shape
carat
color
clarity

My custom setting and honest opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember now, but is it done and on its way to you?

The humor that Tgal mentioned-I snickered quite a bit when I read his reply..you know how you you laugh and go hahahaha oh wait..is that funny or is that mean? I''m horrified if it''s meant to be mean..but yet, if it''s him trying to be funny and lighten the mood..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom,
I''m really shocked and saddened. I once purchased a very expensive art deco style lamp from a high end lighting dealer once. I remember it was defective and he refused to refund my money. When I called him, I said I was never going to shop with him, and he had the audacity to tell me that HE wouldn''t let ME shop at his store. I was also appalled. Regardless if the ring is the most beautiful piece in person, the letter was extremely rude, and the audacity to say he''ll allow YOU to buy from HIM in the future, and to tell you that he pities your husband. Extremely unprofessional and rude behavior. I think most vendors here would be shocked by his actions as well. I''m so very very sorry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2009 5:00:43 PM
Author: Boom

Date: 9/25/2009 4:50:43 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I've been following this thread Boom, and I have nothing to say but that I'm soooooo sorry you went through this.

That email is beyond unprofessional. I am just appalled at his behavior. Does he not realize that no matter what, even if it showed up and was magically perfect, that this ring has been ruined for you due to such a miserable experience?

My heart goes out to you my dear.
Thank you Freke, that's exactly what I meant by ruined. I wasn't saying it woul d not be a well made ring.

Here's the WO
Unless there is a very specific checklist of each and every possible component that makes up the ring, such as the request for an airline, a work order like this is a recipie for disaster. I think it's extremely unfair to put that blame on you for not requesting an airline, especially if one is a novice at getting a custom piece made (not you, but anyone). I'm a bit shocked, that for the prices he charges, the work order is so simplistic, and the man does not put the design in a visual representation before approval (as most jewelers do). Again, I'm so sorry about this Boom. I do hope you love the ring once you get it in person though.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I might be a bit strange but his letter is comforting in some ways. He is so cofident in this ring that it might turn out to be a compelete beauty when it arrives - if that is the case, we can start a new thread and admire it. I personally love the way the split shank is on your ring - I like the short ones and wanted my own ring to be like that (it turned out the reverse). I also had a really disappointing experience with another jeweler - the difference is that she is bending over backwards to make it right.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! I had hoped some day I could afford a Leon ring. Screw that.

Sure, your reply might have been a bit emotional. But you are the customer and it's your hard earned money! I feel like you were trying to express your concerns initially (prior to this email) to prevent him shipping a ring when there were things you didn't like in the pictures. Leon acted like there was no option. You had to accept this ring. I think that's quite obnoxious! So yes, your email was a bit emotional, mine probably would have been too. I'm guessing this isn't the first time he's has a situation like this. Does he act like this every time? Is every customer obligated to take what he makes? Does he have an no return clause? I had no idea you were such a repeat customer! That makes this more appalling to me! I think he crossed the line in his email. He is suppose to be the professional. He could have kindly suggest you wait to see the ring and talk about concerns then. However, he's an obnoxious arrogant jerk. It's black and white for him. He made the ring - you must like it. Has he never had to redo a piece of work before? Has he never refunded money before? That's part of business. I'm surprised he even gets repeat customers this way. Quite frankly I hope this thread slows down his business.

Edited to add: The airline issue is just beyond comprehension to me. How can this man believe that you requested this? That is what he practically screams in that email. It's ridiculous!

Boom

Shiny_Rock
First, the ring is not on the way yet. My check has to clear first.
Second I posted before seeing the ring because I wanted to see if more people here shared my viewpoint or if I was being paranoid. If my concerns were shared by others, then I thought I could perhaps ask Leon to make some tweaks before he sent it out.
Third, this ring is "ruined" for me because of the underlying things that have happened, not because it is not going to be a well made ring.
Fourth, in retrospect, I was too emotional in my email, but it wasn''t sent in a fit, I did ask a friend to look at it for me. I do think I tried to make some constructive points.

Finally, the email that I received. I see the humour, I see the personal insults and I see his tremendous ego at play. I don''t appreciate him making stuff up, but the email has helped me cut all emotional expectations I have for the ring. It is no longer my dream setting. It is a ring that was made with the jeweler''s vision.

