shape
carat
color
clarity

What Clarity is too Included?

At what clarity level does a diamond seem to be too polluted?

• VS1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • SI2

• I1

• I3, again, is this necessary?

• SI1

• I2

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Here is one for clarity as well(GIA and comparable scale)...

Edit: For ENGAGEMENT Centerstone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Set some guidelines like..GIA graded...or EGL graded? Big difference!
1.gif

That helps people imagine the clarity in their mind instead of having such a broad stroke. Israel EGL SI would be too included on many counts. But GIA or AGS SI? Probably okay.

I would say if it was GIA/AGS graded properly...an I1 is where it starts to get sketchy. I have seen eye-clean SI2s and would consider one myself. If you can find something like that, it's a GEM in my opinion. Heck there have even been some I1's recently that appear really eye-clean.

It really depends alot on the lab and grading.

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
LOL, depends are these for GIA or EGL or some of those weird independant grading comapnes that are like 5 to 8 grades off GIA?

This stone below is an SI2 stone. looks fine. Eye clean is good enough unless you want to have that extra %5

DanDiamond6.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
My jeweler wears some fantastic I2's. She maximizes the bang for her buck on both clarity and color. It would really depend on the Grading Lab and the inclusions. So I can't answer again!
1.gif

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
I started the two polls on clarity and color because or two reasons:

1) too many people are obsessed about size. Yes, it is nice to sport the hugest rock possible! But let the results of these polls be taken into context. I think you can begin to see that D-G and IF-VS1 is emerging as the superior quality traits, according to the opinion of PS members. Do we agree? "I love stirring the pot
11.gif
"

2) I wanted to have a general answer to someone asking me from now on, "what diamond quality is awesome?" I am the first of my friends to get engaged, so i know I'll be answering to them alot in the future, "Anything G, VS1, very good cut and above. Size is totally your preference, dude."

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Again as per my comment in the color thread, I am really surprised to see votes for VS2 as too polluted.

I think part of it is experience..if you have seen a horribly graded SI1 at the maul then I could see people being misinformed about clarity...but I would still choose an SI2 eye-clean over a VS1 ANY DAY even if I had unlimited funds to spend.
2.gif
Why pay for what your eye CANNOT see?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think this question is a bit broad because one's minimum threshold for clarity really depends on too many variables.

Is the stone a round brilliant, or is it an emerald cut? My answers would be different for each because each has a different look......emeralds don't mask inclusions well the way rounds do.

Is it for an e-ring or a pendant? One gets *much* closer scrutiny than the other, so clarity would be more important in that case.

Clarity grades aren't hard and fast, either......I choose an eyeclean SI2 diamond with WHITE inclusions over an SI1 diamond with DARK inclusions.....not all inclusions are created equal.

I think dismissing any stone out of hand that's I1 or better is a mistake. I personally feel there are just too many variables when choosing a diamond to say "I don't want anything less than VS."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results