shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone else here had the H1N1 vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Had it because I''m a health care worker, and it didn''t hurt a bit - and I''m a total wuss! Tetanus shots hurt. Gardasil shots hurt. But the H1N1 shot was a walk in the park compared to those.

For seasonal flu I had the mist (also had no side effects from that); that''s why I got the shot instead of the mist for H1N1 (you have to wait 4 weeks between mists but can get shot + mist or both shots at any time).

No side effects from the vaccine for me. However, it takes 10 days to be fully protected. I was exposed to H1N1 5 days after I got the vaccine (a child who tested positive sneezed in my face while I was examining him in the ER), so unfortunately I still got the disease. However, I never had a fever, and my illness wasn''t nearly as bad as most, I think because I had already started to build up some antibodies from the vaccine.

Elrohwen, you''re right, the nurse who told you that was misinformed. There is no combined seasonal/H1N1 shot.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 8:35:40 PM
Author: elrohwen
I got the regular flu shot at my job and the nurse told me that it also contained the H1N1 vaccine. Now I know that''s probably not accurate, as they were developed separately, but I can''t really go back and ask because I don''t work there anymore. So, no, I guess I didn''t get it, though I was told I had.

I haven''t gotten it yet, though I admit I should try harder to find it. I have mild asthma and am sort of in the high risk group (thought not nearly as much as young children, older people, etc)
HI:

Seasonal flu and H1N1 are Influenza but are different strains and seperate different/vaccine injections. And pneumoncoccal is different and seperate yet again. Your copy of the documentation you received should stated exactly what you had.

cheers--Sharon

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 4:42:43 PM
Author: MC
Date: 11/2/2009 3:48:13 PM

Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/2/2009 3:42:51 PM

Author: vespergirl

Date: 11/2/2009 1:49:21 PM

Vesper, did you find any of the thimerisol free ones? I am trying to help my friend who is scared to get it (the regular ones). She has triplets and at 22 weeks is measuring like a 34 week preggo.

She just emailed me back and said she hasn''t been actively seeking them preservative free ones so I may have to find out for her.

No, we had the ones with preservatives - the preservative-free shots are not yet available anywhere. I called our doctors to ask about it, and both my OB and my son''s pediatrician were adamant that it was far more important to get the vaccines than to worry about trace amounts of thimerosal.

The preservative-free shots may not be available for several months.
Thanks Vesper. I am hearing that they are available but so hard to find. I just posted a link in FHH about thimersol free ones being given to preggers only in OC. Amelia''s ped said that they even lifted the ban here in CA on thimerosal free for babies/kids because there is such a shortage. I got the green light to vac Amelia with the regular H1N1 shot if I can find it.

And for some reason today, I am having a REALLY difficult time spelling thimerosal!!!
What about the nasal one? Does that have Thirmerosal? I''m allergic to eggs and was told that because of that I cannot get the injectable one. . .(I don''t plan to get the vaccination unless it becomes mandatory. For some reason, I can forsee it becoming a law or something that everyone gets it!)

My understanding (from GMA) is there is Thimerosal in all nasal versions of the vaccine. Only the shot is available in non-thimerosal versions.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I haven''t gotten it yet. I''m not high risk and the shots made available at my work went to the health care providers first. Once the second round comes in I should be able to get it.

I already had the flu earlier in the season but I wasn''t tested, so it may have just been a regular flu. I''m going to get the H1N1 vaccine just to be on the safe side, though.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
My work had free ones going yesterday so my work mates and i jumped in the line.

Small needle, didn''t hurt, and no pain at the site.

I even got a chocolate for being brave.
1.gif

Nope.. not sure if I will. I got the regular one though- they offered it to me at an OB appt in sept

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Does the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) contain thimerosal?

No, the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) does not contain thimerosal or any other preservative.
-Via the CDC''s website

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My husband is immunocompromised (no spleen) and so is on the high-risk list, but it''s not available yet here.

Daisy is having her TB vaccination in 3 weeks so I hope that they will have the H1N1 available for her then.

I''m a big fan of vaccinations having grown up in countries where people died of diseases that we are oh so blase about in the developed world.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 1:52:49 PM
Author: EBree
I was told by my doctor that there would be shots available at a high school 45 minutes away the morning of Halloween, so husband, baby and I made the trek. We got there right on time, and stood in a line HUNDREDS of people long for about ten minutes, in the rain, before bailing. It was ridiculous.