And to those who are giving Leon the benefit of the doubt, I understand. I was one of you too until this happened to me. There are of course 2 sides to every story, but what happened is very real to me. Now I read the threads where other posters have had problems with Leon in a new light. I believed that their problems were real when I first read their threads but I had no idea how horrible Leon could be.

I apologize for taking up so much for PSers'' time in the CS forum. I lurk because I am not the kind of person who is comfortable sharing my feelings. To be the cause of a thread like this just terrifies me. I''m sorry if I wasn''t able to answer each point raised by everyone who took the time to post. I did try to provide some clarity to my actions, I hope you understand.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 9:56:58 PM
It is no longer my dream setting. It is a ring that was made with the jeweler's vision.
I think this is key in this particular situation.

I still hope that even though this ring is not what you wanted, and regardless of all of this strife it has put you through, that it will at least be acceptable, and you can enjoy your stone in it for the time being.

Sometimes its not about the end product, and about the journey to get there, and this journey has been ruined for you, and that journey has ruined the end product.

I, for one, am happy you spoke up and posted this thread.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 6:19:23 PM
Author: smitcompton
Hi Boom.
Sorry you have become so upset with your ring. I think this is a good place to express your concern over the look of your ring. However, I think you have jumped the gun because you have decided that all the supposed faults are in fact real. Leon is right--you haven''t seen the ring yet. Right now, this is the most important thing. I think Leon took the time to answer you and actually does like you. I''m not sure where you get that.

He is treating you as if you are a young girl and does understand that you are upset. Thats why he says he feels for your husband. He believes you. I''m sorry but I don''t understand this?
Couldn''t you just wait until you see the ring. Your own state of mind can change your perception of it. And if Leon is right and it is beautiful? I''m hoping Leon keeps you as a customer. I think there is a chance it coud be perfect for you. Perfect? I don''t think so.

I think Leon showed some humility. He is not a genuis, he''s a jeweler. Don''t write anymore until you see it. I seriously considered this, but I wanted to acknowledge those that were kind enough to post, including you. :)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I apologize for taking up so much for PSers'' time in the CS forum. I lurk because I am not the kind of person who is comfortable sharing my feelings. To be the cause of a thread like this just terrifies me. I''m sorry if I wasn''t able to answer each point raised by everyone who took the time to post. I did try to provide some clarity to my actions, I hope you understand.
IMHO you have NO reason to apologize! Threads like this are very helpful in a consumer forum and its generous of you to put yourself out there ... emotions & all.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:06:40 PM
Author: FrekeChild

It is no longer my dream setting. It is a ring that was made with the jeweler''s vision.
I think this is key in this particular situation.

I still hope that even though this ring is not what you wanted, and regardless of all of this strife it has put you through, that it will at least be acceptable, and you can enjoy your stone in it for the time being.

Sometimes its not about the end product, and about the journey to get there, and this journey has been ruined for you, and that journey has ruined the end product.

I, for one, am happy you spoke up and posted this thread.
Thank you for your post. Now that I have accepted it for what it is, I look forward to seeing in person. It''s not my dream setting anymore, but it probably is still a well made ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, the ring is not on the way yet. My check has to clear first.
Second I posted before seeing the ring because I wanted to see if more people here shared my viewpoint or if I was being paranoid. If my concerns were shared by others, then I thought I could perhaps ask Leon to make some tweaks before he sent it out.
Third, this ring is ''ruined'' for me because of the underlying things that have happened, not because it is not going to be a well made ring.
Fourth, in retrospect, I was too emotional in my email, but it wasn''t sent in a fit, I did ask a friend to look at it for me. I do think I tried to make some constructive points.

Finally, the email that I received. I see the humour, I see the personal insults and I see his tremendous ego at play. I don''t appreciate him making stuff up, but the email has helped me cut all emotional expectations I have for the ring. It is no longer my dream setting. It is a ring that was made with the jeweler''s vision.

And to those who are giving Leon the benefit of the doubt, I understand. I was one of you too until this happened to me. There are of course 2 sides to every story, but what happened is very real to me. Now I read the threads where other posters have had problems with Leon in a new light. I believed that their problems were real when I first read their threads but I had no idea how horrible Leon could be.

