shape
carat
color
clarity

*excited* had to share...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
FI & i have been engaged about a week. we had decided not to discuss wedding dates until one of us found a job (both just finished grad degrees, searching for jobs); then last night i asked how long he thought we should be engaged. he said 6 months to a year. i replied that early spring seemed too soon. so, we decided on a FALL 2010 wedding!!!! sorry, i''m excited! don''t know exactly when yet--probably late sept or oct.

so....what do i do next? hammer down a date? start on the guest list?? i really have NO clue!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i would make a tentative date, but start looking for your venue!!!! that could easily determine your date!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
thanks, well we know the church but no clue on the reception site! it''s in a very small town (where i grew up) and most people their reception at the parish center hall. it looks like a gymnasium--i do not want to go with that option. but need to figure out where else someone can have a reception in this town! but good point, need to figure that stuff out.

any small town gals w/any ideas?

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
any old victorian houses that let you rent them out for receptions? i used to live in a small town and people would rent out the houses and put up a tent in the yard!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! I agree with Coco, start looking for your venue first, as that may very likely determine your date! Places where we looked filled up 12 months or more in advance, so that very quickly determined the month we would be looking at. I just love Fall weddings!

ETA: I like the idea of old houses with outdoor tents... what about neighboring towns that would be close by? Any pretty libraries? A lot of libraries near us have beautiful rooms they rent out for wedding receptions.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm, great idea. but i don''t have any clue. i was thinking about calling the chamber of commerce/visitor''s bureau for some ideas. i will def ask about that. it''s a southern fall wedding, so i think a tent would be okay. especially if we went w/sept.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
oh yeah def!! what state are you getting married in?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Look at the knot, Project Wedding, and Wedding Wire for local reception venues. And you'll want to book sooner rather than later. Fall is quite a popular season, so things could be filling up!

Also put together a tentative guest list, because that might limit or expand your options. You'll also need a budget to get started on all of this too.
21.gif

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
kentucky...and no nice libraries. there is a larger town about 30 minutes away w/nice hotels, restaurants, etc. but i feel like that''s too far to drive between wedding & reception.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!!! I''d look into venues first before settling on a date. Sometimes, the venue availability can determine your date. Fall is popular, so places will be filling up soon.
Good luck, and happy planning!

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm.... you have a long time to play with so it''s up to you!
1.gif
if you''re like me, i enjoyed the long planning process!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 5:40:21 PM
Author: lulu66
kentucky...and no nice libraries. there is a larger town about 30 minutes away w/nice hotels, restaurants, etc. but i feel like that''s too far to drive between wedding & reception.

Congrats on your engagement!

I do not know much about Kentucky landmarks, but I just wanted to recommend our reception photographer and link you to his blog. He is based in Berea, but shoots around Kentucky, so he might have some inspirations for you re: locations. Many seem to be at old estates and outdoors. Our reception is in Cincinnati and there are tons of great venues there or in Newport, if you are close.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
unfortunately on the western end of kentucky, with no big cities near us
7.gif

thanks for the photog rec, his site looks awesome. well, the search is on. i have my sisters & best friend searching the internet. i will be in the town where we are getting married at the end of october and will do some preliminary searching then!

daught3rofEve

Rough_Rock
Have you tried the caves in your area? Kentucky has some GORGEOUS caverns.... and they should allow you to have a reception inside them. I know they do here in Texas. :) They''d be well lit, most of them, anyway, and it would definately be a different experiance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results