It looked like a free-for-all, which IMO, isn't fair. Those in the high-risk group should be first priority. As of now, I'm not sure what we'll do. We can't stand in line with a four-month-old for HOURS before one of these 'clinics' opens. I'm hoping our doctor's office will receive a shipment soon.
That's pretty much how it's going around here too. People are freaking out. And since I am neither pregnant, nor have a baby, nor have any underlying medical issues, DH and I are not going to get one. Someone else needs it more.
1.gif

I really think that they are handling these clinics very, very badly.

ETA: CDC info in H1N1 http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

ETAA... am I dense, or are people really overreacting to this in many cases? I mean, people almost seem to be treating this like they would if something like cancer had suddenly become airborn?
33.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 10:35:39 AM
Author: geckodani
ETAA... am I dense, or are people really overreacting to this in many cases? I mean, people almost seem to be treating this like they would if something like cancer had suddenly become airborn?
33.gif

Hahaha! Yes!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 10:47:04 AM
Author: mayachel
Date: 11/3/2009 10:35:39 AM

33.gif

Hahaha! Yes!

I think so too! We were accused last Wednesday at work of not caring if our patients died, by a grandfather who wanted his granddaughter to get the H1N1, when a)we didn''t have any left to give out b)she wasn''t our patient c)she wasn''t in a risk group. Friday we had several angry moms call and scream at us b/c Public Health had a clinic for kids up to age 5, and it was just a cattle call basically, and not enough room inside for everyone, so she''d been outside in the rain w/her child for an hour. Some people come to the office and demand it, and when we tell them to call us next week to see if we got any in, they throw their hands up in the air and yell "Well that''s just fricken great! I guess I''ll just get it and DIE then-I hope you''re happy!" The dramatics are a little excessive.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 11:14:01 AM
Author: packrat

I think so too! We were accused last Wednesday at work of not caring if our patients died, by a grandfather who wanted his granddaughter to get the H1N1, when a)we didn't have any left to give out b)she wasn't our patient c)she wasn't in a risk group. Friday we had several angry moms call and scream at us b/c Public Health had a clinic for kids up to age 5, and it was just a cattle call basically, and not enough room inside for everyone, so she'd been outside in the rain w/her child for an hour. Some people come to the office and demand it, and when we tell them to call us next week to see if we got any in, they throw their hands up in the air and yell 'Well that's just fricken great! I guess I'll just get it and DIE then-I hope you're happy!' The dramatics are a little excessive.
Oy! Why are people under the impression that it's instantly fatal? I mean, the same folks in the high risk group for H1N1 are the people that are in the high risk group for the seasonal flu as well. People die from that one too, but there isn't a huge panic about it every year. Is it just the media creating a panic?

ETA: I'm not downplaying the fact that many people are at risk of complications from H1N1, and totally support those target groups getting vaccinated, but I just feel like folks are panicking more than is necessary.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just got my H1N1 shot at Kaiser. it was not therm-free. the nurse said that Kaiser didnt get any therm-free shots period. and that they are only giving the shots to preggos right now (i think the mist is a wider group). she told me not to eat fish for a few days if i was concerned re: mercury.
20.gif
i was really on the fence about getting it... i still am not totally feeling fab about it, but i know i am higher risk category since preggo, and given that the baby will get the antibodies mattered to me...it would probably be more risky for him to be born into flu season with no antibodies to assist...and he also will get them through bf'ing.

anyway, hopefully he won't grow a tail in there.
3.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 1:26:20 PM
Author: Mara
i just got my H1N1 shot at Kaiser. it was not therm-free. the nurse said that Kaiser didnt get any therm-free shots period. and that they are only giving the shots to preggos right now (i think the mist is a wider group). she told me not to eat fish for a few days if i was concerned re: mercury.
20.gif
i was really on the fence about getting it... i still am not totally feeling fab about it, but i know i am higher risk category since preggo, and given that the baby will get the antibodies mattered to me...it would probably be more risky for him to be born into flu season with no antibodies to assist...and he also will get them through bf''ing.

anyway, hopefully he won''t grow a tail in there.
3.gif
LOL!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
For everyone who is getting the vaccine, it might be a good idea to make further enquiries if you know you have a latex sensitivity or allergy. People around home were having NASTY reactions for a while -- then a memo came out and ran around the hospital, explaining a big issue. Apparently the vaccine and membrane on the container were latex-free, however the syringes sent out with the vaccines contained latex. Something like 10% of people getting the vaccine were having adverse reactions - they changed the syringes used to a latex-free and things seem to be better now.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I''m high risk, since I have SLE lupus and my immune system is basically non-functioning, due to the medications I have to take. My regular flu shot was given two weeks ago and I received my H1N1 shot today. So far, so good. My arm is sore where the injection was given, but I know that will soon go away.

