shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to start with LR/DR window dressings (for design enthusiasts)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I posted a lot last year on our DR/LR furnishings. It''s been done for awhile and then we just took a break from it all. Well I am having to face the fact that curtains have to go up sometime in these rooms--it really lacks a finished look otherwise.

My issue is these rooms require something a little more polished looking since they are formal areas and will be seen by everyone as they walk in! So I don''t want to try to do something makeshift. On the other hand interior designers are expensive as are custom curtains!

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there something in between? Do the Ethan Allen style shops help with this, or are they rip offs? Should I focus on more specialized designers or try to do some of it on our own. We have lots of windows including large ones on the front of the house which might look best with draped valance look. The house is an older colonial style. Help!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t know what you are doing I would probably just keep it simple and get some lovely silk dupioni curtains in a single color or something like that. Do you have a picture of the space? That might help!

I''m a big fan of nothing too ornate on the windows unless you really know what you are doing. Can''t really go too wrong with a great simple silk curtain.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Country curtains is a good place to look and buy ready made. A popular blog, Cote de Texas, written by someone whom specializes in country french, had a great writeup about curtains so I'll include the link. I think it has some useful knowledge even if you don't decorate in that style.

Cote de Texas Top design element: Curtains

If you want some feedback, post pics and we'll play
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 2:08:26 PM
Author: heraanderson
Country curtains is a good place to look and buy ready made.

I worked at CC taking phone in orders for my first ever job when I was 14.
9.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not familiar with your area, janine, but do you guy have a JC Penney or Restoration Hardware? JCP sells a wonderful pinch pleated drape that doesn''t break the bank.

Personally, I''m a custom fan. Yes, they do cost a great deal, but if you get panels instead of full function drapes you can knock off some of the cost.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks all--i''m going to try to post some pics to make it easier..

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
ok here are some pics of the living room. The room adjacent to this one is the dining room and has the same large window facing out (front of house). The sheers we have up are temporary just for privacy at night.

livrm.jpeg

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 2:08:26 PM
Country curtains is a good place to look and buy ready made. A popular blog, Cote de Texas, written by someone whom specializes in country french, had a great writeup about curtains so I''ll include the link. I think it has some useful knowledge even if you don''t decorate in that style.

Cote de Texas Top design element: Curtains

If you want some feedback, post pics and we''ll play
1.gif
I read this blog constantly, love it and hope to meet Joni the author some day.

Ok, maybe some painted wooden blinds and then heavy silk drapes just on the sides

or, shutters, wide planks, painted to match your walls, and drapes on sides.

I''d have to go back and look at your picture, but can you place the curtains higher, closer to the ceiling.
Cote de Texas has mentioned this I''m sure on her blog. And there are tons of design blogs out there.
I spend hours reading them.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
If you have a sizable budget, Restoration hardware has gorgeous silk drapery. I like a stripe with your room, but the striped side chair would need to be moved. I wouldn't go too crazy on the contrast so stay on the lighter side.

restoration hardware drape 1

prod1155402_FALL07_cl463002.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Here's another stripe with a little bit of red in it.
I don't like the valance but I do like the pattern. I even like the idea of solid colored cornice boxes.
country curtains option 2

010150424_50424PT_dt.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of a solid silk as well. I think they look best fluffy so I wouldn''t skimp on the quality of it.
I don''t know about their quality but I think they look pretty. I can only really vouch for RH''s silk which is gorgeous. I think there''s seller on ebay that can make some nice silk treatments for about half the price.

I can''t help feeling a print would be nice, but I''m still looking...

silk panels

Hera

Ideal_Rock
here's the pic, I like the color too. I like the layering they did too. I agree to raise the rod higher as well.

010150276_dt.jpg

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 10:49:50 PM
here''s the pic, I like the color too. I like the layering they did too. I agree to raise the rod higher as well.
I like this one, maybe without the sheers.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks her! we actually have RH silk panels in our bedroom (raised as close to ceiling as will go). They are lovely but i worry about it feeling too heavy in the LR since we have 3 windows and it is not a huge room. I like your suggestions though...going to take a look at some of the links now.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 5:01:26 PM
Author: pennquaker09
I''m not familiar with your area, janine, but do you guy have a JC Penney or Restoration Hardware? JCP sells a wonderful pinch pleated drape that doesn''t break the bank.

