shape
carat
color
clarity

My new spinel and setting dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to wait to post my spinel separately when it arrived should be here on Monday. I bought this beautiful spinel from Michael E at gemshoppe.com after months of pestering him for a spinel. Anyways It looks amazing from the pictures, it started out a light lavender rough, then apparantly after cutting it, it became a color changer, which I''m so excited for, It appears to change from two distinct color as Michael described it. Incandescent lighting it turns this purplish color, outside, it turns medium blue. so I''m not sure what kind of setting to put this in? I like this halo but is this too much going on? i''m so used to solitaire but I want to oomph my collection a bit. what do you think? I thought of doing a simple soltaire with the hand over hand whiteflash double prongs or this, or something else? it is 6.5mm

colorchangespineldt1.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three stone with bullet or trap sides???

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 5:15:15 PM
Author: Gypsy
Three stone with bullet or trap sides???
ooh, that sound great too, and I almost bought a LOGR with baguettes, but when I inquired to change the head, he said that he would need the baguettes much larger, only problem is then it would have been too wide E/W. I might have to talk to him some more about it
7.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d look at Unique settings and Adwar too. Seriously. They polish up great when you buy them through a good vendor.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how bout this?

jewelryhooprincess1.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 5:32:10 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''d look at Unique settings and Adwar too. Seriously. They polish up great when you buy them through a good vendor.
ahh, yes, I''ll look through them and stuller too... so many choices.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the antiquey one of the 2 you just posted. Gypsy had a good idea to check those other places..you could browse forever on those sites seems like!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh I saw that stone posted and thought it looked nice. Love the color change! Baguettes vs halo? Hmm, think I''d halo that baby
18.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was drooling over that stone as well!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Nice color and the change is something a little extra...very cool!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful spinel!! I can''t wait for you to get it. How about setting it on a diagonal. I have a similar colored cushion shaped spinel (it''s a lilac in some lighting and more pink in others). I took pics of it on a diagonal in my LOGR. I haven''t set it yet though.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks everyone for your kind comments on the spinel. Yes TL, I would love to set it at a diagonal, I've always wanted my previous princess ering to be set that way, so my heart still wants a stone in the kite position, there is a setting on Ebay can't remember who the seller but i"ve saved it and sent a question and he's in the US and its a very simple setting with 1.5 pointer diamonds down the shank, very delicate, but its quite the boring head... just your standard pegged straight prong head, however he can turn and position it for me which I'm leaning towards.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the color change....amazing spinel!!!
36.gif

Lori

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lori - I''ll have actual pictures up next week, maybe then the setting will jump out at me.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my. What a LUSCIOUS stone.

(I hope I spelled that right, especially since I was using all caps and all.
2.gif
)

Can''t wait to see your pictures!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 11:52:11 PM
Author: VRBeauty
Oh my. What a LUSCIOUS stone.

(I hope I spelled that right, especially since I was using all caps and all.
2.gif
)

Can''t wait to see your pictures!
Thanks VRBeauty- oh don''t you worry I''ll take loads of pictures when she arrives.
9.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful, I like your solitaire idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s really pretty; I saw it elsewhere was debating whether to inquire about purchasing it myself. I’m glad it’s going to a good home. Since it is a light and bright stone, you have many setting options. You can go the halo route or bezel and semi-bezel or prongs. I like the suggestion of having it set at an angle. I have seen a few antique settings where the prongs are also offset at NSEW.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD, and Chrono - yeah, I''m leaning away from split shank for this one, definitely angled. thanks everyone for your comments and input. can''t wait to get it set. Fot the halo idea- i have another gem on the way so that''ll probably be haloed
31.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The spinel is gorgeous!! Color changers are so much fun and have so much personality. Congratulations.
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Catmom- my first one, and a changer at that
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results