shape
carat
color
clarity

Have an idea... lame?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

r1214

Rough_Rock
Let me start off by saying that while this is my first post, I''ve been reading PS for quite some time and have been using its tools and the knowledge learned from here. I have just put a deposit on a 1.2 AGS Ideal H VS2 (from a vendor I read about on here) and am awaiting for it to arrive at a local AGS certified appraiser to look over with me the middle of next week. I''m 99% sure this will be the *right* diamond and then I will get it set locally. I''ve been reading, researching, and looking for 2 months and am running out of time, so I am glad this purchase is about to be complete!

Anyway, on to the proposal- I am in IT (Information Technology) and I met my girlfriend 2 years ago when she worked for an IT vendor that was selling us equipment and services. We became friends and went out for the casual drink once and a while, and then drinks led to dinners, and dinners led to dates, and eventually we decided we could no longer ignore the fact that we were dating and falling for each other. I revealed it to my boss and she waited a few months to tell hers, as we were concerned about the perception that there might be a conflict of interest. I''m giving all of this background because the way we met and our initial business relationship is what evolved into a friendship, love, and our current relationship, and played a major part of our "finding" each other. So while I don''t want to make the proposal *about* that exactly, I do have an opportunity to kind of tie it back to that. I went through old email archives and was able to pinpoint the exact day that we met- she had come to our computer data center where I was working with her engineers on a big project go-live. She brought us donuts and introduced herself and I recall my emplyoees telling me immediately after she left that she was cute and I should ask her out.

Well that 2 year anniversary of our meeting is rapidly approaching and I would like to propose to her on that day. I am positive she has absolutely no idea the date when we first met - if anything, I am the sentimental one who remembers dates. More than anything for the proposal I want it to be a surprise. Location is not that important and I don''t want to take her somewhere or do something that might tip her off. The first part of my idea then of course, is to actually propose on the 2 year anniversary date that we met, and while it wouldn''t be what you would call a romantic setting, far from it actually, but also propose AT the location of our first meeting. I can get her there easily on a ruse (like have a co-worker page me that a computer system has crashed or something while we are in the car on the way somewhere mundane) and she will not be expecting to be proposed to in a computer data center. I think when I get down on my knee she will be so surprised she might think I''m joking at first. And its not like we haven''t talked about marriage a lot, she definitely knows it is just a matter of time before I pop the question. So after I give my brief speech, ask yer the question, and she says yes, I will let her know that whatever destination we were originally heading towards when I was paged, was just a trick and I actually have reservations at a nice restaurant for us to celebrate.

The icing on that cake, which I have not decided if it will come the same night, will be to tell her we are going to Vegas to celebrate, a few weeks later. Not to get married or anything, but she has wanted to go as long as I''ve known her and I booked the trip several months ago.

So my question, mostly for the ladies, is my location for proposal TOO un-romantic? I could always propose somewhere more romantic, at a quiet dinner, on a mountain view, etc., but my gut is that she will think it is very cute, and when she realizes that I took the time to plan it on the exact 2 year anniversary of our meeting, and the same location, I think she will melt :)

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I think that your strategy will make for a fine proposal. Don''t change a thing!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sweet. Very personal. I agree with Diamante -- don''t change a thing.

You might check with your boss to make sure it is okay. (I don''t see why it wouldn''t be but you know bosses...)

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Very sweet thoughts!! Um...I think it really depends on whether she is the "public proposal" type, especially when it is in front of coworkers. Will she okay with herself cry/kiss/hug-ing in front of her/your colleagues? The fact that she waited a few months to tell her boss might signal something? If you don''t think the above is going to be a problem, then I think your plan is wonderful! Good luck!
2.gif

r1214

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments everyone, I appreciate it. The date actually falls on a weekend and no one will be there. I will have a co-worker or friend page me to start the events in motion to convince her we need to go to my office, but other than that, it will just be the two of us.
1.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2009 10:30:23 AM
Author: r1214
Thanks for the comments everyone, I appreciate it. The date actually falls on a weekend and no one will be there. I will have a co-worker or friend page me to start the events in motion to convince her we need to go to my office, but other than that, it will just be the two of us.
1.gif

It sounds great then. Very personal and special.

Make sure to let us all know how it goes.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I think your plan is super romantic!!! And a surprise trip on top of that!!! She''s going to be really wowed
36.gif
Good luck!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds fabulous. Good luck with the proposal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results