shape
carat
color
clarity

1st round of dress shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry that they didn''t have a great range but I really like 5 and 2 on you
1.gif

My favourite dress out of them all was 1 but it just didn''t sit right? How was the sizing? because I think if the dress fit right it would be gorgeous!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
#2 is LOVELY on you!!!!!!! You look AMAZING!! I also like 7, but 2 takes the cake girl!!!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies! #8 has really grown on me since the visit last Tuesday. And this Tuesday I am going to another place that specializes in plus size dresses. Its called Rubenesque, I visited with one of my BM last year when she was getting married. They carry Casablanca, but I don''t know if they have expanded or not. I cannot wait!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE #8 on you! It's beautiful! I also really really like #3, which I think would be gorgeous when it's in your size. And #2 looks fantastic as well!!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I think you look beautiful in #2, with #8 a close second! I hope your next shopping trip goes well, but it''s always nice to know you''ve got a couple of good options already. Have fun!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
#8, #5, then #2. I love 8, you look gorgeous in it!!!

ETA: I think I like 8 better without the cap sleeves, like you were going for! Too bad they were rushing you out
14.gif

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I love #2 on you!
30.gif
You *look* like you feel magical in it! Don''t be afraid of strapless-they are generally flattering on all shapes and sizes which is why so many bridesmaids end up wearing them!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies! It seems I have at least 3 options from your opinions! I never thought I would feel beautiful in a wedding dress because of my size, but I really did. And as shallow as it sounds, having the majority of votes agree with my top 3 favorites, really makes me feel good too!

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
#2 and #4 are nice. I like #4 the best.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkles, firstly, I have to say that I admire your posting pictures of everything you tried on--as a plus sized bride myself, I know I felt really uncomfortable with putting myself out there, so good for you! I probably tried on 60 or so dresses before I found one that I really felt beautiful in, and when I put that dress on, it was the first one I wore where I wasn''t thinking, "I look pretty good in this for a big girl" but just, "Man, I feel amazing in this dress!" My point with this is to tell you not to settle and to be patient. Unfortunately, it''s hard to find bridal shops where there''s a variety of styles to try on if you''re a size 12 or above. Almost everywhere I went, all the dresses in my size were what I called "cupcake dresses" because the skirts were so full, and that wasn''t what I wanted at all. I finally hit the jackpot at a plus-size dress shop (Silver Lining in Atlanta, GA, for anyone who is interested), and it was really nice to be able to try on a plethora of different styles in a store that catered to people more my size instead of trying to squeeze me into dresses that were way too small. Best of luck finding something that makes you feel like the hot mama that you are, and I hope you keep posting pictures of your quest because you look lovely in so many silhouettes! So far, my fave on you was # 2. How tall are you, if you don''t mind my asking? It''s hard to get an idea of proportions on the internet! I found a number of very pretty Casablanca dresses that suited my size, both weight and height (I''m 5''2" so a lot of dresses made me look really short, too!). I hope you have just as much fun on your next shopping trip!

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
8!! I just think you look especially gorgeous in that one! I loved 2 and 5, then I saw 8 and was totally WOWed; it takes the best parts of those two dress and puts them together (top of 5, skirt of 2).
I'm looking forward to seeing what you find on you next trip.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I love number 2 (and so does my Mom)!! It accents all the right areas. Definitely like that one the most..number 8 maybe without the sleeves, I am not feeling the sleeves. I think you should keep looking though. I know how hard it is to find samples to try on (I am a plus size bride as well), but you''d be surprised at the ones you can at least get an idea of sometimes if they''re a-line. Please post pics of your dress shopping on Tuesday, too!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Number 2 is by far the best on you! Followed by number 7 for me. There are some really pretty dresses in that bunch, but those 2 especially caught my eye.

Number 2 is SOOOOOOOOOOOO pretty and fits your figure well.

I was scared of trying on any dress as I am also a larger girl but I felt just wonderful in my chosen dress. I have a fitting some time this month so hopefully will be able to get some photos!

Keep us posted on your dress hunt!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 8:48:51 PM
Author: kittybean
I think strapless is cute on you, too! My favorites are #4 and #8. I think #8 is very flattering. I''d say #2 is my second runner up--you look lovely in it as well. Seems like you have a lot of pretty choices!
Ditto.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
#5 and #8 are my favorites

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I vote for #2!!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love 8, 5 and 2. I think 8 though pips the other two to the post. I love it.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Doodle - Your post really touched me, I am tearing up sitting here while I eat breakfast. THANK YOU! Fortunately for me, I have two BMs that have gone through this on my end of the scale, so they can help me with which shops actually will have decent dresses for me to try on. Its funny, I felt prettier and more shapely in these wedding dress photos than I do in photos in every day clothing. When it came to posting pics, I was mostly annoyed with the ridiculous faces I was making! Again, thank you!

