shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you want to get married?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I play for keeps.
2.gif

(When you''ve found the best guy in the world, you marry him. That''s just what you do!)

*Plus his last name is way better than mine and sounds cool with my first name*

Once he woke himself up laughing - how do you not marry someone like that? It cannot be done!

When I say Meow, he says Meow back - we speak the same second language.

I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!!!

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 5:00:18 PM
Author: HopeDream
I play for keeps.
2.gif

(When you''ve found the best guy in the world, you marry him. That''s just what you do!)

*Plus his last name is way better than mine and sounds cool with my first name*

Once he woke himself up laughing - how do you not marry someone like that? It cannot be done!

When I say Meow, he says Meow back - we speak the same second language.

I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!!!

Ha! I told BF when he first started talking about marriage, if he doesn''t marry me I''m just going to legally change my last name anyway since his is way better.

...I''m serious about that too.
11.gif

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Because I want to make a public statement that we love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together.

I guess it is also for the social recognition - as others have said "wife" is respected more than "girlfriend".

Hmmm.. doesn''t seem to romantic, but I was never instilled with the value that getting married is important, it is just something that I have individually grown to want.

Littletreasure

Rough_Rock
Trade
1. It is the social norm. You get treated differently when husband/wife insteadof boyfriend/girlfriend.

2. We want to adopt and being married will make that easier.

3. A reason to throw a fabulous party!

We aren''t getting married for any particularly romantic reasons. Boring lol. But it''s the truth.

katomm

Shiny_Rock
I just know he''s the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. He accepts me when I''m not on my best behavior, when I''m goof or just plain naive, and he was a good friend before we started dating. He may not be the best with words or being consistent but he makes sure every single day we touch in some way so I know he loves me.

Yesterday he told me he just wants to be married, nothing else. How cool is that?! LOL

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Cause my wedding will be freaking awesome!!!!

Haha and the bath towels like Freke said....

Ok but seriously, because I love him more than anything in the world and want to celebrate and solidify that. But enough with the sappiness....

Oooo and I really want new kitchen gadgets. haha
2.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 10:40:33 AM
Author: Callisto

Ok but seriously, because I love him more than anything in the world and want to celebrate and solidify that. But enough with the sappiness....

2.gif
Yeah, I guess beyond all the sappiness, I''m really doing it for the KitchenAid mixer that''s going on my registry.
36.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
hmmmm....to me the question of why you want to get married is a different one than why you want to spend your lives together. As a couple that will already own a home together and will be hit with the marriage penalty tax
14.gif
, I have often thought about why it matters to me to be legally married.

I have to agree with the ladies that talk about the social norm and perception of marriage as the ultimate commitment. Also, I want my children to have married parents.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 4:57:43 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 11/2/2009 2:17:26 PM
Author: TooPatient

I''m self employed and don''t have any insurance. He has great coverage through work.
Threadjack: Wait, hun, can''t you get insurance through the stock brokers you work for? They should be able to offer you something. You really should look into getting some, no matter what. I know I was totally terrified when M didn''t have insurance. SO much can happen. Health insurance is expensive, but really worth it when something happens.
(sorry for the threadjack -- thanks for noticing & caring though)

I wish.

They are independant stock brokers. They work for a big company but are considered independant contractors. They have an insurance plan that is offered through the big company, but it is only for registered brokers who contract with the company.
I''m just the little person. I contract for the contractors.

I''ve been lucky so far, but I don''t want to count on luck when it comes to my health.

My solution? I''m doing volunteer work for a bunch of professional people. Hopefully I''ll either get an offer, or at least get some good experience so I can apply (successfully) for something better than this.

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 11:16:52 AM
Author: vc10um

2.gif

Yeah, I guess beyond all the sappiness, I'm really doing it for the KitchenAid mixer that's going on my registry.
36.gif

That mixer is literally the first thing I am registering for lol! In response to the why of marriage,because we love eachother obviously and I want to shove it in everyone's faces! I'm just kidding but I'm not good a being all sappy
3.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 12:52:34 PM

I''m self employed and don''t have any insurance. He has great coverage through work.

Threadjack: Wait, hun, can''t you get insurance through the stock brokers you work for? They should be able to offer you something. You really should look into getting some, no matter what. I know I was totally terrified when M didn''t have insurance. SO much can happen. Health insurance is expensive, but really worth it when something happens.

I wish.

