shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure what I''m having tonight, but last night we had Spinach-Feta Turkey burgers with garlic potatoes. It was delicious!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I made FI a BBQ burger (burger, cheese, BBQ sauce, some fried onions) with fries and had a salad with carrots, a little bit of cheese, and some turkey. I don''t eat beef, so when FI is in the mood for beef, I usually do a salad.

Of course, I picked at his fries
31.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, your responses encouraged me to cook something so I went to Garden Fresh and came home with . . .

For tonight, easy and delicious:
- Black beans (currently soaking)
- White rice (will start it soon)
- Sazon Goya (yummmm!)
- I have the garlic and onions and peppers already to round it out. And a sausage. DH loves sausage with my beans and rice. Weird.

For a snack right now:
- A fresh mango (that other thread had me drooling for one.) I already ate it, it was divine.

For tomorrow night:
- Spaghetti squash
- Asparagus (Thank you, vesper!)

I'd love to grill burgers but we've had them twice this week, already.
23.gif
DH can't stop grilling, he's made steak, salmon, chicken, hot dogs, and burgers--all since Saturday. I might turn into a piece of meat if we keep going at this rate.

For all my cheesehead friends--I feel your pain. We're in Illinois, and I make regular pilgrimages to Mars Cheese Castle in Wisconsin just for some good, fresh cheese. I eat way too much cheese, always have. What's your favorite? Mine is havarti with dill.

Somethingshiny--DH would eat pasta with meat sauce every*single*day of his life if he could. That's what he usually orders when we're out, it's comical.

Ellen--Those sammiches
1.gif
sound delicious. I'm going to try them next week. Thank you!

Holly--Your meal is putting me to shame. It sounds wonderful. We eat a lot of frozen dinners or takeout during the school year, too. I just don't have the energy to cook anything most nights after working all day.

jcarly--I LOVE enchiladas, but I just cannot make them well. I wish I could.

Kaleigh--I'm jealous--what cut do you prefer? I've never loved anything more than Morton's cajun ribeye. Oh.My.Gosh.

HouseCat--Enjoy your meal out! I love your new avatar.

tigian--I love carne asada, too. Now I'm just plain jealous.

Lilac--Yum, and awwww. That's sweet of you to make a romantic meal. I hope you two enjoy!

Zoe--I'd eat sandwiches for dinner every night if I was alone. DH cannot stand eating sandwiches for dinner, it's very strange.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! I'm now thoroughly motivated to make something. When I first posted this I was on the verge of saying "Forget it! I'm getting Chipotle" which is what I normally do when I don't feel like cooking.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I''m making boneless chicken breast with onions and sun-dried tomatoes in a balsamic sauce, and some broccoli. Quick, easy and delicious!!!

And we''ll probably break out the leftover sangria I made for a picnic yesterday, which is AMAZING if I do say so myself! ;-)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Change of plans ... DH didn''t want leftovers or Tortellini (what''s here at the house) so he''s picking up (head hangs in shame) SONIC. Hey, at least I get Limeaide out of the deal. And the house will stay cooler on a hot day.

Oh -- and my version of Ellen''s Beef Sammies is a 2-3lb piece of beef trimmed & seasoned on all sides with salt & pepper, with a can of French Onion soup & a bottle of Hard Apple Cider poured into the cooker. 8 hrs on low in the slow cooker. Shred 1/2 hour before the time is up. Serve on buttered toasted rolls with cole slaw. Yum! Guess I''ll be having it for lunch tomorrow since the leftovers are going uneaten tonight!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 8:24:11 PM
Author: decodelighted
Change of plans ... DH didn''t want leftovers or Tortellini (what''s here at the house) so he''s picking up (head hangs in shame) SONIC. Hey, at least I get Limeaide out of the deal. And the house will stay cooler on a hot day.

Oh -- and my version of Ellen''s Beef Sammies is a 2-3lb piece of beef trimmed & seasoned on all sides with salt & pepper, with a can of French Onion soup & a bottle of Hard Apple Cider poured into the cooker. 8 hrs on low in the slow cooker. Shred 1/2 hour before the time is up. Serve on buttered toasted rolls with cole slaw. Yum! Guess I''ll be having it for lunch tomorrow since the leftovers are going uneaten tonight!
The shredded beef sammies are making me drool!
18.gif

