shape
carat
color
clarity

Need setting ideas for morganite ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blue Eyes

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for setting ideas for several stones .. one of which is this beautiful morganite. I like some of the Lege styles, but I would love to hear some feedback on other designers whose work would properly trumpet the beauty of this fabulous stone !

Morganite.JPG

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!

That is a gorgeous Morganite, Blue Eyes.

However, are you sure you want it in a ring? Morganite is a notoriously easy to chip stone. If I were to set it in a ring, I'd probably put it in a bezel.

It might be safer, as a pendant.

win

Blue Eyes

Shiny_Rock
Good point on the chip-ability ! I'm a personal trainer who will not hide the jewels in the safe ... I wear even the good stuff to the gym. Here's another stone ... what do you think? I am definitely going to have a ring made, but I want to make a good stone choice. And, I meant to type Mege in the earlier post.
rolleyes.gif

Salmontourmaline.JPG

Blue Eyes

Shiny_Rock
One more ...tee hee .. i love jewels !!!
naughty.gif

Rhombictourmaline.JPG

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Another beauty, and though harder than the morganite, still not a great ring candidate, especially with the points exposed.

You might want to consider a pink orange sapphire instead for a ring, or, perhaps, an oval stone?

win

Blue Eyes

Shiny_Rock
This one is a little out of my price range, but it's a wonderful stone. I love it !
love.gif
I have ten or so colored stones (several of which are posted above ) to pick from with a shipping of loose rubellite due to arrive next week from the cutter.

Golden Sapphire.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About Morganite... this is Beryl- so it is surely durable enough for a ring unless you want it for wrestling. The initial stone looks fine to me in every way: esp. the color - it rarely gets better than this. Morganite has ne excuse for inclusions: it should be eye clean and that gem is. I assume that the cut is already something you like, so no comment. All, in all a greta decision.

Tourmaline? colors would be deeper which make the (very) small advantage in reflectiveness dissapear. Sometimes these light pink is available in tourmaline, but that is not considered a top color and is rare too. Tourmaline is slightly less durable than beryl*.

Does morganite compare with sapphire? In theory no, in practice... top pink sapphire is almost never available in the sizes & clarity that are common for pink beryl: if you are lucky to put a 6cts pink sapphire with simmilar cut (?!) next to that baby, you will see that the beryl is not as reflective. The deifference in hardness is only important if you want to use the piece of jewelry at all times. Thumbs up for Morganite!

Conclusion? You have chosen a unique piece: there will probably no other choices of pink beryl in taht cut. As for design... for a custom cut gem you would need a custom seting, I am happy to say
1.gif
So you will have to go through the paces with the maker of the ring to establish the details. I would consider one constraint: protect those pointy corners, and the rest will be just fine. If you post the link to settings you like, maybe we could come up with some nice variations, if the web has them
2.gif

PS: * tourmaline is slightly less enduring to scratching (7-7.5 Mohs vs. 7.5 for beryl), and both materials are NOT prone to chipping (Tourmaline has no cleavage, morganite has imperfect cleavage). Both have great talent for being jewelry material.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelry makers.... If I didn't have someone to make my jewelry, this is where I'd start looking:

jewelryexpert
theclamshell
(Paul Gross) designergoldjewelry
(Richard Devine) paradisecityarts

It really depends on what YOU are looking for. The first is a mainstream maker, the others reflect a certain style but all work rutinely with one of a kind cut gems. Hope this little list helps (the last two web addresses also contain links to more jewelry studios). And any Qs even vaguely related to colored gems are very welcome down here!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
AnA

I'd normally agree with you about the toughness of the stones, however bear in mind that Blue Eyes said she would be wearing them to her gym, where she's a physical trainer.

I generally take off my diamonds and my sapphire and put them in my pockets when working out. I have one tension set Cz that I will wear when working out, and I can hear it cling and clang against the machinery as I go from station to station.

I was just cautioning BlueEyes about doing the same, especially with stones with corners.

I tend to worry overmuch perhaps.

win

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Win,

you are surely right to point out this. I could not agree more that there are certain types of wear that jewelry is simply not suitable for. No idea about gym though... or whatever a personal trainer may be doing to rings. One particular ring I never take out (a sapphire cab in a gold bezel) so the poor thing goes regularly through house work and occasionally caving and rock climbing. Honestly, after about 4 years of such treatment the cab is by no means perfectly polished anymore. Beryl is not sapphire, and facets will wear out in much more obvious ways than the tarnish of a cab's polish (which actually look pleasing to me). So? you are right. With the post above I just wanted to point out that beryl comes close to tourmaline in hardness and toughness, and it is not particularly prone to wear compared to other gems: no gem material is good for making amour though
2.gif

And now that I got to write these, if I wanted a faceted gem to withstand the same abuse my sapphire does, I'd get a buff-top cut with all the nice concave facets (or whatever) beneath and a cab dome. The smooth shape would be the least prone to chipping if the material does not cleave well (beryl and tourmaline pass this requirement) and the stone would be really easy to repolish without compromising the all important facet design. If a ring is suposed to work out every day, than durability would be the main factor of the design, for better or for worse...

Blue Eyes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the good counsel !! I asked the cutter to send me a stone without any pesky points and he FeEx'd an Antique Cushion Concave Brilliant
cut Rubellite Tourmaline (8ct) to arrive tomorrow morning. THis pic is the style of setting that I like. I hope its design will allow the stone's color to be viewed from many perspectives.

Any other details to consider when setting a stone of this size and cut?

tongue.gif

Mege_basket4.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he, that's what I call a cool project...
wacko.gif
I surely hope you would not forget poor PS amid all and deny us a picture, scratchy as it may be!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results