shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Choose - GOG Chunky Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 3:05:57 PM
Author: Ellen
dt, here''s an important question. What does your girl consider ''lower'' color and clarity? I''m just thinking back to what she said....

As you know, this whole thing is a secret that she has no idea about and thinks is atleast a year away. We''ve only been shopping once and that was "just to get an idea." All of the information I''ve received is by prodding her here and there about stuff. Regarding color, she stated that color and clarity were more important to her than size. She would sacrifice size for a clearer diamond I guess you could say. So to answer your question, she hasn''t really said a specific color grade. The reason I''m undecided between the two stones is because the color difference in the pictures seems negligible to me. The larger one has a greater surface area but it also has a larger culet. Will I notice the culet? I don''t know. That''s why I can''t wait to see the video ...

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m anxious to see it too! I think the other poster who had seen it in person said the kozibe effect was fairly pronounced IRL, though. That''s something only Jon can answer. As for color, I''d ask Jon about that - it sounds like this stone, regardless of it''s GIA grade, imparts a warmer tone IRL, which can''t be seen on the videos realistically IMO - white paper, baby! And if she is color sensitive, she may see that tone, esp since it will be set in a white metal, kwim?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 3:36:24 PM
Author: diamondtiger

Date: 7/30/2009 3:05:57 PM
dt, here's an important question. What does your girl consider 'lower' color and clarity? I'm just thinking back to what she said....

As you know, this whole thing is a secret that she has no idea about and thinks is atleast a year away. We've only been shopping once and that was 'just to get an idea.' All of the information I've received is by prodding her here and there about stuff. Regarding color, she stated that color and clarity were more important to her than size. She would sacrifice size for a clearer diamond I guess you could say. So to answer your question, she hasn't really said a specific color grade. The reason I'm undecided between the two stones is because the color difference in the pictures seems negligible to me. The larger one has a greater surface area but it also has a larger culet. Will I notice the culet? I don't know. That's why I can't wait to see the video ...
I actually knew all this, it was more to make a small point.
2.gif

I would imagine that she has a limit on what "she" thinks is acceptable in the clarity/color range. And I would just venture a guess that G VS2 is probably at the bottom limit of that. It is a "mind clean thing". I doubt she's ever seen really well cut lower color and clarity stones, to know that isn't true. However, she has said, lower color and clarity are "cheap' to her (and that she'd rather have smaller size/better color and clarity). That tells me, I'd stick with the G VS2.
2.gif

Just wanted to point this out, because the little bit of size (and in a ring, alone, it IS a little bit) is not worth her not feeling good about her stone. Just my humble opinion. I'll shut up now.
5.gif

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 3:10:52 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover
Jon is a wiz with videos this will be a fun comparison. Maybe if he could put a white piece of paper behind them and show you a body shot you could see the difference in color.

Already in the side by side shot you notice the size difference and the more symmetrical nature of the H.

Good-Luck,

CCL

He is going to do the white sheet comparison.

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
I would imagine that she has a limit on what ''she'' thinks is acceptable in the clarity/color range. And I would just venture a guess that G VS2 is probably at the bottom limit of that. It is a ''mind clean thing''. I doubt she''s ever seen really well cut lower color and clarity stones, to know that isn''t true.
You''re probably right.

However, she has said, lower color and clarity are ''cheap'' to her (and that she''d rather have smaller size/better color and clarity). That tells me, I''d stick with the G VS2.
2.gif
That''s my thought too. The only reason I even question it is because it''s hard to tell the difference in the pictures and the ASET and DiamXray images look better to me in the 1.15. Please correct me if I am wrong in saying this because I am no expert by any means.

Just wanted to point this out, because the little bit of size (and in a ring, alone, it IS a little bit) is not worth her not feeling good about her stone. Just my humble opinion. I''ll shut up now.
5.gif

So you think the size difference isn''t too noticeable? And please don''t shut up - I really value your opinion!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:38:16 PM

I would imagine that she has a limit on what ''she'' thinks is acceptable in the clarity/color range. And I would just venture a guess that G VS2 is probably at the bottom limit of that. It is a ''mind clean thing''. I doubt she''s ever seen really well cut lower color and clarity stones, to know that isn''t true.
You''re probably right.

However, she has said, lower color and clarity are ''cheap'' to her (and that she''d rather have smaller size/better color and clarity). That tells me, I''d stick with the G VS2.
2.gif
That''s my thought too. The only reason I even question it is because it''s hard to tell the difference in the pictures and the ASET and DiamXray images look better to me in the 1.15. Please correct me if I am wrong in saying this because I am no expert by any means.

Just wanted to point this out, because the little bit of size (and in a ring, alone, it IS a little bit) is not worth her not feeling good about her stone. Just my humble opinion. I''ll shut up now.
5.gif

So you think the size difference isn''t too noticeable? And please don''t shut up - I really value your opinion!
lol Thank you!
9.gif

Ok, here''s what I think. If you just gave her the H, and it was absolutely eyeclean from any angle and distance, AND, she didn''t know the color and clarity, she might just love it to bits. However, IF she asked about the color and clarity, and you tell her, it may "ruin" it for her, in her mind. (because she thinks higher color and clarity are what make a better diamond) Even though she loved it before, she might think less of it, because while H isn''t that low, it''s not DEF(G). But SI1 is not high clarity, no way around that one. See what I''m saying?

As far as size, no, this is not a tremendous difference once it''s in the setting, on a tiny finger. Not enough to jeapordize her not loving the stone.

I just think her Ering shouldn''t be a "teachable" moment. Like I said earlier, after the Ering, educate her on diamonds, and she may change her mind (or not).
2.gif

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
I keep checking for the video ha ha ...

