shape
carat
color
clarity

WOOOHOOO!!! Fee for immigration paperwork SUSPENDED!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
The immigration paperwork which was going to cost us TONS of money is now FREE!!!!! Due to a court decision that found it to be unlawful to charge money for permission to marry involving non-UK citizens, we are going to save about £1500 because the fees have been suspended!!! Everyone we talked to was always horrified about how much it cost just to get a piece of paper (called the ''certificate of approval'') to say we''re allowed to register to marry because it was so hideously unfair and expensive, and it turns out someone took it to court and WON!!

I am just over the moon and wanted to share my happiness with you all! Now we can use that money for stuff like our honeymoon, flights to the US for our reception there, wedding bands, save-the-dates--YAY!!! So so so happy!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoaa, I can''t believe there is a charge for that! How appalling!! So awesome you don''t have to pay it anymore!!! Money leftover for nicer, more fun things!!! Yay!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!!!!

congrats!!! thats amazing!!!!

Woot!!!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am so so so so SOOOOOOOOO happy for your Gwendolyn! I know so many people who have gone through the stress of immigrating (mostly to the US) and I don''t wish that experience upon anyone! I''m so glad someone stood up for something unjust and won and you get to put that cash to something much more fun!
36.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
That''s fantastic! I can''t believe they were charging that in the first place and I''m glad they came to their senses and dropped the fee. Now you guys will have a little more cash to spend on your wedding
1.gif

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
Congrats~~
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Happy times for you and your FI!

On a total side note since your situation is a reverse of what I am talking about but...

It is not just a piece of paper though.

Not stating your situation at all but since your situation has come about on a thread I personally think everyone should pay a fee for the certificate. You (generally speaking) are entering a country that you were not born into and you want to come here for free?

I know I wouldn't get a easy free ride entering a non us country....

The US had done too much of Free and that is why we are in the state we are in today financially, terrorism wise, home and education wise, welfare is through the roof thanks to immigrants. Illegal immigrants who are here working in the local diner or on the farms around here taking that $ as little as it probably is away from US citizens. In the end there is nothing left for original working US citizens. This I have an issue with.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
What great news!! I can''t believe that charged so much to begin with, I mean, a nominal fee I could understand, but wow!! So happy for you both!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 3:28:24 PM
Author: Patchee
Congrats~~
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

On a total side note since your situation is a reverse of what I am talking about but...

Not stating your situation at all but since your situation has come about on a thread I personally think everyone should pay a fee for the certificate. You (generally speaking) are entering a country that you were not born into and you want to come here for free?

I know I wouldn't get a easy free ride entering a non us country....

The US had done too much of Free and that is why we are in the state we are in today financially, terrorism wise, home and education wise, welfare is through the roof thanks to immigrants. Illegal immigrants who are here working in the local diner or on the farms around here taking that $ as little as it probably is away from US citizens. In the end there is nothing left for original working US citizens. This I have an issue with.
A free ride? Um, no. The certificate of approval has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with permission to reside or work in a country. I paid lots of money for visas and my leave to remain which has granted me temporary legal residency here, and there will be more fees for my marriage visa. A certificate of approval literally is a piece of paper that says we're allowed to register to marry--that's it. Don't worry, the UK has made plenty of money off of me, and from what research I did when we were thinking of J joining me in the US, the states would make plenty of money from similar visa fees and such if we had chosen that as our home.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
AWESOME! More fun money!
9.gif
That will really come in handy. I can''t believe how much it would have cost you! That''s unreal! Just to get married to a non-UK citizen?

Patchee, think the forum you''re looking for is here: Around The World

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome, Gwen! That money could be so much better spent in other area! Yay!
36.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Holy moly!! That''s a lot of new fun money! Hurrayyyyy!!
36.gif
9.gif
36.gif
9.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Thank you thank you thank you, ladies! Am just chuffed to bits!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Eeeeeeeeeeeee! So happy!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY GWEN!!!!! What GREAT news!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

9.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Yay! now about that wedding band...hmmm, did you get one yet? How about 2?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news Gwen!!!!!!!!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats~~
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I know I wouldn''t get a easy free ride entering a non us country....

Um. She lives and works in England. This money would have been going to England. Not the United States.

I second the recommendation for ATW.

YAY again Gwen! This is just fabulous news, and I agree that paying that amount of money for permission to marry is goofy. I mean, REALLY?! Because you haven''t paid enough already...
38.gif

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATS Gwen!! This is wonderful news!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Hooray for you, Gwen!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Great news for you!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Aw Gwen that is great news. I agree that the fee would have been preposterous.

You already live here and contribute to our ecomony. Charging you £1500 just for a piece of paper that allows you to register for marriage is repulsive. So glad they have abolished it for now.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
yay!!! That''s great Gwen
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great news!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock

I know I wouldn''t get a easy free ride entering a non us country....

I just got my permanent residence on the USA and there was nothing free about that. It cost to my DH a lot of time and money
22.gif

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, Gwen!!! I know that was a huge source of financial stress for you two... I''m so happy you get to use the money for more awesome things now!!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
YAY!!! That''s amazing. I''ve slogged through immigration paperwork and fees coming into the US, so I have a vague idea of the extent of headache. I''m so glad this got changed!

You totally need to find the court document and send a thank you card to the people who took this to court, via their lawyer.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!! that''s awesome!!!!

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Gwendolyn! This is amazing news!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results