shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Clarity Raitings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Well, first, I''d just like to say that this forum rocks (pun intended). Having such a great group of people around to talk with and share information makes me happy.
2.gif

Anyways, on to my question.

I''m currently trying to learn how to grade diamond clarity. Well, I''m actually trying to learn how to use a loupe correctly right now (lots of practice), and I''m just finally starting to figure things out. I can''t tell you how exciting it was to finally see the inclusion on my fiance''s VS2 Princess cut.
1.gif
I wasn''t able to see it for the longest time, but after reading and learning more about the loupe, I saw it.

Okay, I''m digressing.
1.gif

Where can someone get diamonds to practice on?
1.gif
I mean, we only have so many in the house (and lots of them are REALLY small and hard to look at closely). Do you get stones to work on during the GIA courses? Also, is working with set stones that much more difficult (or does it depend on the setting)

Practice makes perfect, right?

It''s hard enough trying to resist asking people "can I see that stone under my loupe? I''m just interested in looking at it, really, that''s it. :D".

Thanks.

gunsuka

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi TooMuchInformation,

Here is a tip for using the loupe, keep both eyes open. It is a little difficult at first, but if you are closing one eye you can't practice looking through the loupe for long as your eyes get tired. It will not help you spot things, but it keeps your eyes from getting tired out.

If you are taking the GIA Diamond Grading class (the hands on one, not the theory part of the course) they will send you diamonds to practice grading. The stones they use are small as well - around 0.25 carat size.

I often as people if I can see their rings to look at stones, generally I only ask if I know the person a little. I have on occasion asked total strangers. I noticed a nice looking stone on the finger of a check in lady at Dulles airport one time, and I asked if I could take a look (the computers were down so we were just killing time). You should have seen the look on her face when I pulled out a loupe! It was a 2+ carat stone emerald cut, very nice.

Robert Gunther

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Yeah, keeping both eyes open is pretty easy after practicing that for hours on end :D. The thing that was keeping me from seeing the inclusion was not focusing down through the stone: starting at the top, and then moving slowly down throught the stone before you hit the bottom. I had thought originally that you could just "focus" on the stone and you'd be good.

Thanks about the bit on asking other people to look at their stones. :D I'll perhaps ask people in the future, just because it's so much fun to look at something new and unique. Pretty much every stone is kinda special in it's own way.

Now, one thing that I am having a problem with is keeping the loupe (and the jewelry) clean!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I haven’t graded diamonds another trick is to find out which is your dominant eye and use it.
With both eyes open point a finger at a smallish object 10 or so feet away.
Do not move your finger.
Close one eye then open then close the other.
With one eye you will still be pointing at the object that is your dominant eye.
With the other the object will appear to have moved.

To use the other eye will cause very bad headaches and blurred vision.

gunsuka

Rough_Rock
Trade
Grading with a micoscope is also much different (much better I find). It is easier to see, things are not moving around (like your hand, or the loupe) AND you can crank up the power to 50x or 60x and take a good look at things.

While a diamond grade is set with 10x, I always look at much higher power as well. When using the microsocope, if you think you see something - just crank up the power and confirm it! The down side is the huge cost as compaired to a loupe.

Robert Gunther

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, I made a terrible mistake and bought a 30X loupe, thinking that it would help me check my diamond's characteristics. Aaiiiee! I can't even focus properly, and don't evem know which part I am looking at when I do get it focused. How in the world do you use those?
10.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Caratgirl,
very carefully lol and hope you didnt drink too much coffee before using it.

You should try one on a 1.5 inch x 3 inch smt circuit board trying to follow a trace 2 layers deep.
Sometimes it took 60x to see the problem but that ment getting up and going accross the room to the microscope.

I know that likely made you go huh,,think the electronic guts of a larger cell phone and your close :}

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/10/2004 3:06:21 AM strmrdr wrote:

You should try one on a 1.5 inch x 3 inch smt circuit board trying to follow a trace 2 layers deep.
Sometimes it took 60x to see the problem but that ment getting up and going accross the room to the microscope.

----------------

Haha, I'm in the computer field (software), but my husband works in hardware, and I think the poor dear is starting to lose his vision due to the close work. You know what that means all of you ladies - I'm just looking better to him all the time!
appl.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Once you hit 40, all stones are eye-clean.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/10/2004 3:41:57 PM Patty wrote:

Once you hit 40, all stones are eye-clean.----------------

LOL Patty! This is sooooo true! I bet all the sub-40's out there spending extra $$ on clarity, never thought about this factor.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results