They are independant stock brokers. They work for a big company but are considered independant contractors. They have an insurance plan that is offered through the big company, but it is only for registered brokers who contract with the company.

I''ve been lucky so far, but I don''t want to count on luck when it comes to my health.

My solution? I''m doing volunteer work for a bunch of professional people. Hopefully I''ll either get an offer, or at least get some good experience so I can apply (successfully) for something better than this.

Wait sorry for the continued threadjack....but TooPatient, dont you two live together? He can have you on his insurance as a "domestic partner" (doesnt have to be wife) as long as you have been living together more than 6 months. My insurance is way better than my SO''s (always has been), so he is on my insurance as a domestic partner (also as a beneficiary etc etc). Just have B put you on his insurance.

If you dont live together, and still live at home, I believe your parent''s insurance has to coveryou up to 25 years old (you''re 24 right?) if you are a full time student.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2009 1:58:37 PM
Author: NakedFinger

Date: 11/3/2009 12:52:34 PM

I wish.

Wait sorry for the continued threadjack....but TooPatient, dont you two live together? He can have you on his insurance as a ''domestic partner'' (doesnt have to be wife) as long as you have been living together more than 6 months. My insurance is way better than my SO''s (always has been), so he is on my insurance as a domestic partner (also as a beneficiary etc etc). Just have B put you on his insurance.

If you dont live together, and still live at home, I believe your parent''s insurance has to coveryou up to 25 years old (you''re 24 right?) if you are a full time student.
I need to look at that again. He pulled up the insurance info last year and we both went through it. I was 99% sure that I was not covered. They do domestic partners, but they defined "domestic partner" as someone of the same sex. This might have gotten changed in the last year. It is a really big company with great benefits...

Open enrollment is starting in just a couple of weeks. Worth a 2nd (and 3rd) look. Thanks for the suggestion.

I lost the coverage through my parents in July 2005. Been without since then. (Eek.)

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 12:54:36 PM
Author: Amzizzle
Date: 11/3/2009 11:16:52 AM

Author: vc10um

2.gif

Yeah, I guess beyond all the sappiness, I''m really doing it for the KitchenAid mixer that''s going on my registry.
36.gif

That mixer is literally the first thing I am registering for lol! In response to the why of marriage,because we love eachother obviously and I want to shove it in everyone''s faces! I''m just kidding but I''m not good a being all sappy
3.gif

Hahaha I love it! Yeah that''s a good reason too. I want to show of my man candy and make all the girls I know jealous that I''m marrying such a great guy. (He was voted most secretly admired in high school - except at that point I was one of the creepy girls secretly admiring him haha. But now I can throw it in all the other girls who voted for him''s faces!!! haha this sounds cruel, I''m really just kidding for the record... I''m possibly one of the least jealous/possessive people ever.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
for some reason he''s deluded himself into thinking i''m sweet, wonderful, amazing, and beautiful. i figured i''d better marry him before he realises he''s horribly mistaken
3.gif

that and he does cook, gives good back massages and foot massages and cleans.
31.gif

i''m pretty sure he''s just marrying me to force me into getting all dressed up and having lots of pictures taken of me.

oh and there''s something about us loving each other and being best friends and about as close to a perfect match as you could get, but those back massages are pretty convincing...

Lozza

Shiny_Rock
I''m interpreting this question to mean ''why do you want to get married instead of stay together unmarried for the rest if your lives".

This is something we put quite a lot of thought into. We''re not religious, already have a mortgage together, and have seen so many friends get divorced that marriage to us doesn''t seem like a lifetime commitment.

However, a lot of people we know (in particular his parents) seem to think that if you don''t get married it''s because you''re not really right for each other - the ''when you know, you know'' attitude. We''ve spent years arguing this, but in the end we''re never going to convince them and I really want his family to accept me as their daughter in law, not as some girl their son is seeing.

I also LOVE weddings (i always cry during the ceremony, even if I hardly know the couple!), and think I would regret never having one of my own. I also like the idea of us getting up and telling everyone how much we mean to each other in front of our family and friends.

That said, we are thinking if our parents don''t want to help pay for it we might elope to Vegas (we can''t afford to pay for the whole shebang ourselves). Vegas marriages aren''t legally recognised in Australia, so we might end up not being married after all!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang. Why did I have to go and buy that KitchenAid years ago when I could have just put one on my registry?!

...then again, there is always room for an upgrade, no?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results