shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat people - I need advice for kitty cold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kitty has a cold. I adopted him about 3 weeks ago from the shelter and he had the
cold at that time. I took him to my vet and they gave me Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate/
clavulanate potassium) for him. I gave that to him for about 4 days but it didnt seem to
change anything. The vet listened to his chest and said it wasnt in his lungs. He has weeping
from one eye and has trouble breathing through his nose at times (poor thing).

Is there anyone else out there that has had to deal with this? I''m wondering what else they might
be able to give him or do for him? (I think I''m going to take him back to the vet tomorrow).

I''d appreciate any suggestions anyone has.
Thanks tyty

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance that it is allergies?

Lilly sneezed nasty green stuff out of her nose, had trouble breathing sometimes, and walked around wheezing.
The vet tried a couple of different medications. Nothing seemed to help.

I needed more cat litter and the store I usually got it at was closed. Had to get something different.
Lilly sneezed less and less.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Cat colds are miserable.

Other than the meds, we used to "steam" the cats to help them breathe. I''d just steam up the bathroom really well and sit in there with them and try to get them to breathe in some of the steam.

It took nearly 10 days for our one cat to get over his cold, then immediately after, the next one had it.
20.gif

Good luck! Hope the kitties feel better!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Is it like an upper respiratory thing? (ie like feline herpes)

If so, try reading up on L-Lysine ...

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Cat colds are adorable
30.gif
. I think it is very sweet to listen to little kittie sneezies and I medicate with lots of ''bess you''s!'', warm their wet food for a few seconds in the microwave and keep a fire lit for kittie snuggles.

But, I wonder if your fella might have something else, based on the info that he had it at point of adoption? Did the vet give a diagnosis?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The poor dear
7.gif

I've had very good luck with steam, too. I turn the shower on as hot as it'll go, leave the fan off, and close the door for some twenty minutes, until it's really steamy, then I'll play with kitty in the bathtub for another twenty minutes or so. We do this three or four times a day, and it really seems to help - they immediately start breathing better, but more interestingly, the colds themselves seem to last 4-5 days on this regimen rather than 10.

We also put the sick one in a separate room at night with a heated sleeping pad, esp. when it starts getting cold.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a recipe for an eyewash that our vet gave us:

Boil 1/2 cup water and 1/4 tsp boric acid. Let cool. (Store in a clean jar or other container with a lid).

Wipe out kitty''s eyes with it (using a clean cotton ball for each eye) for 2-3 days.

If no improvement in 2-3 days, call the vet.

This is just for weepy, gooey eyes alone - with no other respiratory symptoms. It really seems to help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies for all the suggestions...I called the vet and they said to come in and get more of the same stuff
I already gave him
40.gif
. I think tomorrow I''ll try calling the shelter where I got him and see what they have to
say. In the mean time I''m going to take him in the shower with me for a little steam action
face16.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 7:04:05 PM
Author: tyty333
Thank you ladies for all the suggestions...I called the vet and they said to come in and get more of the same stuff
I already gave him
40.gif
. I think tomorrow I''ll try calling the shelter where I got him and see what they have to
say. In the mean time I''m going to take him in the shower with me for a little steam action
face16.gif
33.gif
But did they give you a reason? What do they think is wrong with the little mite?

Have you posted a pic of this little man? I hope the steam make him feel better.

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
When I first adopted my cat she had a BAD cat cold. One thing about cats and dogs is that if they can''t smell their food well, they wont eat it. Make sure your baby is eating. We had to give Bella just cooked bacon, beef, heated wet cat food, anything with a strong oder. I would also steam up the shower and take her in there for a few min. Make sure to clean up the eye goobers. Oh, and another good thing about wet food is that it helps keep them hydrated. Make sure to keep an eye on the litter box to see if your cat is eating and drinking well. Bella''s cold lasted her about two weeks
7.gif
. I hope your kitty feels better soon!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steel - when I took him in the first time they said it was an upper respiratory infection (I call it a kitty cold). I asked
the vet tech if they had anything stronger and she said that was all they have. I was going to start a tread for him
(because I am so happy to have him) but he isnt looking his best right now with his eye weeping.
8.gif

exoticisabella - the vet did warn me about him maybe not wanting to eat (and to heat up his food) but this cat
has been putting down food like you wouldnt believe! I''m a little worried about him over-eating but he is only
8 months old so I hate to limit his food intake while he is still in the growing phase. Thanks for the input...I''m
hoping the showers work too.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 days may not have been long enough to see big improvement if the cold is that bad. It may have been getting a bit better even if it didn''t look like it.

We are giving Miglet Clavamox for her infection. Didn''t see any visible improvement for at least 3 or 4 days. We''ve been giving it to her for almost 3 weeks now. (she still has some infection left but does seem to be improving)

Don''t give up on the meds yet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results