shape
carat
color
clarity

First Post - Thoughts On This Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
I''ve officially de-lurked. Great site here. Looking to invest approximately $20K to upgrade my wife''s diamond (10th anniversary). I found this at a local B&M and it comes up as a .6 on the HCA. The data is from the GIA report. The price is similar to what Ive seen from PS vendors (just over $18K). What do you folks think.....worth a look?

1.70 ct round
F color
VS2 clarity
Polish excellent
Symmetry very good
Flourescence none
7.63x7.67x4.70

Depth 61.40
Table 56.0
Girdle Med-stk
Table 35.0
Pavilion 40.4

Thanks in advance for your help!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no help but WELCOME!!!!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 4:13:43 PM
Author:DavidT
I've officially de-lurked. Great site here. Looking to invest approximately $20K to upgrade my wife's diamond (10th anniversary). I found this at a local B&M and it comes up as a .6 on the HCA. The data is from the GIA report. The price is similar to what Ive seen from PS vendors (just over $18K). What do you folks think.....worth a look?

1.70 ct round
F color
VS2 clarity
Polish excellent
Symmetry very good
Flourescence none
7.63x7.67x4.70

Depth 61.40
Table 56.0
Girdle Med-stk
Table 35.0
Pavilion 40.4

Thanks in advance for your help!
Welcome!

The diamond might be ok but could show obstruction due to the shallow pavilion angle. This is where a diamond can visibly darken at close inspection due to the viewer's head blocking the light. It isn't necessarily a huge deal but something that needs to be checked. I would look for a stone with a pavilion of around 40.6 - 41 degrees.

You have an excellent budget, do you prefer to buy from a store or are you open to buying online? Congrats on your anniversary by the way!

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! Was looking on-line, but this came up on a local jewelers website and the price looked about in line with what I''d seen from PS vendors. Compared the to the cheat-sheet specs and it seemed OK.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 4:24:04 PM
Author: DavidT
Thanks all! Was looking on-line, but this came up on a local jewelers website and the price looked about in line with what I''d seen from PS vendors. Compared the to the cheat-sheet specs and it seemed OK.
Just the pavilion angle is on the shallow side, apart from that everything else looks good, so do check carefully for obstruction if you like this one. Bend over the diamond and watch it to see if it darkens, if it doesn''t then you are fine, if it does then it depends on how much it bothers you. Compare as many different diamonds as you can, try Jareds for their AGS0 Peerless brand to get a good idea of how diamonds of known cut quality compare.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on how well the facets work with each other, it might be fine, but there is no way to tell from just numbers so you will have to check it out yourself if it will bother you.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link to the video stone-cold. So I can simply stand over the stone putting it in my shadow to see if it darkens up like in the video?

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Whoops, posted before I saw your response. Thanks, Lorelei.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 4:42:04 PM
Whoops, posted before I saw your response. Thanks, Lorelei.
Most welcome Dave, just ask if you need any more help!
35.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, IS/ASET looks good. Better in the sense it is safe, no obstruction issue, then yes.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. Think I can do better at this size and budget? This one came up using the "cut quality search" on this website. I realize this may not be a fair question to ask.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, probably.
let me take a look.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 6:13:29 PM
Thanks guys. Think I can do better at this size and budget? This one came up using the 'cut quality search' on this website. I realize this may not be a fair question to ask.
Its top cut quality, very desirable size, colour and clarity. You might be able to find something comparable if you look, depends on what you are looking for and various vendor benefits available with the purchase etc.

What are your objectives, more size? Do you want to keep the same colour and clarity or are you willing to lower these? WF offer a generous upgrade policy along with some of the other vendors, some however vary in as much as you might have to spend considerably more to upgrade, is this a consideration?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This looks promising.

About 17k with PS discount and wire-transfer.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1239679.asp

Not sure if you can squeeze you budget for this. 20.6k with PS discount and wire-transfer. This has Very Strong Fluor, not sure what is your preference on that. If you are fine with it, ask JA if the fluor has a negative impact on the light return as in it makes the stone looks oily/hazy in sunlight.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1096521.asp

Request for an Idealscope image from JA if you are interested.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Thanks Stone and Lorelei. Good questions. I am looking more for quality than size. I have no illusions about looking for flawless...that is not practical. My wifes current stone is a .96 ct round SI1 H color. I guess I''m trying to strike a balance. I know I could go to 2 ct but with a potentially inferior cut. From what I''ve read here, cut comes first and I agree. I am not married to an F stone, G would probably work too, but want to keep out of SI territory. Hope this kinda helps. I really appreciate your feedback.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the links, stone. That 2ct shows strong flourescence. I probably need to research this more, but isn''t that something to avoid?

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Sorry stone. Need to go back to "Reading is Fundamental" class. You already addressed this.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personal preference, I like to have it, fun think to have. I glows blue in UV light, like checks, dollar bills security mark. A very small percentage will be what is called over-blue, which negatively impact like return, making the stone look hazy/oily in sunlight, ask JA if that is the case for this stone if you are interested in it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 6:32:45 PM
Thanks Stone and Lorelei. Good questions. I am looking more for quality than size. I have no illusions about looking for flawless...that is not practical. My wifes current stone is a .96 ct round SI1 H color. I guess I''m trying to strike a balance. I know I could go to 2 ct but with a potentially inferior cut. From what I''ve read here, cut comes first and I agree. I am not married to an F stone, G would probably work too, but want to keep out of SI territory. Hope this kinda helps. I really appreciate your feedback.
Here is one which could work, $20700 with bank wire

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6123/

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Lorelei - you like this one better than the Whiteflash one I posted up earlier?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 7:10:39 PM
Lorelei - you like this one better than the Whiteflash one I posted up earlier?
Both are superb David, its down to personal preference and price really.

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help Stone and Lorelei. Stone, I requested an IS from JA on the 1.79 ct stone. I''ll post it up when I get it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, good luck. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most welcome!

DavidT

Rough_Rock
Hi again Lorelei. Question on the GOG stone you posted here. When you pull this up, you see a bunch of images on the bottom, including the Acet image (which to me looks real good based on what I''ve read), but when you click on the AGS report for the stone, the report also has and Acet image of the stone which to me looks decidedly worse. What do you think? Is this common?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 3:06:26 PM
Hi again Lorelei. Question on the GOG stone you posted here. When you pull this up, you see a bunch of images on the bottom, including the Acet image (which to me looks real good based on what I've read), but when you click on the AGS report for the stone, the report also has and Acet image of the stone which to me looks decidedly worse. What do you think? Is this common?
Hi Dave!

Nothing to worry about, the ASET in question is computer generated on the Sarin report, you also see these ASET images as a feature of the new AGS Platinum reports ( the diamond in question has what is now the old style AGS report which isn't a problem), I normally prefer to go by actual ASET images rather than these.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results