StephensBride - Thanks for your enthusiastic response! I saw that huge number 8 and just laughed! BTW, your avatar is adorable! I am assuming its your daughter, she is sooooo precious!

SarahLovesJS - Thank you! One of my pet peeves about this lady is that I would be standing in the mirror with the dress half zipped, and then she would come behind me and just zip it up the rest of the way which distorted the whole thing! I can''t wait for tomorrow night, a whole store with nothing smaller than a 16!

MerryMunkey - Thank you! I can''t wait to see pictures of you in your dress!

Ladies - Thank you again for the opinions, they really help me get an unbiased opinion! More dress shopping tomorrow night! I probably won''t post pictures until this weekend or so. My FI will be coming in Thurs. night and his parents have graciously invited themselves to come with to meet my parents for the first time
20.gif
But I will do my best to get them posted in a timely manner as I love all the feedback!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in agreement with everyone else... I liked 2 and 8!!! So exciting that you have another whole shopping night planned already... can''t wait to see those pictures, too!! :)

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i am in aggreement with everyone else!
2,1,5 & 8 i all love on you!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, when I was dress shopping I had such a hard time. The dresses I loved were coincidentally the samples that fit. I was drawn to them because they fit, but the styles were all wrong. Personlly, I think you should keep looking. I think you''re "this close" on a few, but they''re not singing to me. Here are some things to consider during your next trip:

-Don''t do cap sleeves, I''m nto sure why, but they''re just "meh" for me. The vneck/straps is lovely as is the strapless.
-A-line is great on your figure-it shows your small waist and nice curves without overdoing it.
-I would avoid empire waists. They make anyone with boobs who''s not a sz 2 look pregnant!
-A little structure in the fabric goes a long way. Look for satin or taffeta as opposed to billowy chiffon.
-Asymmetrical Rouching (gathering diagonally to one side) is a waist''s and height''s best friend.
-I would try to avoid a horizontal line under the bust as it cuts you in half.
-If you have spanx (or something similar), or even some control top pantyhose, bring them next time. They smooth things over and can help the dress slide over you better when it''s a little snug.

I don''t know where you''re located, but there are a few stores here in the Northeast (MA, NH, RI, specifically) that carry larger sizes in samples. This is something they advertise and they get a lot of business because of it. You might want to consider asking the girls on your local/state knot message board about a similar store in your area. Bottom line, don''t feel defeated. For me, dress shopping was FAR worse than bathing suit shopping. I think we all have a mental picture in our minds of what we''ll look like in the dresses and when they don''t fit and you''re clipped and taped in, it''s just plain depressing. Remember, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN ZIP UP THE SAMPLE, DOESN''T MEAN IT''S "THE ONE." If you''re not in love, keep looking. Also, while David''s is great to get an idea of a style, it''s not the end all be all of dress stores and it''s certainly not the cheapest place. Many stores carry designer dresses in the same price range (the Maggie Sottero dresses come to mind, they range in price from $400-$2000).

Great start!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love #2 on you. No need to be afraid of strapless! You look beautiful!!

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I love 3 on you. You can already tell it is flattering even with it being a bit small. I also like 5 then 2 in that order. Also, don''t worry about the sample dresses not fitting you. It is a pain at times, but it is very very common. I had the same problem! I was trying to squeeze into dresses 4 and 5 sizes too small in the stores. I felt really uncomfortable with it at first, but after a few stores it didn''t faze me any more.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
#2!!! gorgeous dress!! looks fantastic!

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 12:18:23 AM
Author: happydreams
#2 and #4 are nice. I like #4 the best.

Ditto! but if i had to choose 1, I''d pick #2
36.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
OK, I like #2 the best, and then #5 after that. They both look great on you!
36.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
A few other things that I found helpful that you might want to keep in mind, too:

--Just because a dress comes in a larger size doesn''t necessarily make it a plus-sized dress. I noticed with a LOT of dresses that if it were a large enough size to fit my waist/hips, it was like the designer assumed that proportionally, I must be at least a JJJ cup size! If you try on a dress that falls into this category, make sure there''s a seamstress on site where you can make sure the dress could be properly fitted in the upper body. My wedding dress had this exact problem, and even after being altered and the top being taken in as much as it possibly could, it was still too big in the chest (and I''m an E cup, so the dress could have originally accommodated another person inside it with me!).

