shape
carat
color
clarity

The Talk (yet another thread)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I''m jumping the gun a bit, b/c I''m still shopping for the ring, but I figure while I''m waiting for my research to pay off...

My GF''s parents live far away. About an 8 hour drive.

She has said in passing that her parents wouldn''t care if I asked them their blessings before I proposed. In fact, she wouldn''t even expect me to.

My problems are that:

1.) I''m a bit of a traditionalist on an occasion like this;
2.) Her parents are far away;
3.) I''m kinda scared of her dad-he''s the silent type... but at least he''s like that to everybody

In this case, with no possible option of being able to get together with her parents alone, would it be ok to phone them?

What about her giving me the "out" of not having to ask in the first place?

We are planning on going to visit eventually... but I thought it would be great if I had already proposed by then so she can show off the ring and we can celebrate. I want the proposal to be personal w/o the family around.

Questions, comments?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
If your girlfriend said that she doesn't expect you to do it, that probably means she doesn't want you to do it. I wouldn't want my boyfriend to do it either - they would be confused, and I would rather have the pleasure of telling them myself, after the fact.

Take a hint from your gf - don't do it!

Fuzzdawg

Rough_Rock
dawg, i would say in your case that you should propose a little before they come, then you both can tell/ ask them together, at the same time.

"i love your daughter very much and have asked her to be my wife. she has agreed, but i refuse to consider it official for my own sake, until i receive your (blessing/ permission/ whatever)."

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh Fuzz, you phrased that perfectly.
appl.gif

I would agree...do it that way!

Good luck!
-Sarah
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My aging brain is failing me; but, if you do a search on the subject, a poster from the fall explored all options. He ended up calling on the phone & everything worked out great.

I am a traditionalist; and, asking for the father's blessing is a very nice touch. It's not necessarily for your girlfriend; but, a courtesy to her father.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results