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I love the H, but understand this is coming from someone who prefers antique cushions to more modern copies of antique cushions...ie. the more it looks like the real deal (generally large culet) the more I
30.gif
it.

that''s bias baby
9.gif

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
I can''t wait for the video!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey dt,

I managed to shoot the clip today but even as I was shooting clients kept coming to the counter not giving me any time to sit and edit to publish. In the clip I included both diamonds plus two other E VS2 chunky faceted cushions I have here from another supplier to show you a comparison in optics between ours and some of the better ones we see on the market (for educational purposes). Then I took the 2 and put them face up and face down against flat white. I''ll have it published for ya in the mornin on both my Vimeo and YouTube channels. Sorry I couldn''t break away to get it done tonight and thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are both lovely, so luckily if she wants a chunky cushion I don''t think you can go wrong. I would personally go with the 1.15 because it is bigger and I don''t mind the color/clarity and there isn''t a huge difference so far in performance (but I''d love to see the video). Since she is a color/clarity sensitive girl than the 1.07 might be the one.

What is the price difference between the two? Is that a factor at all?

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 11:24:14 PM
Author: Rhino
Hey dt,

I managed to shoot the clip today but even as I was shooting clients kept coming to the counter not giving me any time to sit and edit to publish. In the clip I included both diamonds plus two other E VS2 chunky faceted cushions I have here from another supplier to show you a comparison in optics between ours and some of the better ones we see on the market (for educational purposes). Then I took the 2 and put them face up and face down against flat white. I''ll have it published for ya in the mornin on both my Vimeo and YouTube channels. Sorry I couldn''t break away to get it done tonight and thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,

No problem. I appreciate your help!

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 11:42:08 PM
Author: kcoursolle
What is the price difference between the two? Is that a factor at all?

Oddly enough, the 1.07 is $1k more expensive.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 7:24:43 AM

Oddly enough, the 1.07 is $1k more expensive.
Not odd, the 1.07 is one color and clarity grade higher.
28.gif

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Oh I know. I guess I just figured that the size would negate some of that - $1000 is a big difference (20% of the 1.15''s price)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 8:11:41 AM
Oh I know. I guess I just figured that the size would negate some of that - $1000 is a big difference (20% of the 1.15''s price)
Nope.
11.gif

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
BTW ... My work won''t allow us to view videos at work so I''m going to have to go watch it during lunch. I''m assuming from Jon''s earlier post that it should be up by then ...

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the link. I can''t watch videos at work so please let me know what you think ...

The Video

Thanks Jon!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Have watched the video, it''s still the H for me.

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 2:48:36 PM
Author: chamois

Why do you choose the H? Like I said, I can''t watch the video here at work so it will be a little before I get a chance to view it myself. Thanks and I appreciate the response ...

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look great - sorry!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
They both have the sparkle and fire, however I''m drawn to the H because of the shape, it''s more square and looks slightly larger/fatter than the G.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 2:55:48 PM

Why do you choose the H? Like I said, I can''t watch the video here at work so it will be a little before I get a chance to view it myself. Thanks and I appreciate the response ...
The video on vimeo posted an hour ago does not have the colour comparison.
Respectfully I think both will go great and you are are really worried about small differences.
Keep in mind the videos are magnified substantially and you won''t see as big differences in real life.
But I still repeat it would be benefical to go to GOG and take out a tacori with G halo melee and hold up both stones to it to see if you like the color difference or if you see any at all.
You could probably just ask Jonathan or Sarah to do this for you and trust what they say as they are pretty honest straight shooters.

Regards,
CCL

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 3:11:47 PM
Date: 7/31/2009 2:55:48 PM

Respectfully I think both will go great and you are are really worried about small differences.

Keep in mind the videos are magnified substantially and you won''t see as big differences in real life.

But I still repeat it would be benefical to go to GOG and take out a tacori with G halo melee and hold up both stones to it to see if you like the color difference or if you see any at all.

You could probably just ask Jonathan or Sarah to do this for you and trust what they say as they are pretty honest straight shooters.

Regards,

CCL

I would love to go visit and trust me, that would be the easiest thing ... But I live in SC and I need to make my decision ASAP (possibly even today). Aaaaaahhhh!

melz

Shiny_Rock
I like that H in the video better as well, for the reason the prior poster said - the shape is more appealing, it looks more "pillow-ish." Since you''ve already shown your girlfriend one video, why not show her this one too? You can tell her you are trying to get an idea of colors and shapes and what to look for. She doesn''t need to know these are the two under consideration, especially as there are 4 there.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
From the pictures I preferred the H but after seeing the video I realize that since you will be setting the diamond in a halo the G would be just as nice, especially since it would make your GF feel better about her ering. I doubt you would be able to tell the two apart once set (I have a cushion shape tacori halo but had a round ACA in it). I actually prefer the ''skinnier'' shape of it, it looks a lot like mine :)

I agree with the poster that said to show her the video! Just say ''these are new cushions that are being cut to ideal proportions, see, you can hardly notice the color difference between the G and H'' and gauge her reaction. I would also ask her which she likes the best.

Sorry if my post doesn''t make sense, I''m going out of my mind waiting for my GOG chunky to arrive today!

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 3:11:47 PM

Jonathan said it should be up there now

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn''t seem to be there yet. I''ll keep checking...

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
They''re both gorgeous but I agree I like the H better--the shape is lovely and it does seem noticeably larger. Can''t go wrong here though!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know which one I think you should get, regardless of anything else. And it wouldn''t matter if the H had blown the G away, I''d still say get the G. However, having said that, and having watched a lot of these, and being the somewhat anal person I am (
5.gif
), I would still pick the G as far as performance is concerned. To me, it has a very slight edge in scintillation, fire, and brightness. No, it''s not very noticeable, and alone, no one would know the difference. Those are my honest thoughts (I''m not just saying that!).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results