Personally, I''m a custom fan. Yes, they do cost a great deal, but if you get panels instead of full function drapes you can knock off some of the cost.
hi penn!
35.gif
We pretty have much all stores in our area. We have RH drapes in our bedroom, very luxurious looking. Wondering if it''s too heavy for the LR which is kind of small? Anyway, any suggestions on custom route without spending a fortune? My mother told me something about it costing 10K which scared me off since that is not in the budget!! With one large window and 2 smaller side ones, do I have to stay in same style for all 3? The ceilings are also not that high...these older houses are harder to work with.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Liking the country curtain link..thank you. Can anyone vouch for the quality though?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 11:15:11 AM
Author: janinegirly
Liking the country curtain link..thank you. Can anyone vouch for the quality though?
I''ve heard good things about them and would at least order some swatches if I was going to buy ready made. You could try googling them and seeing what reviews people have put out for them.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 11:15:11 AM

Many years ago when I worked for them the quality was excellent. Don''t know about now but they have been around a LONG time. I know you are in NYC-if you ever go to the Berkshires they have a store and a yearly blowout sale.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 10:42:06 AM
thanks her! we actually have RH silk panels in our bedroom (raised as close to ceiling as will go). They are lovely but i worry about it feeling too heavy in the LR since we have 3 windows and it is not a huge room. I like your suggestions though...going to take a look at some of the links now.
Silk and velvet are very formal materials so they work in more formal areas. Maybe you could try going into a cream color for the drapery to stay lighter. I did notice your ceiling height and the best way to acheive the visual appearance of height is striped drapery because your eye is drawn upwards. The striped chair would be an issue in your room though and it would be print overkill in your room. As is, a solid would work best, but if you were to move the chair, I would select a subtle stripe.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Is that a Renoir above your fireplace?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
SP: yes it is, good eye!

Heraanderson: I would prefer a stripe too..too bad about the chair. Would a subtle stripe in the curtain (ie thin one in the crease) clash too? I need to start sifting through some magazines for inspiration. Here''s a picture of what started me on the red n'' yellow path.

LR789.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 10:06:03 PM
SP: yes it is, good eye!

Heraanderson: I would prefer a stripe too..too bad about the chair. Would a subtle stripe in the curtain (ie thin one in the crease) clash too? I need to start sifting through some magazines for inspiration. Here's a picture of what started me on the red n' yellow path.

Truthfully, if it were me I would definitely consider it . While the striped chair is so dominant in the photo, it's just one small section of the room.

Some options to bring a stripe into your window treatment:
1. Striped patterned drapes
2. Use striped sheers with solid panels
3. Put a trim onto the panel. I think this is a such a cool concept that you could do by ironing on or stitching or some other fashion. It's just that little detail I love and I think would coordinate with your room. On the Cote de Texas blog, there's this picture that is similar to drapes in your inspiration pic but with the edge detail. Here' it is:

image_thumb129.png

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Janine, I really love the sofa and chairs. They look great.

So, first, I have a few questions. Do you plan on installing crown molding? If you do, that''s definitely going to make a difference with your window treatments.

You don''t have super high ceilings and I think you''re going to have to install whatever you end up going with as close to the ceiling as possible.

Do you want full functioning treatments? Because, I think you could keep the sheers and just have dummy panels made. And, yes, I know first hand that custom costs quite a bit, but the panels I had made were intricate. There''s more than one fabric and there''s also trim and what not. Plus, I chose a really nice silk.

Anyway, you don''t have to buy $240 a yard fabric. I was at a fabric store the other day and I saw a lot of beautiful things for practically nothing.

Also, I think you really need a print; preferably, something floral. When I look at the room, I sort of feel like you need something to bring it all together and I think you can do it with some beautiful drapes. Also, if I may give you a little advice, take the chairs and have them face each other across the coffee table. And, if it''s in the budget, I think another wing chair would be a great addition (you need more red). Lastly, do you plain on painting the ceiling?

Oops, one more, I love the rug! Where did you get it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2009 4:19:45 AM

So, first, I have a few questions. Do you plan on installing crown molding? If you do, that''s definitely going to make a difference with your window treatments.

You don''t have super high ceilings and I think you''re going to have to install whatever you end up going with as close to the ceiling as possible.

Do you want full functioning treatments? Because, I think you could keep the sheers and just have dummy panels made. And, yes, I know first hand that custom costs quite a bit, but the panels I had made were intricate. There''s more than one fabric and there''s also trim and what not. Plus, I chose a really nice silk.

Anyway, you don''t have to buy $240 a yard fabric. I was at a fabric store the other day and I saw a lot of beautiful things for practically nothing.

Also, I think you really need a print; preferably, something floral. When I look at the room, I sort of feel like you need something to bring it all together and I think you can do it with some beautiful drapes. Also, if I may give you a little advice, take the chairs and have them face each other across the coffee table. And, if it''s in the budget, I think another wing chair would be a great addition (you need more red). Lastly, do you plain on painting the ceiling?

