shape
carat
color
clarity

Start.... stop... start... stop... How do you keep going?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
So. I diet. And then I stop. And then I try something new. And then I stop. And then I get mad at myself and start again. And stop.

Sensing a pattern here?
25.gif

I need to lose weight. This is a medical fact.

I have done it before.

And yet... I can''t seem to stick with it.

So. What''s your strategy? What keeps you going? Anyone have advice or a swift kick in the behind for me?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I dont do stuff I don''t like. So if you hate running, don''t use running as your workout.
Don''t eat stuff you hate. Sure eating bell peppers with hummus or salsa save a lot of calories, but if you don''t like them, you won''t stick with it for long. Don''t make extreme changes either.

The easiest thing I did was find out when I consume my calories. I used to mindlessly eat between 4-7 pm. So that is now when I have dinner. 4:30, I get a 2nd workout in, shower, and go to bed. I fill that time w/ busy healthy stuff, so that I''m burning calories, not munching them. During the winter months I take my dogs on 2 hr walks in the evening and walk with the hubs and talk about stuff... in the summer it is a lot of gym workouts like swimming, crosstraining, or lifting weights.

And start slow. When you''re feeling bored and want to eat, go for a walk. Best wishes!
35.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh geck,

You and I are so much alike. I do the same thing. It is called motivation. I am on a diet right now. My motivation is a big old birthday bash I am throwing over Labor Day weekend, for myself and some of my high school classmates.

You would think I would want to be in shape all of the time, but this is what motivated me. I always (not all of the time) give in to temptation) This time I put my mind to it.

I know it isn''t good for our health. I am border line diabetic, I was doing a lot better, last time my blood was checked. I do stay away from sweets, just once in a while.

The key is putting our minds to it, and DOING IT!!! Have a game plan, set a goal. For me it has been 5 pounds at a time, instead of 10 pounds at a time.

I know it is especially hard for me, because my grandboys are always here. They has their chips and snacks and I just want to dive right in that bag at times.
39.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
tlh - you make good points! Thank you!

Linda. Wow. We really do sound so much alike on this! I guess my motivation keeps failing me. The fact that I sit on my arse for 9 hours a day at work surrounded by junk doesn''t help either.
20.gif

I like the 5lbs at a time thought process. I''ve tried it before, but I think in my head I still always had the greater goal looming, you know what I mean?

I''m also border line diabetic, have PCOS and all sorts of other not so entertaining medical issues, all of which would be helped by shedding a few pounds!

The hubby has also gained quite a bit in the last year. And isn''t happy about it. And yet... we eat. And sit. And eat. And sit. Meh.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 11:38:00 AM
Author: geckodani
tlh - you make good points! Thank you!

Linda. Wow. We really do sound so much alike on this! I guess my motivation keeps failing me. The fact that I sit on my arse for 9 hours a day at work surrounded by junk doesn''t help either.
20.gif

I like the 5lbs at a time thought process. I''ve tried it before, but I think in my head I still always had the greater goal looming, you know what I mean?

I''m also border line diabetic, have PCOS and all sorts of other not so entertaining medical issues, all of which would be helped by shedding a few pounds!

The hubby has also gained quite a bit in the last year. And isn''t happy about it. And yet... we eat. And sit. And eat. And sit. Meh.

My hubby has too. We swim a lot, I do with the grand boys daily and you know what? It is supposed to make me lose weight, instead it makes me HUNGRY!!!!! So..... I try not to eat.

My Dr. says to swim for exercise, so I do and it makes me so dang hungry. My grand boys, gobble up food after they swim. I have a big bowl of non fat yogurt with berries. It is filling, but I would rather have a big bowl of chips and this great salsa from a Mexican restaurant near by. HA!!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 12:03:43 PM
Author: Linda W

My hubby has too. We swim a lot, I do with the grand boys daily and you know what? It is supposed to make me lose weight, instead it makes me HUNGRY!!!!! So..... I try not to eat.

My Dr. says to swim for exercise, so I do and it makes me so dang hungry. My grand boys, gobble up food after they swim. I have a big bowl of non fat yogurt with berries. It is filling, but I would rather have a big bowl of chips and this great salsa from a Mexican restaurant near by. HA!!!!
Amen my friend.
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
gecko~ We have some similar issues with blood sugar and PCOS. For me, dieting doesn''t work. Even if I go down to 1300 calories a day, I don''t lose weight. Finally I started doing yoga. I haven''t really lost much weight, but I feel much better. I started hiking a lot too just because I love it. I will not be running..anywhere....ever.....I will not say to myself "you may no longer have ice cream, chocolate, or wine." Maybe instead of focusing on a diet, you can try to find a workout you love.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 1:17:25 PM
Author: somethingshiny
gecko~ We have some similar issues with blood sugar and PCOS. For me, dieting doesn''t work. Even if I go down to 1300 calories a day, I don''t lose weight. Finally I started doing yoga. I haven''t really lost much weight, but I feel much better. I started hiking a lot too just because I love it. I will not be running..anywhere....ever.....I will not say to myself ''you may no longer have ice cream, chocolate, or wine.'' Maybe instead of focusing on a diet, you can try to find a workout you love.
Interesting. And I agree. Alright - off to research things that may motivate me to move my heiney.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results