Boom,
You should not apologize!! Many of us owe you a great debt because you saved them from repeating a similar experience. I am truly sorry you had to be the one that had to suffer though. I appreciate when anyone shares an experience on PS, bad as well as good. Thank you so much!!! Besides, talking about it is good for the soul, and helps when someone is distressed as you are. Although you don''t post much, this thread has made me quite impressed with you as a person.
1.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:13:01 PM
Author: decodelighted

IMHO you have NO reason to apologize! Threads like this are very helpful in a consumer forum and its generous of you to put yourself out there ... emotions & all.
Agreed! This will save someone from going through the same thing.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:17:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Boom,
You should not apologize!! Many of us owe you a great debt because you saved them from repeating a similar experience. I am truly sorry you had to be the one that had to suffer though. I appreciate when anyone shares an experience on PS, bad as well as good. Thank you so much!!! Besides, talking about it is good for the soul, and helps when someone is distressed as you are. Although you don''t post much, this thread has made me quite impressed with you as a person.
1.gif
TL,

Yes, it was good talking about it. It helped me come to terms with my situation.

Your straightforward replies in this thread forced me to open my eyes, thank you.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:17:36 PM
Author: hoofbeats95

Very true! I bet it will save a LOT of people the heartache and headaches!

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:17:36 PM
Author: hoofbeats95

Thank you for saying that. Although I started this thread to see if my initial feelings about the setting were valid, so it was purely selfish, I do hope that anyone considering Leon will read this thread and at least know that this could happen to them if something goes wrong. Perhaps they can avoid my mistakes and be more specific in their work order, but then of course they might be scolded for ''micro-managing''.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 8:09:34 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I might be a bit strange but his letter is comforting in some ways. He is so cofident in this ring that it might turn out to be a compelete beauty when it arrives - if that is the case, we can start a new thread and admire it. I personally love the way the split shank is on your ring - I like the short ones and wanted my own ring to be like that (it turned out the reverse). I also had a really disappointing experience with another jeweler - the difference is that she is bending over backwards to make it right.

I have been thinking of having a split shank that you could only see in profile when I redo my ring... but that''s a choice, if that''s not what you want then getting it won''t make your heart soar. I actually can relate quite a bit to her situation with my own and there''s a really good chance she will think it''s beautiful in its own way and that still might not make her feel satisfied.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I have followed this entire thread. I feel really bad for you that something that should be exciting and fun has turned out to be one big headache. I am glad you posted this because maybe it wll save someone else from having to go through this. And if it was me his email would have really offended me. It did not seem funny at all even if he thought his intent was to be light and joking.

I had thought about having LM set my big tsavorite next year but I am not going to send him the stone now. I was already a bit nervous after reading about Ellen''s experience with her aqua but reading about your experience has made me decide that I would not be able to deal with someone like this.

I do hope that perhaps you will get lucky and the ring will look better once you receive it.

trishy

Shiny_Rock
awwww boom, your posts DEFINATELY helped... you saved me from going down this path. hugs to you. your stone is beautiful by the way. if nothing else, it''ll be good to have that beautiful gem back. you must miss it. im so sorry, this is hard. do you plan on going to the bbb? or are you getting to a point of numbness? what will you do in either case? if the ring is better in person? or worse in person? have you thought this far?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 4:21:48 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
My first reaction was laughter, mostly because I couldn''t imagine how this could not be a cruel joke! Seriously, who talks like that to a customer? I can see why he was nicknamed the ring-nazi.

As was mine. Boom, I am so so sorry, you had to go through this. I am really hoping that your ring looks better, when you receive it.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 4:33:06 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
6.gif

Boom, I have no words. Had I received that email, I''d have posted the whole thing in it''s entirety to my claim with the BBB. ((((((hugs)))))))

I''m so sorry for you, Boom, and sorry he went the personal attack route. This is unacceptable customer service and I can''t believe he would put all of that into an email!
My thoughts exactly! This is unbelievable and I''m SO sorry to hear this. NOTHING is worth going through crap like this man can dish out. I''ve experienced his "attitude" before and I haven''t even made a purchase yet....he makes me scared to even email him anymore.
38.gif

Boom, great big hugs to you!!!!