And I''m ashamed to admit that I have become addicted to SONIC''s Mocha Java Chiller. OMG.
30.gif
One every two weeks. That''s all I can have.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re having grilled chicken and broccoli/cauliflower.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
This thread is making me so hungry
8.gif
. Right now, I''m eating Mike & Ikes (leftovers from the wedding candy bar) and instant oatmeal.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t have Sonic around here, but it sounds delicious.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I made flat bread pizzas. I used Flat Out Wraps, a little pizza sauce, 1 oz of thinly sliced salami and 1 oz of mozzerella. For those that do WW, it''s 5 points! Super yummy!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 4:58:54 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
DH is being a dear and cooking for me tonight. He''s making breakfast. I am such a fan of breakfast for dinner!
I LOVE bfast for dinner! I don''t know that DH is as big a fan. Everytime there''s an evening when he''s not home, I make biscuits or pancakes and have it with bacon. I''d have it for dinner all the time if I had my way.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Haven - just want to first of all thank you for starting this thread! It''s so hard to figure out what to make for dinner each night and I always feel like I end up making the same things over and over, but now I can go back to this thread and get some great ideas for some new things to try!
1.gif

Dinner was great! Made some chocolate covered strawberries for dessert too. DH was so surprised when he came home and saw the candles, wine, and all the food!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 5:05:03 PM
Author: Haven
Ellen--YAY for watching all of Elf! It''s a classic, as far as I''m concerned.
9.gif
Your sandwiches sound delicious.

NEL--I LOVE breakfast for dinner! Oh my gosh, it''s my favorite. Too bad DH isn''t too into it, or I''d make breakfast for dinner all the time.

swl--Very interesting. I''m going to have to check into that. I love learning about new foods.

BTW, best breakfast for dinner dish is huevos rancheros.....YUMMY!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 8:48:12 PM
We don''t have Sonic around here, but it sounds delicious.

We don''t have sonics either here but we have commercials for them...It''s torture....tater tots and limeaid....mmmm....

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:23:16 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 7/16/2009 8:48:12 PM
We don't have Sonic around here, but it sounds delicious.

We don't have sonics either here but we have commercials for them...It's torture....tater tots and limeaid....mmmm....
When I lived in Seattle, we had no Sonic and the commercial used to torture me. Especially after growing up with them and knowing exactly what I was missing. They're building a brand new one 2 miles from my house. Must.Stay.Away.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea DH and I are always puzzled about the Sonic commercials. We may not have a Sonic, but we DO have an A&W drive in!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
We had nachos for dinne, totopos covered with beans, cheddar cheese, tomato, onion, queso fresco and jalapeños pickled in vinegar
26.gif
so yummy
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, that sounds delicious!!!!

We should start a "What I Made For Dinner Last Night" thread (doesn't have to be last night, just something you made) and just keep it going with pics and recipes . . .

Hmmmm . . . ok, working on that. :)

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooo Love this thread!

Two night ago I made crispy skin salmon steak on mash potato with braised peas & asparagus :) Yum yum

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
So far, I''ve had some of those mini ice cream bars by mars... one of each actually.

One twix, one snickers, one milky way, and one three musketeer.

18.gif

I could really go for some chicken now though... hmm... maybe grilled chicken and some spinach...

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
We had kielbasa for dinner with potatoes. He tried a new kind and it is italian seasoned. I didn''t like it. Hopefully he doesn''t buy that kind anymore.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 8:04:31 PM

Ellen--Those sammiches
1.gif
sound delicious. I''m going to try them next week. Thank you!
Welcome! And it freezes well too, which I just discoverd. Normally I only make enough to have a few sammies left over, but this was from my son''s graduation party and I had a lot. So I threw it in the freezer to see what happened. Just as moist and tender as the day I made it. So if it''s just the two of you and you get a good sized piece of meat, you could freeze half for another day. (And I hate you, you have good mangoes!)
39.gif

deco, your seasoning version sounds good! And I bet the ac vinegar helps make it even more tender. Must try.
18.gif

And I''m ALL for a thread with recipe ideas. I too feel like I cook the same things over and over for the most part.
40.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I just finished making (and eating
18.gif
), porterhouse steaks with pepper sauce/gravy, mashed potatoes with the skins on, and roasted fresh tomatoes, onions and mushrooms with garlic.

With a nice bottle of red, it was an entirely appropriate hearty winter meal on a friday night
5.gif

(and I am now soooo full, lol)...
40.gif

To Ellen and the other ladies that make these beef sammies - firstly, they sound sooo yummy! Can I come eat at your house?!
36.gif

And secondly, what cut of beef do you use? (sorry, not familiar with a chuck roast - would that be like a rump cut?)..
I will def. be making those sometime soon.!

I also think an ongoing thread to share meal / recipe tips is a good idea.
I don''t like the feeling you''re always cooking the same thing
15.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 10:15:58 AM
Author: arjunajane
I just finished making (and eating
18.gif
), porterhouse steaks with pepper sauce/gravy, mashed potatoes with the skins on, and roasted fresh tomatoes, onions and mushrooms with garlic.

