shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom as an engagement ring????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sam J

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

So I'm new to this site, but I really need some advice regarding an engagement ring for my proposal to my girlfriend. I inherited a ring from my great grandfather with two diamonds on it with one meant for me and one meant for my brother. I recently got one of the diamonds pulled from the ring to get it appraised.

It's 0.7 karats, it's an older cut (early 20th century) but still sparkles very nicely. I think it's very pretty (you can obviously tell I'm a novice when it comes to diamonds but oh well).

So here's my question: should I use this stone for an engagement ring? I think it's pretty romantic and think that my girl would like the idea but I'm not sure if I should look into buying a slightly larger stone. The only thing is that I'm a graduate student right now and don't have a ton of money at this point in my life. I mainly want to know a women's perspective on being proposed to with an heirloom ring.

Thanks sooooo much for any feedback!!!!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i am using an heirloom piece, so i might be a bit biased here.

i think its a LOVELY idea, however get it appraised first.

if you are concerned about her not liking the ring, buy a simple setting and let her know that you want to pick out the setting with her.

congrats!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's an absolutely lovely idea! Do you have any pics of the stone that you can post here? Any photos of the ring before the stone was removed? The stone is likely an Old European Cut aka OEC. If you search OEC on here, you will find that there is quite the following here for OECs.

Since you are using an heirloom stone, you might look into having it set into a vintage setting or a vintage-style setting. Singlestone comes highly recommended on here, and there are many others too! If you are concerned about the size of the stone, you might consider a very delicate halo around the stone.

Good luck with your proposal and please post photos if you can!!

ETA: And, if you do post photos, you might post in Rocky Talk as you will likely get more responses there, if you're interested in feedback on the stone and setting ideas.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s very sweet and I''m sure your girlfriend will love it!
1.gif

MisterG

Rough_Rock
Heirloom rings are very special. I think it''s a great idea... something I''m thinking about doing myself.

Since you just have the diamond, go for a platinum setting... my jeweler tells me it''s the most durable and it holds diamonds more securely so it will definitely protect it best and the ring will last forever... so it can someday be an heirloom in itself.

Congrats!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the engagement isn''t a complete surprise-just ask her! Most women would think it''s a lovely sentiment but there are a few who would prefer something of their own...so if you can it''s best to ask.

You could also split the difference and propose with just the diamond in a temp setting and let her choose her own permanent setting! That way you can use the stone but she can choose exactly what kind of setting she wants for it.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 5:44:33 PM
Author: neatfreak
If the engagement isn''t a complete surprise-just ask her! Most women would think it''s a lovely sentiment but there are a few who would prefer something of their own...so if you can it''s best to ask.

You could also split the difference and propose with just the diamond in a temp setting and let her choose her own permanent setting! That way you can use the stone but she can choose exactly what kind of setting she wants for it.

+1

Personally, I''d love an heirloom for a ring, but I have taste that runs towards the vintage stones and stylings.

And, if she decides she would prefer a different diamond for her ring, you could have the heirloom set in a pendant for a wedding gift.

Sam J

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all of the info everyone!! I really appreciate it and am very excited to propose to my girlfriend on Orcas Island in the Peuget Sound in Washington. This forum has been ssoooo helpful. Thanks again.

Sam

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Very nice, Sam!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Orcas Island!

I''m from B.C., but have spent many a summer on Orcas, and the surrounding San Juan islands....such a gorgeous spot...

What a special place to propose to the love of your life!

(Have you booked in for the night at one of the hotels? Maybe Rosario Resort or the Orcas Island Hotel?
9.gif
)

Come back and tell us how it goes, please!
36.gif

~Allyson

agirlcalledchuck

Rough_Rock
i think having an heirloom is an amazing, wonderful thing! just knowing that you have something that has been a witness to years and years of life and love is incredible! I say DO IT!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Sam -

on orcas island, there''s a tiny chapel, called the victorian chapel. it''s always open, and is set in the middle of a quiet field. if i were to marry again, that''s where i''d go. it''s beautiful and special and as romantic as anything i''ve seen. it''s deserted every day except sunday. it would be an amazing place to go ''take a look at'' and then to pull out a ring unexpectedly....

take her for a touristy type look around, wander in, walk down the front with her - ''just to have a look'' - then do the whole ''i can imagine standing here with you one day''...thing.

magic :)

have a look at the ''gallery'' section here...

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results