shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

piratefan

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS''ers! So I have been a lurker for several months now looking (dare i say drooling*) at all the lovely photos and absorbing the vast amounts of diamond info posted. In some ways all of this looking has allowed me to narrow down my ideal setting choice and in other ways I am more confused than ever
33.gif
There are things I KNOW I want which include the shape of the diamond: ~ 1ct. Asscher, prongs: double claw, and micropave. I
30.gif
leon mege designs. The thing I am torn between is the micropave setting style. I am not entirely sure of budget, honestly, I think the BF is scared to give me a number bc this forum has turned me into a bit of a ring-zilla (oops) but original budget was around 5000 for whole ring. This is stretchable as BF wants to get ring of my dreams but for his sanity''s sake (and thus mine) I am going to try stay close to orig budget and def within 7000. I know that I should spend majority on center stone, I just have my heart set on an LM setting so I am trying to figure out a way to make this work. My setting dilemma is I am torn between the classic micropave style ie. the Cartier 1920''s style and a more bling-ly triple pave style ie. Dianabanana''s yummy sapphire ring (sans the halo). I like each for different reasons. I really love love the triple pave esp with the single cut diamonds
30.gif
buuuut
My questions are
1. Which do you prefer? I love the multiple rows of micropave but would not be unhappy with the single row...
2. Do you think the triple pave will overwhelm a ~ 1ct asscher?
3. If not, do think this setting is feasible with my budget?
4. Should I push this dream setting for above reasons to the side for a future project ie. ugrade, RHR, and/or more appropriate stone shape (not a step cut)?

Sorry this is so wordy...but I''m thinking PS''ers would appreciate and listen to my woes
28.gif

Link to Dianabananas LM sapphire thread where I fell in love with this style setting:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/theres-been-a-lot-of-blue-sapphire-threads-on-the-board-lately-is-there-room-for-one-more.128147/

Not sure how to put in a pic of the other micropave style will look it up and repost...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Honestly? For a 1 carat I think a ring like DianaBanana''s will overwhelm the center stone. I think super-blingy rings work better as RHRs or special occasion rings rather than daily rings. Go for less micro-pave--it will be classic and won''t look out of place no matter what you wear. Then you can splurge later on something with even more of a wow factor.
9.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. single row of pave - mutiple would overwhelm a 1 carat
2. see 1
3. not at $5k with leon...I think his simple pave start at $3k+
4.If you want to stay in your buget then you will need to postpone.

Why dont you ask leon for a quote? It couldnt hurt.

piratefan

Shiny_Rock
I am gonna ask him for a quote soon just didn''t want to ask for multiple styles at once..didnt want to seem too unsure. Yea thats what I was thinking...and I just wanted to clarify I do NOT want the halo just the shank style. But am thinking that I should save those plans for a stunning RHR, I always wanted a ruby ring...I suppose it is best to play up the stregths of a particular stone not overwhelm it (no matter how much I want it now
2.gif
)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE asschers, but I think a lot of their beauty would be lost with micropave around it (even if it''s just on the shank, as you mentioned). You might want to reconsider having micropave with this one. As you said, you can always get a ruby ring with micropave and wear it as a RHR.

piratefan

Shiny_Rock
The more I look at it closely the more I am seeing what you re saying but *sigh*
30.gif

LMpaveshankpic.JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2009 6:27:56 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
I LOVE asschers, but I think a lot of their beauty would be lost with micropave around it (even if it''s just on the shank, as you mentioned). You might want to reconsider having micropave with this one. As you said, you can always get a ruby ring with micropave and wear it as a RHR.
+1.

I think an overload of blingy micropave would distract from an asscher centre. Asschers are understated and simple, their beauty is in those clean lines, and I think with the asscher size you''re looking at a micropave''d shank would be a busy, competing style.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 6:48:17 PM
Author: yssie

+1.

I think an overload of blingy micropave would distract from an asscher centre. Asschers are understated and simple, their beauty is in those clean lines, and I think with the asscher size you''re looking at a micropave''d shank would be a busy, competing style.
+2

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 2:10:18 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 11/21/2009 6:48:17 PM
Author: yssie

+1.

+2
+3

piratefan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input! I completely agree and feel much better about it now and can move forward! I just needed some expert advice
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results