--SPEAK UP! If you feel that you could get a better idea of what a dress you''re trying on would look like in the correct size by not having it zipped up all the way, tell the SA, "Can we unzip this a bit so I can see what it would look like properly fitted?" It''s her job to help you find something you''ll look great in, and if you can get a better idea of what the correct size would look like on you by not zipping a too small sample all the way up, don''t let her zip it all the way up!

--Look at each dress you try on with a critical eye. It''s easy to have a snap emotional response to a dress (either "This makes me feel pretty" or "I feel like a water buffalo in this" haha), but take a second look. Each dress will have positives and negatives, and being able to identify what you do and do not like on your person is key to finding a dress that embodies everything you love. Look for what you do/don''t like about each dress and express this to your SA. They know their store inventory well, so if you get to the point where you know, say for example, that you love sweetheart necklines with slight a-line skirts and princess seaming throughout the bodice and that you don''t like full skirts, empire seams, or cap sleeves, a good SA can go, "Oh, I know the perfect dress for you to try on. Be right back!"

--I don''t know if this is true of most plus-sized bridal shops, but at the one I went to, the sales associates were all plus-sized, too. This was awesome. Not only did I feel significantly less self-conscious discussing dress sizes with an SA who wasn''t a size two, but the women at the plus sized store, being plus sized as well, understood my body proportions better and had a much better grasp of what would be flattering on my body. I found that they were able to suggest dresses I wouldn''t have considered, and their suggestions were dresses that flattered my attributes rather than just dresses that hid most of my body. I''m a big hourglass, but an hourglass nonetheless! The plus-size shop was the only place I went were an SA said, "Lets show of that waistline, girl!" Everywhere else, they kept putting me in empire waist dresses because I had the boobs to carry them off, but the lack of waistline made me look like my whole body was the width of my hips instead of showing that there happens to be a 15 inch difference between my waist measurements and hip measurements (take THAT, JLo! Haha!).

Hudson_Hawk made some great suggestions about flattering silhouettes. Really full skirts will shorten you, horizontal waist details will cut you in half, and undergarments are everything. Speaking of, check out hipsandcurves.com. They have AWESOME longline bras, corsets, etc. in plus sizes that are GOOOOORGEOUS, and the corset I got from them made my waist so small that, when wearing it, I can fit into a number of clothes I own that I haven''t been able to fit into for years. Plus, nothing makes you feel sassier than a corset with thigh highs and garters.
11.gif
Don''t let their site scare you--in addition to some really beautiful lingerie, they also have some beyond comical vinyl nurse''s outfits and all other kinds of non-bridal stuff, haha!

Best of luck, and I can''t wait to see pix from Round 2!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 2:03:28 PM
Author: doodle
A few other things that I found helpful that you might want to keep in mind, too:

--Just because a dress comes in a larger size doesn't necessarily make it a plus-sized dress. I noticed with a LOT of dresses that if it were a large enough size to fit my waist/hips, it was like the designer assumed that proportionally, I must be at least a JJJ cup size! If you try on a dress that falls into this category, make sure there's a seamstress on site where you can make sure the dress could be properly fitted in the upper body. My wedding dress had this exact problem, and even after being altered and the top being taken in as much as it possibly could, it was still too big in the chest (and I'm an E cup, so the dress could have originally accommodated another person inside it with me!).

--SPEAK UP! If you feel that you could get a better idea of what a dress you're trying on would look like in the correct size by not having it zipped up all the way, tell the SA, 'Can we unzip this a bit so I can see what it would look like properly fitted?' It's her job to help you find something you'll look great in, and if you can get a better idea of what the correct size would look like on you by not zipping a too small sample all the way up, don't let her zip it all the way up!

--Look at each dress you try on with a critical eye. It's easy to have a snap emotional response to a dress (either 'This makes me feel pretty' or 'I feel like a water buffalo in this' haha), but take a second look. Each dress will have positives and negatives, and being able to identify what you do and do not like on your person is key to finding a dress that embodies everything you love. Look for what you do/don't like about each dress and express this to your SA. They know their store inventory well, so if you get to the point where you know, say for example, that you love sweetheart necklines with slight a-line skirts and princess seaming throughout the bodice and that you don't like full skirts, empire seams, or cap sleeves, a good SA can go, 'Oh, I know the perfect dress for you to try on. Be right back!'

