shape
carat
color
clarity

Aveda opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not familar with Aveda products at all so I''m turning to you for opinions.

The situation is that our entire resort (possibly the entire company of spas & hotels) is switching over to Aveda products in the rooms and for use in the spa & salon services. I know nothing about this company other than the literature, so I have no opinion, but many of my co-workers either love it (the young ones) or hate it (the seasoned service providers). Though I''ve been in the business for many years I have never been in a location that used the products, nor have I ever had anyone until this week ask me about it. We have not yet changed over to the products but they are currently in the rooms in the hotel.

So tell me what your views are on Aveda.

Love it, hate it and why?
Other spa/salon products you prefer and why?
Does it really matter to you?
What are your shopping habits when visiting a resort spa/salon?
Do you buy the products that were used during your services? (would you buy them online instead?)

Thank you so much.
1.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a lot of Aveda facial products, so when I go in for a facial or any other body treatment, I would prefer Aveda since I know it suits my skin. The only thing I don''t like about their products is that the fragrance is very very intense. It gives me a headache, and some of the oils they put in your hair etc takes a few washes to go away!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a fan of Aveda. I like all their products, really. The ones I''ve used most are the shampoo, conditioner, lotion and hair products (Control Paste and the Control gel stuff). I tried their make up once but wasn''t a huge fan of it, but as far as the bath and hair products go, I love them!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I used to use some of their hair products, and I really liked the way they worked...but, like kama_s, I have a problem with the fragrance. I had to stop using them because the smell was making me feel constantly nauseated. I don't know if they have any low- or no-fragrance products, but I would highly recommend that your resort take fragrances into account when deciding which products to go with. I'd imagine that most people with fragrance sensitivities would have a problem with Adeda, unfortunately.

ETA: we have an Aveda store in one of my local shopping malls, and just walking by makes me feel sick nowadays. I think my time using the products really screwed up my ability to tolerate them.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I like their hair products as well, but not the salon color. I felt like my color kept fading, so I decided to go to another salon and he said that Aveda color is notorious for fading faster than other colors. I still like the products, though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In general, I find their products good quality. However, strong aromas from some items are a turn off.

cheers--Sharon

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 11:49:57 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I like their hair products as well, but not the salon color. I felt like my color kept fading, so I decided to go to another salon and he said that Aveda color is notorious for fading faster than other colors. I still like the products, though.
It fades because they don't use chemicals. It is mostly organic coloring, and doesn't take well to some types of hair. My sister has beautiful fine hair, and it wouldn't hold in her hair either.

It is the only coloring that I have ever used for my hair. I love that it fades to a very natural looking tone.

I only use their hair products. Never tried facial products. My favorite thing, and DH's, is that you feel and smell like a salon all day after you have used it. Just my personal preference.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
while touted as using quality ingredients.....which i don''t doubt....they still put EDTA in their products. i''m allergic to EDTA and have a reaction to even one shampoo at a salon.

mz

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i''m not a fan of the odor of aveda products, but many people love them

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a big fan of Aveda, but I''m only familiar with their skin products. My skin is very dry and their line keeps my skin mosturized. I''ve been to other spa that carry other types of products like Elizabeth Arden at the Red Door Spa, B. Kamins, and Bliss. They''re all very nice products, but I usually stick with Aveda. My visits to spas/salons are few and far between so I usually purchase the products used during my services.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I use the hair products and I do go to an Aveda salon as well. And yes, the color fades on my hair too, I go every 3 weeks.

I also love L''Occitane products. I was at The Four Seasons in Scottsdale a while back and loved loved, their L''Occitane selections.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love their hair color because it doesn''t burn my scalp. Any other hair color leaves me burned and itching for at least five days after I''ve had my hair done. It does tend to fade, but I just used their clove conditioner (that I love) and it supplements my dark brown color well.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much to everyone that has responded so far! I''m really interested in knowing what people think about these products so please keep the comments coming.

