shape
carat
color
clarity

Alterations question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VictoriaEremita

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies!

This is my first post in the BWW forum. My fiance proposed last June and we have set May 15, 2010 as our wedding date. I am so excited! For the last several months I am guilty of being a lurker, but since everyone seems so helpful and friendly I wanted to formally introduce myself.
1.gif

It feels like I have been doing a ton of research on everything wedding related; music, catering, decor, colors, photography, dresses, etc. The topic of "the dress" is what actually prompted this post. I''ve fallen hard for a dress that is unfortunately over my budget, but I recently located a sample that is discounted enough that I would be able to buy it.
The thing is.... the sample is a size 10 and I''m a 2. I''ve gotten mixed answers from different seamstresses about how far a dress can be sized down. Some say that it can''t and should not be done, others say it is a lot of work but it can be done. I really don''t know what to think. My sewing skills are very limited (I made a pillowcase once in middle school and even that was a wreck!) so I''m having a hard time grasping how to make the right call on this. Of course there is a part of me that really wants this to work out, because, hey, this is my dream dress. But, the other part, is very nervous about such a major alteration and I''m worried that I might be left with a disaster of a dress. I need advice!

I wanted to ask what you know or have heard about such alterations? How many sizes did you go up or down? What were your alterations experiences? How much did you pay for your alterations?

Also, I''m in the LA area and would be open to any seamstress or alteration recommendations that anyone care to throw my way.

Thanks SO much!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Victoria, welcome!

I know this isn''t much help but how much a wedding dress can be sized down depends on the gown. I''ve read that a gown can be sized down 2 to 3 sizes. I wouldn''t try to size down more than that because it might change the shape/design of the dress. And if the dress is really intricate, it''ll probably cost you a fortune.

I bought a sample size 10 and took it down about a size and a half without any problems. I used Lynda Valenti. She''s in North Hills and that can be a hike depending on where you live in L.A. Her number is 818-360-9943. She works out of her house and has a dedicated sewing studio in the back. She''s super nice, has a lot of experience with bridal alterations and is very reasonably priced. I called around L.A. and got quotes as high as $400. Bridal shops definitely charge a premium and some won''t do it for you if you don''t buy a dress from them. I think I paid $220 last month to have the sides taken in, the dress hemmed and bustled and to have the a partial cleaning. She turned my dress around in less than two weeks.

Good luck! Hope everything works out for you.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
A couple of thoughts...what does the dress look like? You can look through my dress threads that have been posted in the last month. My dress was ordered in a size 10 and right now I''m the exact size 2 measurements. It was a lot of work for them to take the dress in. 5 fitting appointments and a few moments of stress, my dress is perfect. To be honest though, my alterations including the cut to measure in total came to about $900, however, I did have them done at the salon. I think it will probably depend on what the dress looks like and how the seamstress will have to alter it. I don''t know anything about altering a dress so I put all my trust in the shop that they knew what they were doing and they totally cam through for me.

As far as suggestions for seamstress''s go, my best advice would be to ask the girls over at project wedding. Most of them are from that area and use a seamstress that has worked wonders however not being from that area myself I''ve never paid attention to her name.

Good luck!

VictoriaEremita

Rough_Rock
Hi Panda, thanks for the welcome!

It''s so funny/coincidental that you would mention Lynda Valenti, she was actually one of the seamstresses that I called! After talking to her on the phone and emailing her some pictures of the dress she seemed optimistic about it, but had some reservations without being able to see it in person. She also said it would be a lot of work and the alterations would obviously be more expensive than if it was a closer size, which is understandable. She was very nice and patient over the phone, but it''s always nice to hear from someone who has seen her work directly. It can be very nerve wracking to hand over your dress, or maybe I am just paranoid.
3.gif
I''m am so glad to hear that you had a good experience and were happy with your dress.
So, thanks again for the suggestion and help!

VictoriaEremita

Rough_Rock
Emerald, thanks so much for sharing your experience with your dress. It makes me feel better to know someone else did something similar and it turned out to be a success!
The dress I''m looking at has a lot of embroidery and from what I understand cannot be hemmed from the bottom (where the embroidery is), it also has a sheer back made from tulle which seems, at least to me, tricky to alter. Like you, I know nothing about sewing and I just want sure I don''t get someone who thinks they can do a project like this when in reality it wasn''t a good idea to begin with. I think if I am able to find a reliable, honest seamstress I should be able to make the right decision on this. Thanks for the suggestion to check out project wedding, I am certainly going to do that! I appreciate the suggestion and the help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results