Lori

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Some very good points made lately, especially by Decodelighted. Boom, you could''ve waited to see the ring before proclaiming it to be ruined. He is right that a lenght of the split is a personal preference, and we can see that from Charmypoo''s response, so if no specifics were mentioned about this issue in the work order (and I don''t see any) he didn''t do anything wrong. He probably figured that it would be best to do a short one for some reason, and since work order contained no specifics, he chose to do that. About the airline - the following part, and having to look at the work order says a lot;

If I were doing it again, I''d say no airline.
So you think you’ve made a mistake choosing an airline. Why would you blame me for your choice? I disagree that this is a mistake, but again – this is a matter of personal preferences, your wish is my command.

you should be telling the customer why an airline is needed
Again – it’s not needed, it’s a choice of a design, your choice, you’ve made it.

I would expect the airline to be minimal and equidistant on all sides
You are correct and it is. The airline is uniform, 0.3 mm wide. This is what we do most of the time. If you have a preference of particular airline width you should have specified it on your work order that you SIGNED.

There is NO MENTION of an airline in the work order, so his claims that you chose to have one, even if true, would probably stand no chance as being used as evidence in a legal case (I''m no legal expert BTW). He claims you asked for an airline, but even if you did, work order doesen''t mention it anywhere. But that same thing, isn''t working in your favour either - if there''s no mention of an airline in a signed work order, it simply means that it''s not important if there is one or not, and that it''s open to interpretation i.e. he can choose to do it or not. And if his policies (which I haven''t read) state that he''ll decide on everything that''s not specified by the customer, there''s really nothing to complain here - you haven''t specified something that''s a matter of personal preference and it''s therefore his choice to make.

When it comes to size of melee, that''s something that IS mentioned in the work order, and if it''s size and relation to the size of the center stone is not as specified, you have a point there. I''d measure everything once you receive the ring, get the specs of the other ring, and let him know IF he made a mistake.

I won''t turn this into another chapter of a novel, so I''ll just say that this has been a learning experience for many, and that you also learned a valuable lesson this time - unfortunately, you got it the hard way. But, there are so many awful things that can happen in life and (I know how this sounds) maybe it''s not such a disaster cause it involves just one ring. I know it seems like the biggest problem in the world to you right now, but believe me, it''s far from it. Hey, look at it this way - how ever it turns out to be, you''ll have one heck of a conversation piece whenever you get compliments for it (which I''m sure you will)
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Boom.

Sorry you have become so upset with your ring. I think this is a good place to express your concern over the look of your ring. However, I think you have jumped the gun because you have decided that all the supposed faults are in fact real. Leon is right--you haven''t seen the ring yet. Right now, this is the most important thing. I think Leon took the time to answer you and actually does like you. He is treating you as if you are a young girl and does understand that you are upset. Thats why he says he feels for your husband. He believes you.

Couldn''t you just wait until you see the ring. Your own state of mind can change your perception of it. And if Leon is right and it is beautiful? I''m hoping Leon keeps you as a customer. I think there is a chance it coud be perfect for you.

I think Leon showed some humility. He is not a genuis, he''s a jeweler. Don''t write anymore until you see it.

Umm..what planet are you reading from? Or are you Mr Mege, lurking..?
20.gif

Boom, I have no words. I already felt this way, but your thread has confirmed what I think about this guy. And I''m not allowed to post it.
I''m very sorry what you''ve been put through, and I sincerely hope the ring is ok when you receive it.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 4:23:45 AM
Author: arjunajane

Hi Boom.

Sorry you have become so upset with your ring. I think this is a good place to express your concern over the look of your ring. However, I think you have jumped the gun because you have decided that all the supposed faults are in fact real. Leon is right--you haven''t seen the ring yet. Right now, this is the most important thing. I think Leon took the time to answer you and actually does like you. He is treating you as if you are a young girl and does understand that you are upset. Thats why he says he feels for your husband. He believes you.

Couldn''t you just wait until you see the ring. Your own state of mind can change your perception of it. And if Leon is right and it is beautiful? I''m hoping Leon keeps you as a customer. I think there is a chance it coud be perfect for you.