Interesting about the hair color fading quickly.
I''m also sensitive to strong smells plus that is a serious consideration to many of our guests.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 12:33:17 PM
Author: movie zombie
while touted as using quality ingredients.....which i don''t doubt....they still put EDTA in their products. i''m allergic to EDTA and have a reaction to even one shampoo at a salon.

mz

I had to look up EDTA, wow....how did you figure that one out? It''s rather obscure and pretty specific depending on it''s use. It kind of negates the fabulous organic ingredients in my opinion. Sorry to hear about that and I wonder how common this allergy is?

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
I love most things Aveda. I regularly use their styling products, as well as face wash and moisturizer. The scent is wonderful in my opinion, and I''ve had good luck with what I have tried as far as quality.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I use aveda hair products. The color does fade quickly, and I agree that some of the products have too much fragrance. I find this more with the aromatherapy/ deep conditioning than the color though. It is a very strong woodsy/musky smell that can be very over-powering. However, I really like how my hair feels compared to other products I have used. I am a big pureology fan, but I like the Aveda just as much. It is also fairly expensive, and some aveda salons have a tendency to push products too much.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Love LOVE Aveda!!! It''s all I use on my hair, and I think it does a fantastic job! I used to go to an Aveda salon, until my stylist recently switched to a different salon. (BTW, her switch had nothing to do with Aveda . . . she loves Aveda products too and still uses them on herself sometimes!) My stylist now works at a Redken salon, so I''ve had both Aveda and Redken color on my hair in the past few months, and I really didn''t notice one fading any more or less than the other. And I love the smell of Aveda products! I don''t find it to be overpowering at all . . . in fact, I can''t smell my shampoo/conditioner unless I grab a piece of my hair and actually sniff it! LOL!
1.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Aveda smell but sometimes it is TOO STRONG. I received a gift-packaged Aveda box with various products for Christmas one year and we had to throw the box out almost immediately. It stunk up the entire house. WAY overwhelming. The products themselves don''t bother me, though.

+1 on color fades, but I also think it''s less harsh than other dyes

I''m not a major fan of their makeup... It doesn''t bother my skin (in fact, it feels great on my sensitive skin) but I think most products are too shiny or shimmery for my taste. I like matte finishes.

Aveda smoothing hair serums (one is a creme and one is a clear shine serum) are INCREDIBLE!!!! I''ll have to go look at the exact names. No other product makes my hair so smooth and silky and protects from heat styling better than Aveda products.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I just made an appt at a salon that uses Aveda. New salon for me, new stylist, too...a very big step for me.

So...this color fade thing...does it affect all colors? I need highlights and I really don''t want to pay for a fading product.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Love the products. I started using in May, after listening to my friend rave about Aveda for the last couple of years. I used to try EVERYTHING that came out on the market, in the hope that something would finally give me great hair. I've been able to throw away all other products. Aveda is that good.

I have fine hair, a lot of it, and it can be wavy with a tendency toward frizzy in high humidity. The Phomolient spray is perfect for coercing my stubborn locks into submission. I also like their shampoos; currently I'm using their Suncare line because it does such a good job of removing product residue from my hair.

It's great for anyone who colors their hair. Keeps that healthy shine, and the color lasts twice as long. (I do my own color.)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 10:20:19 PM
Author: cnspotts

Date: 10/20/2009 12:33:17 PM
Author: movie zombie

mz

I had to look up EDTA, wow....how did you figure that one out? It''s rather obscure and pretty specific depending on it''s use. It kind of negates the fabulous organic ingredients in my opinion. Sorry to hear about that and I wonder how common this allergy is?
well, i had a HORRIBLE allergic reaction on the back of my neck, down my back, across my chest and down my arms. went to a dermatologist who did allergy tests to all kinds of things, including chemicals. so i didn''t come up with it: a licensed medical doctor did. i have to read the label on everything...the stuff is everywhere. i can only control so much and about every 1.5-2 years my system gets overwhelmed and i have a breakout. i can go to an aveda salon and have my hair washed and be itching by the time i leave.....when they tried to sell me products, i read the labels and let them know that i have an allergy to the ingredient.

also, i have to be careful with prescriptions as well: as i said its everywhere.

mz

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 11:33:18 PM
Author: dianne
I just made an appt at a salon that uses Aveda. New salon for me, new stylist, too...a very big step for me.