My rheumatologist has told me that people "in my condition" do not normally live as long as healthy people and that an infection could "take me out" at any time and that I should be prepared at all times.
32.gif

Lori

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 3:46:05 AM
Author: loriken214
I''m high risk, since I have SLE lupus and my immune system is basically non-functioning, due to the medications I have to take. My regular flu shot was given two weeks ago and I received my H1N1 shot today. So far, so good. My arm is sore where the injection was given, but I know that will soon go away.

My rheumatologist has told me that people ''in my condition'' do not normally live as long as healthy people and that an infection could ''take me out'' at any time and that I should be prepared at all times.
32.gif

Lori
I''m glad you got it then!
23.gif
You''re one of the people that legitimately needs the darned thing!

justginger - Allergic to latex over here. Oy. That could have sucked.
14.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 11:35:36 AM
I mean, the same folks in the high risk group for H1N1 are the people that are in the high risk group for the seasonal flu as well. People die from that one too, but there isn''t a huge panic about it every year. Is it just the media creating a panic?

Actually, the high risk groups are different, which I think is why parents, especially, are freaking out. Children and teenagers don''t generally die from flu, it''s usually the elderly. For H1N1, the elderly are relatively well off (possibly due to exposure to a similar strain pre-1957?) whereas mortality in kids is unusually high.

(Not that I disagree that panic isn''t necessary, mind you.)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 8:46:05 AM
Author: pjean

Date: 11/3/2009 11:35:36 AM
I mean, the same folks in the high risk group for H1N1 are the people that are in the high risk group for the seasonal flu as well. People die from that one too, but there isn''t a huge panic about it every year. Is it just the media creating a panic?

Actually, the high risk groups are different, which I think is why parents, especially, are freaking out. Children and teenagers don''t generally die from flu, it''s usually the elderly. For H1N1, the elderly are relatively well off (possibly due to exposure to a similar strain pre-1957?) whereas mortality in kids is unusually high.

(Not that I disagree that panic isn''t necessary, mind you.)
True.
1.gif
Forgot about the older generation that''s not getting hit as hard.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
i

3.gif
I would be too paranoid to get the shot. The paper had an article (this week) about how pregnant woman have a higher chance of giving birth to a baby with birth defects if given anti-biotics in the first three months. We''re always told those are safe for those who need them. But, now it''s found otherwise in cases of some pregnancies. We won''t find out if the same is true of the H1N1 for possibly for years to come!

I never ate fish known to contain mercury while pregnant with either of my kids.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
20.gif
i was really on the fence about getting it... i still am not totally feeling fab about it, but i know i am higher risk category since preggo, and given that the baby will get the antibodies mattered to me...it would probably be more risky for him to be born into flu season with no antibodies to assist...and he also will get them through bf''ing.

3.gif

I got the regular flu shot when I was preggo with my son a couple of years ago and it was not therm-free either. I asked about it b/c it was brought up on the preggo thread and my dr''s office didn''t even have a therm-free version and said they give all preggo''s the therm. one. My son turned out perfectly fine. I agree the risk is higher to not do the vaccine.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 3:49:07 PM
Author: mrssalvo

20.gif

3.gif

I got the regular flu shot when I was preggo with my son a couple of years ago and it was not therm-free either. I asked about it b/c it was brought up on the preggo thread and my dr''s office didn''t even have a therm-free version and said they give all preggo''s the therm. one. My son turned out perfectly fine. I agree the risk is higher to not do the vaccine.
Mara - he had a tail until about 10 weeks in there anyway, so you''re good.
3.gif
9.gif
12.gif
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/fetus/ss/growingfetus_5.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am undecided about the H1N1 vaccine, but I still am alarmed at the number of kids today with ADHD, autism, and other disorders that simply were less prevalent years ago. I am not saying that I think that shots are the cause because it most certainly hasn''t been proven. But just because a baby seems normal does not mean there won''t be problems down the road. We don''t know what is causing these issues in kids today, but it really is an epidemic. I work with these kids and I know. And I do think it is likely that it is something that we are doing that has increased the incidence of these disorders. I would question everything that goes into my child''s body.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 7:51:20 PM
Author: swimmer

Ebree, that just is awful. so sorry...and in the rain!