I think Leon showed some humility. He is not a genuis, he''s a jeweler. Don''t write anymore until you see it.

Umm..what planet are you reading from? Or are you Mr Mege, lurking..?
20.gif

Boom, I have no words. I already felt this way, but your thread has confirmed what I think about this guy. And I''m not allowed to post it.
I''m very sorry what you''ve been put through, and I sincerely hope the ring is ok when you receive it.
DITTO!!!!
36.gif

Lori

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Mr. Mege''s unwillingness to work on the ring and his written response have made it very clear to me that this is not someone that I would ever want to hire to do jewelry work for me. I had heard that he was somewhat temperamental and could be rather gruff, all things I felt I could deal with. But the behavior documented in this thread is far and beyond those adjectives. Though I had thought about getting an LM ring at some point, I now know that I never will. Thank you Boom for sharing your experience with us, even though it has been a very painful one for you.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a bit off-topic but I realized it might have some bearing on this case. It seems to me that the *trend* lately is toward shorter "splits" in split-shanks. The James Meyers rings around here being an example of that. Also in jewelry ads I see & new pieces that show up on vendor sites. In retrospect it seems crystal clear that there are lots of different definitions of "split shank" and more discussion is needed to really hone in on the look the customer desires. One who was expecting the lesser, more trumpeted split would be quite disappointed by a "two band" look split. And the arc of the split is another subject for discussion. Curved or straight? Vaulted up towards a center stone or arched directly toward the stone along the trajectory of the band? So many different variations possible! Split shanks = slippery slope. **sigh**

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 12:12:09 PM
So many different variations possible! Split shanks = slippery slope. **sigh**

I agree. That's why I feel more comfortable working with jewelers who provide a wax or a CAD.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 1:40:55 PM
Author: pjean
Date: 9/26/2009 12:12:09 PM

So many different variations possible! Split shanks = slippery slope. **sigh**

I agree. That''s why I feel more comfortable working with jewelers who provide a wax or a CAD.

Ditto.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Boom - can you put a stop payment on the check?

I always been able to overlook Leon''s cocky attitude, but the last line in that e-mail really bothers me because it is a personal attack. I am sorry you are going through this. I showed the e-mail to my BF (who knows about Leon''s attitude) and he was upset too. He said he doesn''t mind the fact that he has opinions about his work that sometimes differ than the client, but that his statements were crossing the line.

My dream engagement ring is a Leon ring, while I have not taken it off the table (please don''t flame me, it is hard to let go of the ring I have wanted for over a year) I am going to start exploring alternatives.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
No I do not work for Leon nor do I come from another planet. It shows how we can interpret things differently and have different aims in what we say. Boom, Leon stated he liked you. I do think he was trying to insert a little humor while making his points to your complaints. I have learned about Leon from this board and all have said he is arrogant, so what did you all expect him to do. I see, he should have said , yes I will remake your ring, yes I will tweak it, all before Boom has seen it.
No, I can''t see it. People, she attacked him. He is defending himself. I''ll bet its more than he does for most by answering her-mail . I don''t want to upset her any more than you all have done already.

To call him the ring nazi, please. His work is in demand, he is sought after and so can pick & choose what work he wants.
He certainly could be more agreeable when dealing with peoples complaints, but the emotional outburst of a young woman encouraged by this group also leaves much to be desired.

Use him ,don''t use him. But don''t tell someone how awful their ring looks from a photo. You people wont even give an approximate value to a stone from a photo, but Leon M work you can judge from a photo.

His insults weren''t as bad as you think. . I am not sure, but I think English may not be his first language.

I doubt the ring will look good to you anymore Boom I am sorry for that, really. I tried to be more upbeat in my previous post so that maybe you could salvage something out of this. I don''t do group think.

Thanks,

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom, thank you so much for posting throughout this whole thread. I think it''s been incredibly helpful for those of us who want to continue on with any custom projects. That we explicitly state our desires, that we indicate what we absolutely do NOT want. I will be more likely to not say "Oh, just do whatever you want" unless I am 100% sure I don''t care what the outcome may be.

Here''s to hoping it''s a really stunning ring in person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results