So...this color fade thing...does it affect all colors? I need highlights and I really don''t want to pay for a fading product.
A good friend of mine went to the same stylist as I did and she got highlights--her highlights always looked fabulous and didn''t fade. My color was more red, which is prone to fading, anyway. I really like the color itself.

HollyS, I also use the Phomolient and looove it. I recently switched to the volumizing spray from Bumble and Bumble and it was fine, but I''m going back to the Phomolient.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Again, Thanks to everyone that has responded, keep it coming! I'm loving hearing everyone's opinions.

I've worked in the spa industry for so long that I rarely smell the products anymore so it'll be interesting to see how Aveda's powerful smell works on me and for how long. Some of our guests are really sensitive to smell (trigger for migrains, sinus problems, etc.) I hate to think that we'd lose faithful clients because of the strong smell we'll be introducing with Aveda products. I've always tended toward unscented products for my clients and only add aroma when requested, so many people appreciate that. Others though say they love the overall smell of the spa and it makes their visit more "spa" like and special because of it.

It looks like most everyone loves the hair products, so I can't wait to try the smoothing serums on my hair and the shampoos too. My hair is long, super full, thick and blond plus it has so much natural body which is nice, but sometimes I like it to be smooth and silky. I use a silcone type product every time I wash to keep it tame, but at the same time I also stay pretty oily on the scalp. It's a careful balance. It's also highlighted these days which drys it out, another consideration. It's tough being a woman!

My skin is pretty sensitive so the least I do to it the better. I always regret trying new skin care a few days after I do it then it takes weeks for my skin to recover. It'll be fun to play with their make-up but I've found mineral makeup works the best for my skin type.

Aveda can be bought in so many places do you shop around for the best price for your products?
Being a Resort, we tend to mark up a little bit more then a regular shop would so I'm always curious where people make their purchases.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I use their Pure Abudance line (have medium-fine hair) and I really like it. The smell is okay, not bad, not great, but I like what the product does for my hair - gives it lots of volume.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I use Aveda products and have been for years. I love the smelll! I have not had the fading experience that some of you speak of, I usually get a lowlight (medium/darkish brown) and a bright/light blonde highlight. Maybe the fading comes from using non- Aveda shampoo/conditioner products after color? Some of the cheaper drugstore brands tend to wash out coloring no matter where you get your color done.

I have very fine hair too, so when I use the products, Emollient foam is one, I don''t use a whole lot of product, and the gel as well. I mean, I''m talking as little as the amount of an eraser tip and it is just enough for me!

Love, love, love the hand and foot lotion too! Good stuff!!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 8:51:47 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Date: 10/21/2009 11:33:18 PM
Author: dianne

A good friend of mine went to the same stylist as I did and she got highlights--her highlights always looked fabulous and didn''t fade. My color was more red, which is prone to fading, anyway. I really like the color itself.

HollyS, I also use the Phomolient and looove it. I recently switched to the volumizing spray from Bumble and Bumble and it was fine, but I''m going back to the Phomolient.
Thanks, NEL, for putting my mind a bit more at ease.
1.gif

jinx3875

Rough_Rock
Hi! I''m not a regular poster here, but thought I would give my $.02 on this one. I absolutely love the smell of Aveda, but am unable to use any of the products because the overload of botanicals cause me to break out and get very red on my scalp and face. I heard somewhere that anyone with respiratory plant allergies may have a hard time with aveda products causing skin and scalp reactions. That''s always made me sad because the smell is divine!

As far as selling the products in the spa, I think it might go one of two ways. Aveda products are typically less expensive than exclusive spa brands, so you may find that you get more people purchasing. On the flip side of that though is the fact that Aveda products are pretty easy to get your hands on in the retail market and people might not want to pay a spa markup for them.

Good luck, I hope the new line is a success for your spa!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results