shape
carat
color
clarity

District 9

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so excited because this was shot in my city!
Who has seen it? What did you think?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter and I saw it last week and absolutely loved it. It is different and might not be what you are expecting. We would like to see it again.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a great social commentary. I think it''s really clever, but apparently a few people didn''t get it.
I''m very proud of the director and cast though.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hey kribbie

DH and I watched the movie last night and thought it was brilliant. I thought it was extremely clever and really well done, it dealt brilliantly with the analogy.

It was a quick 2 hours.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/6/2009 12:09:58 PM
Author: kribbie
It''s a great social commentary. I think it''s really clever, but apparently a few people didn''t get it.
I didn''t want to spoil anything at all, but yes, this is true. After we watched the movie, my daughter (22) and I wondered why people wouldn''t get it or understand. We immediately caught on to real life parallels, and still enjoyed it immensely. We were very moved. I was shocked to learn it was filmed without a script for the most part. I put this one as one of the best movies I have seen this year, but I know others might disagree. It had depth beyond the entertainment value.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We saw it right after it came out. My husband loved it so much, he saw it two times.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the movie. Unfortunately, I watched it the day before I watched ''Inglorious Basterds'', so it probably didnt get as much attention from me as it should have. I was amazed by Sharlto Copley''s acting - it was fantastic beyond doubt. I hope he gets a nimonation for his role.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Brilliant--saw it twice :)

Date: 9/6/2009 1:30:02 PM
Author: lyra
It had depth beyond the entertainment value.
Very much so--provocative on many levels.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVED it... definitely not what I expected, however, I am not fully sure what I expected to begin with! haha... but a great movie! And I watched a documentary on it and they are approved for 2 more movies!

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Saw it the day it came out. I absolutely loved it. Brilliant movie.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
loved it, just a bit too gory for me
emembarrassed.gif

db

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Mr.L and I saw it when it very first came out and we loved it. It was a great "action" movie, but we also really appreciated all the underlying social commentary.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We saw it at the drive-in and absolutely loved it. It was not what we expected at all.

Did anyone else feel sad at the end of the movie though?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/6/2009 7:56:30 PM
Author: fiery

Very.
8.gif
We were willing to accept the end as the end, but secretly hoped for a sequel. But it could just stay the way it is too, sometimes sequels water things down too much.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2009 8:11:07 PM

Date: 9/6/2009 7:56:30 PM
Author: fiery

Very.
8.gif
We were willing to accept the end as the end, but secretly hoped for a sequel. But it could just stay the way it is too, sometimes sequels water things down too much.
I think the film was really well done and well acted and not what I was expecting. I did like the movie and got what it was trying to say, I just came out of it feeling really depressed and sad about the things they were obviously drawing parallels to. I don''t think I''d want to see it again, it hit a cord with me but I just find the movie too upsetting.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
We just watched it... It was really good! It definitely speaks to humanity and human nature. The end was very touching.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed it! There were a few plot holes here and there I thought, but I tend to overanalyze movies, haha. I''m really glad they didn''t try to explain everything with pseudo science like they do in a lot of other movies where there is alien contact, I always find those bad explanations distracting.

The ending was sad, but touching.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so far out of the loop I''m floating out in space. I''ve never even heard of it. Mayhaps I should step away from the computer a while and catch up on the world.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of people think it only relates to apartheid, but I see holocaust imagery, the illegal alien situation in the USA, human injustice in general...

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Two thumbs up from my boys, who are very into sci fi horror movies, especially with a "raw" type feel to them(Cloverfield, Blair Witch). I did close my eyes for the fingernail part. I''m wimpy when it comes to that stuff.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It was a great movie, but way too much stimuli for me. I found myself zoning out because of the constant assault on my senses.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2009 3:46:45 PM
Author: makemepretty
Two thumbs up from my boys, who are very into sci fi horror movies, especially with a ''raw'' type feel to them(Cloverfield, Blair Witch). I did close my eyes for the fingernail part. I''m wimpy when it comes to that stuff.

Eew... Yeah. The transformation stuff was pretty gross.
14.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
loved it.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was good too, however I felt sick through most of it. I''m very sensitive to motion sickness and the blood and gore was a bit much for me. I even broke into tears at one point. It''s quite a stirring movie and it was a little hard to watch.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Great movie, and I definitely saw the relation to any number of injustices, not just apartheid. Definitely a bit gory for me though, I had a hard time with it in places.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...sounds like I need to go see this movie.

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2009 1:30:02 PM
Date: 9/6/2009 12:09:58 PM

Author: kribbie

I didn''t want to spoil anything at all, but yes, this is true. After we watched the movie, my daughter (22) and I wondered why people wouldn''t get it or understand. We immediately caught on to real life parallels, and still enjoyed it immensely. We were very moved. I was shocked to learn it was filmed without a script for the most part. I put this one as one of the best movies I have seen this year, but I know others might disagree. It had depth beyond the entertainment value.

I agree with you totally! I absolutely loved the story and that it had real life parallels that went beyond entertainment. It had just the right amount of "documentary" perspective, with the perfect touch of action to balance it out. I was deeply moved at how (without saying too much) the main character made a turn from being selfish, to relating to the "foreigners", and formed a bond with the head foreigner.

I am without a doubt looking forward to District 10 or 11, or whatever they will name the sequel. DH and I are not easy movie critics, and we both left the theater discussing the movie all the way home, and in bed!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great movie: lots to think about politically.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results