Penn always has great suggestions! I agree with adding a different crown molding and a floral print for the drapes. I love the red and golds!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock

So, first, I have a few questions. Do you plan on installing crown molding? If you do, that's definitely going to make a difference with your window treatments.

You don't have super high ceilings and I think you're going to have to install whatever you end up going with as close to the ceiling as possible.

Do you want full functioning treatments? Because, I think you could keep the sheers and just have dummy panels made. And, yes, I know first hand that custom costs quite a bit, but the panels I had made were intricate. There's more than one fabric and there's also trim and what not. Plus, I chose a really nice silk.

Anyway, you don't have to buy $240 a yard fabric. I was at a fabric store the other day and I saw a lot of beautiful things for practically nothing.

Also, I think you really need a print; preferably, something floral. When I look at the room, I sort of feel like you need something to bring it all together and I think you can do it with some beautiful drapes. Also, if I may give you a little advice, take the chairs and have them face each other across the coffee table. And, if it's in the budget, I think another wing chair would be a great addition (you need more red). Lastly, do you plain on painting the ceiling?

Thanks Penn!! I was so anxious to hear what you'd say! Hadn't thought about crown molding since that's more DH's expertise/role, but I think it would be great so will see what he says! Agree with you on the floral drapes too, the room just needs something extra! I guess I need to start keeping my eyes open for inspiration--any suggestions on sites or magazines for this sort of thing? And good point on panels vs. functional curtains. I don't think we need functional ones.

I hadn't thought of painting the ceiling, do you think that would work? I really love all your suggestions, it's inspiring!

As for the rug, it's Tayse (part of Kashmir collection). We had a lot of misses before finding this one, returned 2 or 3 rugs that should have worked, but didn't once in the room.

And lastly (for anyone)-- I'm curious if I have 2 large windows in the front of the house (one being the living room in question), is it important that they both have the same style window dressings? (ie either both drapes/panels, or both valances, etc). I'm guessing yes otherwise looks uneven from the outside? Again it's a traditional colonial, so very symmetrical.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 10:59:13 PM

So, first, I have a few questions. Do you plan on installing crown molding? If you do, that's definitely going to make a difference with your window treatments.

You don't have super high ceilings and I think you're going to have to install whatever you end up going with as close to the ceiling as possible.

Do you want full functioning treatments? Because, I think you could keep the sheers and just have dummy panels made. And, yes, I know first hand that custom costs quite a bit, but the panels I had made were intricate. There's more than one fabric and there's also trim and what not. Plus, I chose a really nice silk.

Anyway, you don't have to buy $240 a yard fabric. I was at a fabric store the other day and I saw a lot of beautiful things for practically nothing.

Also, I think you really need a print; preferably, something floral. When I look at the room, I sort of feel like you need something to bring it all together and I think you can do it with some beautiful drapes. Also, if I may give you a little advice, take the chairs and have them face each other across the coffee table. And, if it's in the budget, I think another wing chair would be a great addition (you need more red). Lastly, do you plain on painting the ceiling?

Thanks Penn!! I was so anxious to hear what you'd say! Hadn't thought about crown molding since that's more DH's expertise/role, but I think it would be great so will see what he says! Agree with you on the floral drapes too, the room just needs something extra! I guess I need to start keeping my eyes open for inspiration--any suggestions on sites or magazines for this sort of thing? And good point on panels vs. functional curtains. I don't think we need functional ones.

I hadn't thought of painting the ceiling, do you think that would work? I really love all your suggestions, it's inspiring!

As for the rug, it's Tayse (part of Kashmir collection). We had a lot of misses before finding this one, returned 2 or 3 rugs that should have worked, but didn't once in the room.

And lastly (for anyone)-- I'm curious if I have 2 large windows in the front of the house (one being the living room in question), is it important that they both have the same style window dressings? (ie either both drapes/panels, or both valances, etc). I'm guessing yes otherwise looks uneven from the outside? Again it's a traditional colonial, so very symmetrical.

Whatever you put in the living room, put the same thing in the dining room. I personally think you need pinch pleats.

And yes, paint the ceiling if you can. Start with the color of your walls and have them tint the paint 25% lighter. The ceiling is in actuality, the "5th wall." And because you don't currently have crown, it's really noticeable.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
So DH tells me we do have crown molding, but that it is barely noticeable in the photo as it is not painted in a contrasting color (it''s blending in with the wall color). We need to have it painted, or do you think more is needed?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t forgot about you, I''m looking for the profile of the crown that I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results