shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone in the Cleveland OH area? Suggestions for things to do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
DH and I traditionally take a small trip right around our anniversary (it always ends up not landing right on it, but whatever). Money being what it is, we are trying to keep it local, and I found a great hotel deal in the Cleveland OH area. Anyone have suggestions on fun things to do that might be off the beaten path a bit?

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 10:47:03 AM
Author:geckodani
DH and I traditionally take a small trip right around our anniversary (it always ends up not landing right on it, but whatever). Money being what it is, we are trying to keep it local, and I found a great hotel deal in the Cleveland OH area. Anyone have suggestions on fun things to do that might be off the beaten path a bit?
Cedar Point is about an hour away. There''s also a waterpark right next door. I think there''s also a third amusement park/resort nearby. You can take the ferry to Kelly''s Island. You can visit the lake. In Cleveland, there''s the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:31:04 PM
Author: brightlight

Cedar Point is about an hour away. There''s also a waterpark right next door. I think there''s also a third amusement park/resort nearby. You can take the ferry to Kelly''s Island. You can visit the lake. In Cleveland, there''s the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Yeah, we''re specifically avoiding Cedar Point this year.
9.gif
Kelly''s Island sounds interesting though - I''ll look into it.
1.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
There''s also the Botanical Gardens and an Indians game. You should definitely explore Lake Erie and the iislands.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:33:55 PM
Author: geckodani

9.gif
1.gif
Any particular reason? I know I''m not a big fan but curious as to your reason.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:37:39 PM

Date: 7/21/2009 12:33:55 PM

9.gif
1.gif
Any particular reason? I know I''m not a big fan but curious as to your reason.
Honestly, I wasn''t very comfortable on a lot of the rides the last time we went, so until I lose a bit of weight, I''d rather avoid.
26.gif
We hit the zoo in Colombus last year and had a blast. I''m thinking maybe we''ll go to the Science Center, Botanical Gardens etc. I heard there was a WWII Submarine that would be up DH''s alley. I was just wondering if anyone knew of things a bit off the beaten path.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
If you head up to the islands, Put-in-Bay is always a nice little jaunt. Also, you aren''t too far from Amish country, and if you''re into some different parks, there is a park with a ton of cliffs about 45 mins east that I can get you the name of if you''re interested. I''d also recommend going to Tremont- a neat neighborhood in the area, and the West Side market. My family did a "staycation" there once when I was younger- we went to the Science museum, Rock Hall, an Indian''s game, and Geauga Lake (Six flags now). I grew up in Cleveland, so I know the area really well. I''ll think about what else might be coming up and post again. Let me know what you end up doing!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:56:55 PM
Author: charbie
If you head up to the islands, Put-in-Bay is always a nice little jaunt. Also, you aren''t too far from Amish country, and if you''re into some different parks, there is a park with a ton of cliffs about 45 mins east that I can get you the name of if you''re interested. I''d also recommend going to Tremont- a neat neighborhood in the area, and the West Side market. My family did a ''staycation'' there once when I was younger- we went to the Science museum, Rock Hall, an Indian''s game, and Geauga Lake (Six flags now). I grew up in Cleveland, so I know the area really well. I''ll think about what else might be coming up and post again. Let me know what you end up doing!!!
I''ll have to read up on the islands, I''m not familiar. This is sort of our idea of a staycation slightly away from home, LOL! DH might find Amish county interesting too.

Science Museum I think is going to be a MUST. Rock Hall we''ve both done, so maybe not so much.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 2:34:10 PM

Date: 7/21/2009 1:56:55 PM
Author: charbie
If you head up to the islands, Put-in-Bay is always a nice little jaunt. Also, you aren't too far from Amish country, and if you're into some different parks, there is a park with a ton of cliffs about 45 mins east that I can get you the name of if you're interested. I'd also recommend going to Tremont- a neat neighborhood in the area, and the West Side market. My family did a 'staycation' there once when I was younger- we went to the Science museum, Rock Hall, an Indian's game, and Geauga Lake (Six flags now). I grew up in Cleveland, so I know the area really well. I'll think about what else might be coming up and post again. Let me know what you end up doing!!!
I'll have to read up on the islands, I'm not familiar. This is sort of our idea of a staycation slightly away from home, LOL! DH might find Amish county interesting too.

Science Museum I think is going to be a MUST. Rock Hall we've both done, so maybe not so much.
Okay, Putinbay is SO a must.

Butterfly House, Gemstone Mining and a Winery/Crystal Cave. I think we'll stop on the way down before continuing to Cleveland. Excellent. Thank you!!!
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I second Put-in-Bay, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
And the zoo and rainforest is REALLY NICE, too!
"The Flats" (old warehouse area on the water that has been renovated with fun restaurants, fun street musicians and vendors, etc.) is a nice place to spend an evening, dining and walking along the water.

Have fun! I really like Cleveland!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Im a music buff and don''t dig the Rock Hall all that much... The science center can be fun, though. Indians games. The islands, for sure- espeically P.I.B. The flats are sort of "dead" unless you want to go to Shooters bar, Howl At the Moon (dueling pianos), or Rock Bottom Brewery. The art museum is great, as is the botanical gardens. The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is awesome, as well. Severance Hall is fun if there are any concerts (orchestras, symphonies, etc). Cleveland''s Theater District is one of the BEST parts of the city... "Off the beaten path" things include: Little Italy! Just fun to walk, shop, and EAT! Also Coventry- A little hill with various shops and restaurants... You can''t spend a ton of time in either of these two places, but it''s fun to just meander and browse.

These are the only Cleveland-centered things I can think of... But if you have time for the islands, put that at the top of your list! Have a great time!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
If you are into beer or microbrews at all, or if you are into sustainability, you absolutely MUST eat at and take a tour of Great Lakes Brewery downtown. Drink the beer, too, of course! It is by far my favorite thing to do in Cleveland.

The area around Case, Euclid Ave. area, is really cool, too. Lots of great shops and (inexpensive) restaurants.

ETA: By Case, I mean Case Western Reserve University campus, in case you aren''t actually from Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results