shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a quick vent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Am I being unreasonable?

FH and I both come from rather large families. When we got engaged we decided that we wanted a smallish wedding (<100 guests) and this would mean not inviting cousins and even sacrificing some old friends off the list, but we drew a line between the people we had to and wanted to invite and those that we would have like to but realistically it would become a logistical nightmare.

My mother announced that she would pay for everything and since price did not matter anymore that we should invite all of her extended family. [this will sound like my parents are separated but they are actually happily married and my dad is a very patient man] I of course reminded her that if we invite second cousins on her side (and her friends) then we''d have to do that on my dad''s side and both sides of FH''s family too. She couldn''t cope with this but we came to a compromise that we''d have a less formal cocktail engagement party with all the extended family, family friends, etc and then when it came to the wedding FH and I would be in complete control of the guest lists.

Our compromise isn''t working. My mother now wants complete control over the venue of the engagement party, the food, drinks, date, etc but she still wants me to plan it. She refuses to listen to what FH and I want and every time we explain what we would like she immediately changes the topic back to what she wants. We''ve offered to take over completely financially in order to have it our way (which isn''t extravagant but since we are only planning this party to accommodate her and wouldn''t otherwise include 50% of the guests it is an unwanted expense) but she is still incredibly vocal about what she thinks it should be like.
A few examples of what she wants:
*Location of the venue close to her home, I would prefer central to make it easier for guests and also closer to where FH and I live.
*Drink prices are of upmost important to her, she has this idea that because we are young everyone will binge drink and she will be left with the tab. She found a really grotty venue with incredibly cheap drinks. I don''t particularly want people getting ''plastered'' at our party and most of our friends/family don''t even drink more than a glass or two of wine. Besides that we have offered to pay for drinks but she can''t get her mind off this venue despite us both clearly telling her in no uncertain words that we hated it.
*Time frame. FH and I became engaged in July, we won''t have a ring until next month but would like to celebrate while the news is still ''news''. My mother wants to have the party in february or march next year as she doesn''t think there is enough time to organise it, it will be too close to christmas, people go away on holidays, etc, etc. I don''t see a point in having a party that late and realistically if we could just get moving there is plenty of time to organize a casual event for mid november but since we can''t agree on anything it is heading february way.

I don''t know what to do and am seriously at the end of my rope. FH called her today and tried to explain our perspective but she won''t budge on anything or even listen to what we want. I spent the afternoon in tears as we don''t want a day that is supposed to be about us to be about someone else and I have no idea how to move forward from where we are. I''m at the point where I want to forget it all and elope and this is before we''ve even touched wedding plans! She is so incredibly stubborn once she gets something like this in her head that I''m afraid that if we just do it our way completely out of our own pockets that she will take it as a personal insult and probably won''t attend. As much as this is stressing me out and making me angry I do very much want my mum to be a part of this.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
No you are not being unreasonable, your mum is!!

I''m sorry that she is acting like a mumzilla already but i really think that you need to put your foot down and tell her that you will be paying for the whole thing (and doing what you want to).

I mean, if she is like this over an e party, what on earth would she be like over the wedding??

Good luck!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
She is being unreasonable. Unfortunately, you can't make other people (especially mothers) act reasonable, so you just have to find a way to make it tolerable.

I would start by setting boundaries and also having clear division of control. If she wants to do a cocktail party for all her extended family, I would let her ON CONDITION THAT your wedding then becomes YOUR domain. Explain to her that she can have any party she wants, as long as she takes care of all the planning, pays for it, and all you have to do is show up. Let it be her baby. You can then focus on planning exactly the wedding you want, and if she tries to interfere, politely explain that you and your fiance are taking care of the details. She can't have both.

You can't please everyone, and maybe she will get upset. Tough luck to her. It's your wedding.

ETA: If it's causing so much stress, maybe it would be easier to scrap the party altogether and just let her invite the second cousins to the wedding? How many extra people would it be?

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
I think this is a good time to decide which battles you want to fight and leave the other issues alone.

Would you be ok just having your mom take the reins and do the e party for you, where all you would have to do is be guests? That is how I normally think of the parties before the wedding anyway, the wedding is the bride and grooms thing and all the surrounding festivities are thrown FOR the couple, not BY them. If so I would do as LilyCat suggested and let your mom throw you a party however she likes, and you can focus your energy on the wedding - making sure that is executed the way you want.

If the engagement party is whats more important for you maybe you can give your mom more control over the wedding. Or maybe you just need to throw your own party for your friends (and invite your parents if you like) then let your mom do the party for her family.

Good luck whatever you decide!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
November comes before February. If her ideas should objectionable to you, than plan your engagement party on your own for November. Then do the same for your wedding. Perhaps this is your first opportunity to present yourselves as ''your own family'' and also as a unified front. It can take parents a while to adjust to things like this, but adjust they will, over time.

Good luck, whatever you decide! And give your mom a hug! She loves you and means well!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some good ideas here. You and FH should talk. Decide what you are going to do. (have your own party and let her do hers, let her plan the party but stay OUT of the wedding planning, etc.)

And then TELL her. And stick to it.

If you let her tell you what to do for the party, she will think she can do the same thing for the wedding. It is YOUR wedding. It is for you and FH. Not her.

This may upset her but she''ll get over it. You are a grown up who is getting married. You are starting YOUR family. She can''t run it for you. Hopefully she''ll adjust (with time).

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
TIme to take back control, either nix the engagement party all together or inform her she''s not paying for it and do it your way. Once you''re paying for it, every time she makes a comment you can simply say "I/We appreciate your input and will take it into consideration." and then move forward planning it however you choose.

An aside, I would think anyone who is invited to an engagement party would assume they are being invited to the wedding, unless you were eloping and those plans were well known, so I''d make sure that your intentions are very clear in that regard so as to not end up with hurt feelings/upset.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results