shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal with or without the girlfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dawei213

Rough_Rock
Question for you all...

You think I should have the appraisal done with or without my girlfriend? What I mean by that is that does it matter if I get it done before I propose to her or do you think it would be nice after I propose to take her and have it appraised. That way she can see it up close and also learn more about the diamond and ring herself? Kinda like a self-discovery of her e-ring.

What are you opinions?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
oooo....tough call.

I was the one who selected my ring, and though it would have been cool to see it loose and actually see the "hearts" before it was set, I didn't want to wait. I knew that once the diamond came in, I would spend 2 minutes looking at the hearts and then be bummed to part with the ring to get it set.

I had WF ship my loose diamond and a setting to my appraiser. He appraised diamond loose, then took it to a master setter to set it for me. Saved a bundle ($80 or so) on shipping, and got to wear it immediately on receipt.

In short, the only thing she cannot see "firsthand" if you have it appraised/set prior to giving it to her is the hearts view. In my opinion, she'll want to wear it more, and I'd have it appraised first IF the appraiser can fit you into his schedule prior to when you wish to propose.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I agree. I think that you should have the appraisal done and the insurance taken care of before you propose. Good luck!

dsp04

Rough_Rock
I am also struggling with this. I wanted to insure it under our renters insurnace, but it is not in my name but hers. So, if I can't find another way to insure it, I would have to wait until after the proposal and then have it insured with her assistance.

Are there any other ways to get a ring insured? I don't own a home so I was thinking our renters insurance was the only way.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
You can get insurance through Chubb. They will insure rings separately. It should be in her name/address because that is where the ring will reside. I think it is a nice touch if you have taken care of everything before giving it to her because then she doesn't have to worry about it!

dawei213

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinions!

Yeah, I'd have to get it insure under my renter insurance for now until we move into our new home. I guess I will have everything taken care of including the appraisal when I pick up the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results