With a nice bottle of red, it was an entirely appropriate hearty winter meal on a friday night
5.gif

(and I am now soooo full, lol)...
40.gif

To Ellen and the other ladies that make these beef sammies - firstly, they sound sooo yummy! Can I come eat at your house?!
36.gif

And secondly, what cut of beef do you use? (sorry, not familiar with a chuck roast - would that be like a rump cut?)..
I will def. be making those sometime soon.!

I also think an ongoing thread to share meal / recipe tips is a good idea.
I don't like the feeling you're always cooking the same thing
15.gif
Oh man, your dinner sounds yuuummmy! And it really sounds weird to hear you say winter, as I'm in the thick of summer!

No, the cuts are different. Here's a chart (scroll down) with a diagram. I thought this might help you best. You can see where the chuck roast comes from as opposed to the rump. Now, they are both "tougher" cuts of meat, and the rump "might" do ok if slow cooked a long time, I'm just not familar with them. Maybe someone will chime in.

http://marycontrary.tripod.com/food/charts.html

deco, what cut do you use?

And I see no reason why we just can't keep this thread going, since it's already here.

Tonight is homemade chicken salad on croissants (though not for me), with I don't know what yet.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
tonight''s dinner is steak rib eye filet, chopped into bite sized pieces and fried in a smidge of olive oil with chopped fresh garlic, then tossed through a mixed leaf green salad with sliced avocado, onions, fresh asparagus, tomatoes and olives. i''ll add a few home roasted fresh walnuts if i get inspired. will squeeze over a little fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of walnut and sesame oil.

tim will have a glass of red wine with his, and i''ll have one of the 5 million glasses of water i drink each day.

after that we''ll have blueberries and chopped oranges.

and now i''m hungry.

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been cooking a lot from Martha Stewart''s Everyday Food. We subscribe to the magazie, and I get the emails, too. Last night we had Penne with Two Tomatoes and Mozzarella. It was yummy, will be making it again!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:02:11 PM
Author: Ellen
Oh man, your dinner sounds yuuummmy! And it really sounds weird to hear you say winter, as I'm in the thick of summer!

No, the cuts are different. Here's a chart (scroll down) with a diagram. I thought this might help you best. You can see where the chuck roast comes from as opposed to the rump. Now, they are both 'tougher' cuts of meat, and the rump 'might' do ok if slow cooked a long time, I'm just not familar with them. Maybe someone will chime in.

http://marycontrary.tripod.com/food/charts.html

deco, what cut do you use?

And I see no reason why we just can't keep this thread going, since it's already here.

Tonight is homemade chicken salad on croissants (though not for me), with I don't know what yet.

Ah Ellen,
thanks you're a champ! That's a very helpful link.
I'm still not sure what they call that cut here, but I will ask my butcher what he would suggest for your recipe, and see is he knows what a chuck roast is
5.gif

I will let you know how I go if I cook them!

Tonight I am lucky and don't have to cook - my mum, the doll she is, about once a week will cook something and make extra for Fi and I.
I know everyone thinks their mum's cooking is the best, but mine genuinely is an awesome cook
5.gif

Tonight is home made pea and ham soup, with big chunky pieces of salty ham - yum. Served with crusty bread and butter.

It's also been funny to see, as Fi has been introduced to some traditional Macedonian foods my mum learned to cook from my paternal Grandma, that I grew up eating - like munja (kind of a traditional soupy stew made with rice, vegetables and chicken or other meat - it's sooo good!). He was hesitant at first, but now loves munja, or anything else, lol..

Whitby, your dinner sounds lovely!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 5:36:37 AM
Author: arjunajane

Ah Ellen,
thanks you're a champ! That's a very helpful link.
I'm still not sure what they call that cut here, but I will ask my butcher what he would suggest for your recipe, and see is he knows what a chuck roast is
5.gif

I will let you know how I go if I cook them!

Tonight I am lucky and don't have to cook - my mum, the doll she is, about once a week will cook something and make extra for Fi and I.
I know everyone thinks their mum's cooking is the best, but mine genuinely is an awesome cook
5.gif

Tonight is home made pea and ham soup, with big chunky pieces of salty ham - yum. Served with crusty bread and butter.
Hopefully he will know, I bet they have it, may just go by another name.

Oh, your dinner sounds devine.
18.gif
And I know what you mean about moms cooking. I REALLY miss my moms. She was an outstanding cook, and besides that, things just taste better when someone else cooks it. She stopped cooking probably 10 years ago at least. I still dream of her crown roast of pork.
39.gif

Do let me know if you find something suitable to make! And you're welcome!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
This is so much fun reading about everyone''s wonderful dinners!

Was at the store last night, after reading this thread, and bought a chuck roast for the crock pot!!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
We are having a pretty easy dinner- steak, garlic prawn skewers and salad.

Simple, but oh so good
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results