I get what you''re saying, and in any case it''s a far cry from the stamped mass-produced stuff often sold as "filigree" on eBay.
2.gif

After being gently corrected on my laziness once at PS, I''m more careful about my wording now. Even so, I''m not surprised to hear the term misused IRL, and sometimes when dealing with sales associates at B&M shops it''s easier to just say "filigree" as shorthand for "vaguely antique-like lacy designs" because so many people, even people working in jewelry shops, genuinely do not know the difference.

So, for the same reason, it does not surprise me that people might innocently use the wrong term to describe a halo ring. Average people just don''t know jewelry jargon. When I first got my e-ring, half the people I showed it to didn''t know what a "bezel" was.
6.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
A friend of my got engaged this year with a 3 stone halo. Before she got the ring I asked her to describe it and she said it was a 3 stone cluster
40.gif
. When I saw it I said it was beautiful and I loved the halo''s she looked at me and told me off; saying it was a cluster....

It was beautiful though.

And .....a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results