shape
carat
color
clarity

Australian wanting advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chonnies

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone :) this is my first post, i have been lurking for about a year now :)
We are finally looking at buying our engagement ring. We have looked at some B&M stores and the quality diamonds are not very good. We live in Adelaide Australia. I know there are some extremely knowledgeable people on here, including some fellow Aussies. Our budget is AUD $10000 (diamond and setting) and want the best value for money. The general specs I am after are:
Colour- G
Clarity- SI2 (eyeclean)
Carat - 1.2 (approx)
Cut - ideal (very important)
I am wondering if I should continue looking locally (ie Jogia, B&M stores) or look overseas ie GOG and WF.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I''m a kiwi so I know how poor the quality of most of the B&M store diamonds are in Australia and NZ and how over priced they are also.

If I had that much money to spend on an engagment ring I''d first find a local jewler I trusted and get a quote I was happy with for the type of setting I wanted. Then, I would take what money I''d have left from that budget and find an amazingly cut stone from a reputable pricescope online vendor (including the import tax/duty etc and the postage costs in the price of the stone).

This way you still support the local economy, you have somewhere to take the ring back to for checks and cleaning etc but you get a much bigger and better stone for much less then you could in AUS. Also, In NZ the import tax/duty on a diamond is much much lower then the cost of importing a finnished peice of jewlery so if that is the same case with AUS you''ll be saving youself that extra money.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I would look at both and see what stone you like and what setting you want. I found in Australia, the setting choice is very limited compared to the on-line pricescope vendors - so that might also sway into your decision, depending on what you want.

I have used WF, Facets collection and am about to get a piece by BGD - so no worries getting things from the US, return policies are great and fed ex delivers the goods with the vendors insurance.

Local jewellers are not generally as good, and the ones that have ideal cut etc cost way too much. I havnt used Joggia myself, but their on-line stock look good, but their settings didnt have the one I was after, I am getting a custom setting for the same price as a finished australian setting.

good luck, show us what you end up getting, always great to see some more australians on here.
db

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I have bought from Jogia before and their diamonds are fantastic! But i do agree, US settings are much better and there are more styles to choose from. I think that even if you get something from the US, even with duty, you will still get a better deal.

Good luck!

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with 4ever and others, I would definitely be buying my stone with one of the online vendors such as WF or BGD etc. You will get so much better value for money. Setting wise, I would find something you love on Pricescope and see about getting it reproduced, or find a local jeweller who makes beautiful pieces. There are a few there, Burnside Village used to have a lovely jewellery store, but you''d have to make sure they are happy to set someone else''s diamond. Good luck!

chonnies

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help.
I am really nervous about this whole process, it''s really good to hear from fellow Aussies :)

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am an Aussie who bought from the US. Don''t stress at all, you are in good hands here!

Our dollar is getting better (85 US cents today), so I would give Brian and Lesley at Brian Gavin Diamonds a call, or Debi at Whiteflash. They should help you get a stunning ring.

Don''t forget to allow roughly 15% for import duties and GST etc. If you search through my posts back to around February 2008, you will find some posts I wrote detailing exactly what I had to pay to get my ering into the country.

Good luck!!!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, chronnie!

I live in Melbourne so I understand what you mean about the lack of good jewellers in Australia!

You have a nice, healthy budget and could most probably get your target specs for that budget locally, but I think you would get a better cut stone online. I agree with the other posters about looking to reproduce a setting locally if you can find a jeweller who can do this. I have had a very hard time finding a jeweller who will do custom work in Melbourne so I''ve had to get my pieces done overseas.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2009 10:31:39 PM
Author: honey22
I am an Aussie who bought from the US. Don''t stress at all, you are in good hands here!

Our dollar is getting better (85 US cents today), so I would give Brian and Lesley at Brian Gavin Diamonds a call, or Debi at Whiteflash. They should help you get a stunning ring.

Don''t forget to allow roughly 15% for import duties and GST etc. If you search through my posts back to around February 2008, you will find some posts I wrote detailing exactly what I had to pay to get my ering into the country.

Good luck!!!
duty" href="https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/importing-tax.82821/" target="_blank">
Good thread for aussies about import tax/duty

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
No need to worry if you use the major pricescope vendors and ensure that your purchase has a good return policy and insurance coverage if you need to ship it back for whatever reason (which you will have with the main vendors here mentioned by us aussies)

I was the MOST novice internet purchaser ever and had never made a single purchase on the internet apart from some books from amazon. so I was very hesitant and nervouse about my first ever purchase for such a large amount on the net, sight unseen, let alone convincing my husband that this was the way to go - well having worked with WF, Facets collection and now BGD, I am seriously converted. I can get sooooo much better for my dollar in settings and cut quality - we are now in the process of doing a 1 carat upgrade of my center stone and getting a new setting.

Go over all the old threads for the vendors you are interested in and the stones/settings you like, read heaps and I am sure you will find it is very worthwhile and an easy process.

enjoy and show us the pictures, it is great to see other aussies on here.
db

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Hi chonnies and welcome to pricescope!

I would also recommend checking out diamonds at Melbourne Diamond Exchange (MDX). They are based in Melbourne but the whole purchase can be done online. And their consultants fly out to different states every fortnight too. They have beautiful diamonds, but IMO their settings are not totally up to scratch. Another point is to make sure your diamond is upgradable before you purchase (if you`re getting an RB, there shouldn''t be any problems).

After a lot of research and discussions with my DH, we decided to go with MDX. We originally wanted to go with Whiteflash, but it was much cheaper for us to go with a local company plus we liked the fact that if we have any problems, we can just ship the ring to Melbourne, rather than to US.

Smo

Shiny_Rock
If you want setting inspirations I recommend checking out Fairfax and Roberts (based in Sydney). I think some of their creations would give many of the high end US designers a run for their money. They are stunning but beyond expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results