shape
carat
color
clarity

How early is too early to decorate for Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
So, I usually start decorating for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. This year we are hosting about 40 people at our house for Thanksgiving and then some immediate family will be staying with us for about a week afterward. I am thinking after getting everything together for the meal plus entertaining our guests that stay, I won't feel like decorating and was thinking about getting everything out the week before. It is only a week earlier than usual, but somehow it feels weird to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving. On the other hand, if I wait until after Thanksgiving, I will be something like 32 weeks pregnant so I might not even have the energy to do it then. Would you think it was weird to go to a Thanksgiving meal at a house decorated for Christmas? I LOVE Christmas decorations, so I would love it, but is it weird to do it that early? Thanks!

ETA: I'm not going to do any outside decorations until after Thanksgiving, just the inside.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Hey Steph,

If my mom is hosting a big dinner for Thanksgiving (as in guests besides myself and my brothers) she will decorate for Christmas before they get there inside and out. I love it. I think it just gives that holiday feeling while you are having your meal.

Normally though she''ll decorate the day after.

What''s funny is that when my father was alive, he hated having the tree up really early. He would decorate the tree maybe a week before Christmas because then it was "new" and still exciting. I do the same thing now. I wait until the second week in December to put up my decorations.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you going to have your tree up or are you talking about other decorations? Either way it doesn''t matter but I''m just curious. We don''t typically decorate for the holidays but I wouldn''t think twice if someone did decorate their house right around Thanksgiving. I think doing so before then might be too early, but that''s just me. AS you said, you''ll be 32 weeks pregnant by then -- I really wouldn''t worry about it. I like your plan!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
if I was invited for Thanksgiving dinner to someone''s home and they had their Christmas decorations up I wouldn''t think it was weird. I think it would really give a great atmosphere.

and if the lady-of-the-house was pregnant I would compliment her on thinking so far ahead.

(so does that mean I''m invited?
3.gif
)

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Whew, okay thanks for the opinions guys. I think it will make a nice atmosphere too, but I didn''t want people to think I was weird for having things done so early.

Zoe, I was probably going to go ahead and put the tree up if I decorated...but it is artificial, so it won''t die
1.gif

Sure, Noelwr the more the merrier!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, no one will think it''s weird -- it will be festive! Happy decorating!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
our tradition was usually during thanksgiving. But this year it was on November 1st
3.gif
I know super early, but we had so much crap to put up that I wanted to enjoy it longer than just three weeks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a weirdo who thinks it would be a little early to have Xmas stuff out on Thanksgiving. But that is just because I like having separate holidays mentally...aka progression of the holidays, first Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas.

But since you are preggo Steph that is a good point re: feeling up to it. I am super excited for our Xmas this year because it''s our first in our new house. But who knows, it might take me 2 weeks to decorate!

I say do what YOU want to do, regardless of what others would think. You''re hosting after all!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I set up a week and a half early last year because I had guests fly out the week before... and I LOVE my holiday decs. (Plus they were flying out to "celebrate" the holidays....)

So set up when you set up... heck I''ve already busted out the Xmas movies... and I''m starting to get the fever... must be because dept stores are setting out their stuff already. I am usually a day after thanksgiving person... but I have the fever- and no excuse this year...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to begin as we have NO Thanksgiving decorations except our table display. Most likely I''ll begin on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. We still have some Halloween stuff to put away. There is a pile of stuff in the dinning room.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
According to the retail stores, they seem to think it''s right after Labor Day
20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to have mine up at the end of Nov...then leave them up until June.
20.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I think that it is ok to do it. If it were me I would. I wait to decorate on my birthday. Dec. 8th. I usually take the day off and spend it putting up the tree and the little town on a side table. I can''t imagine anyone saying anything about or even thinking it is odd. It would be a shame if you waited and then you werent feeling good or couldn''t get close enough to the tree to hang the high ones because your belly will be even bigger or someone else has to do it and you can''t get it done the way you want.

I know a few people that have family that is far away and they do Thanksgiving and Christmas together.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 1:35:52 PM
Author: purrfectpear
According to the retail stores, they seem to think it's right after Labor Day
20.gif
I am sooooo annoyed by this! Seriously. The store I get my decorations at had Halloween and Thanksgiving at the same time. The day AFTER Halloween was when I had planned to get a few festive fall items. Well, everything is GONE. All they have now is Christmas.

I could go to another store, but I'm too lazy to run to 20 of them to find the few perfect touches needed to make a fall decor.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanksgiving is in mid-October here, so usually the Christmas stuff is in stores right after Hallowe''en. Some folks have already started decorating. I think it''s too early, though... My parents usually put up their outdoor lights in November so they''re not stuck doing it when it''s too cold, but they won''t turn them on until December. Putting up the Christmas tree is a huge thing in my family and everyone needs to be there; with everyone scattered left and right it usually ends up pretty close to Christmas.

DH and I bought our own Christmas tree last weekend. It''s too early for my taste, but last year we waited too long and the tree we wanted was sold out. So our tree is already up, but we won''t turn the lights on until December. It makes me feel happy, though, to have the tree in my living room! It really looks like a real white spruce, except there''re no falling needles (
9.gif
) and no smell (
7.gif
). I love Christmas.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results