Thank you, swim! Unfortunately, rain is, for the most part, unavoidable where I live in the fall/winter months.

BUT, I got a piece of good news today- my OBGYN's office called and said they were offering the H1N1 vaccine to new moms. Hooray! Now, what to do about my husband.........

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol packrat...!! re-introduction of the tail!

the therm-h1n1 shot has 25mg of mercury. a can of tuna is ~50mg and they say preggos can have like one can a week or something like that. happy that so far i have only gotten a mild sore throat, but no fever and arm is not even as sore as when i got my regular flu shot earlier this fall.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amelia received her H1N1 shot today and will get regular seasonal flu tomorrow. The H1N1 did contain thimerosal. And I was able to get her that shot because my friend works in a doc''s office and persuaded the staff to save a shot for us. There are people screaming at them begging for these shots...it''s scary. I was not able to get one (and didn''t push for it) because I''m not in the highest risk group and not one of their regular patients. Normally I could get the shot being the mother of an under 2 year old, but I was happy to get the shot for Amelia.

So far, no issues, not even crankiness. Happy as Larry, this kid.

As far as ADHD, I think there are plenty of other things that *may* be contributing to it. What about the ridiculous number of hours of TV that kids under 2 watch? Some say by the time they hit school, regular classroom teaching is so boring because they are used to what is basically the pulsating lights of TV. I''ve heard another probable cause as being junk food that contains MSG. Things like cheetos, which some people have no problem giving their kids. Perhaps it was less prevalent years ago because we were OUTSIDE PLAYING and not eating the amount of crap that kids eat today. I am WAY more inclined to believe it is these things than vaccines. But then, it''s so much easier to blame the evil drugs companies instead of looking internally, isn''t it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and don''t get me started on SLEEP. Parents who drag their kids out and about town and babies who are going to bed at 10pm and getting only 8 hours of sleep max. Think not enough time to REST THE BRAIN might have something to do with all this?

I grew up in a generation where most kids I knew went to bed early. Now kids go to bed when they feel tired. One teacher I know sends a survey to her parents on the first day of class asking what time they put their kids to bed. She says it directly correlates with the kid''s behavior in class. Early sleepers, better students. What a shock.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 10:38:13 PM
Amelia received her H1N1 shot today and will get regular seasonal flu tomorrow. The H1N1 did contain thimerosal. And I was able to get her that shot because my friend works in a doc''s office and persuaded the staff to save a shot for us. There are people screaming at them begging for these shots...it''s scary. I was not able to get one (and didn''t push for it) because I''m not in the highest risk group and not one of their regular patients. Normally I could get the shot being the mother of an under 2 year old, but I was happy to get the shot for Amelia.

So far, no issues, not even crankiness. Happy as Larry, this kid.

As far as ADHD, I think there are plenty of other things that *may* be contributing to it. What about the ridiculous number of hours of TV that kids under 2 watch? Some say by the time they hit school, regular classroom teaching is so boring because they are used to what is basically the pulsating lights of TV. I''ve heard another probable cause as being junk food that contains MSG. Things like cheetos, which some people have no problem giving their kids. Perhaps it was less prevalent years ago because we were OUTSIDE PLAYING and not eating the amount of crap that kids eat today. I am WAY more inclined to believe it is these things than vaccines. But then, it''s so much easier to blame the evil drugs companies instead of looking internally, isn''t it?

OT :My daughter is hyperactive and doesn''t watch lots of TV or eat junk food. She even prefers books to TV. She''s too young to be diagnosed with ADHD but she does have some of the behaviors that go along with it. It makes things challenging sometimes.

Smo

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it is unbelievable that some of you aren''t able to get the vaccine or had to wait hours for it. I feel guilty because they offered the vaccine at my work, I work in banking and finance so obviously not high risk. Seems crazy that high risk people in the US are not able to get the vaccine as it isn''t available or has run out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results