--I don't know if this is true of most plus-sized bridal shops, but at the one I went to, the sales associates were all plus-sized, too. This was awesome. Not only did I feel significantly less self-conscious discussing dress sizes with an SA who wasn't a size two, but the women at the plus sized store, being plus sized as well, understood my body proportions better and had a much better grasp of what would be flattering on my body. I found that they were able to suggest dresses I wouldn't have considered, and their suggestions were dresses that flattered my attributes rather than just dresses that hid most of my body. I'm a big hourglass, but an hourglass nonetheless! The plus-size shop was the only place I went were an SA said, 'Lets show of that waistline, girl!' Everywhere else, they kept putting me in empire waist dresses because I had the boobs to carry them off, but the lack of waistline made me look like my whole body was the width of my hips instead of showing that there happens to be a 15 inch difference between my waist measurements and hip measurements (take THAT, JLo! Haha!).

Hudson_Hawk made some great suggestions about flattering silhouettes. Really full skirts will shorten you, horizontal waist details will cut you in half, and undergarments are everything. Speaking of, check out hipsandcurves.com. They have AWESOME longline bras, corsets, etc. in plus sizes that are GOOOOORGEOUS, and the corset I got from them made my waist so small that, when wearing it, I can fit into a number of clothes I own that I haven't been able to fit into for years. Plus, nothing makes you feel sassier than a corset with thigh highs and garters.
11.gif
Don't let their site scare you--in addition to some really beautiful lingerie, they also have some beyond comical vinyl nurse's outfits and all other kinds of non-bridal stuff, haha!

Best of luck, and I can't wait to see pix from Round 2!
THis is very true. I'm a 14 street clothes. And my dress sample was a bridal 12 (no zipping up going on there). Well, when I got my own gown in the size that fit my waist and hips... you REALLY coulda but another person into the bust of my dress. I'm a D cup and my seamstress had to shrink those cups and that bodice down to half what they were. And STILL the neckline was more open than either of us wanted just because the cut of the gown was wonky up in the bodice.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
HUDSON HAWK & DOODLE Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I literally wrote down your tips in my wedding notebook that I will be bringing with me! I cannot wait! And hopefully my camera will not change settings midway through. And my mom is coming with! She saw my thread on here and called me up last night! "So I get on PS and the first thing I see is my baby in wedding dresses!" Shortly followed by "When are you going next and can I come?" She is too cute!

Thank you ladies! You have been a real boost in my self conscious! Now I am even more excited for tomorrow and to post pictures again!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 5:59:26 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 6/8/2009 2:03:28 PM

Author: doodle

--Just because a dress comes in a larger size doesn''t necessarily make it a plus-sized dress. I noticed with a LOT of dresses that if it were a large enough size to fit my waist/hips, it was like the designer assumed that proportionally, I must be at least a JJJ cup size! If you try on a dress that falls into this category, make sure there''s a seamstress on site where you can make sure the dress could be properly fitted in the upper body. My wedding dress had this exact problem, and even after being altered and the top being taken in as much as it possibly could, it was still too big in the chest (and I''m an E cup, so the dress could have originally accommodated another person inside it with me!).

--SPEAK UP! If you feel that you could get a better idea of what a dress you''re trying on would look like in the correct size by not having it zipped up all the way, tell the SA, ''Can we unzip this a bit so I can see what it would look like properly fitted?'' It''s her job to help you find something you''ll look great in, and if you can get a better idea of what the correct size would look like on you by not zipping a too small sample all the way up, don''t let her zip it all the way up!

--Look at each dress you try on with a critical eye. It''s easy to have a snap emotional response to a dress (either ''This makes me feel pretty'' or ''I feel like a water buffalo in this'' haha), but take a second look. Each dress will have positives and negatives, and being able to identify what you do and do not like on your person is key to finding a dress that embodies everything you love. Look for what you do/don''t like about each dress and express this to your SA. They know their store inventory well, so if you get to the point where you know, say for example, that you love sweetheart necklines with slight a-line skirts and princess seaming throughout the bodice and that you don''t like full skirts, empire seams, or cap sleeves, a good SA can go, ''Oh, I know the perfect dress for you to try on. Be right back!''

--I don''t know if this is true of most plus-sized bridal shops, but at the one I went to, the sales associates were all plus-sized, too. This was awesome. Not only did I feel significantly less self-conscious discussing dress sizes with an SA who wasn''t a size two, but the women at the plus sized store, being plus sized as well, understood my body proportions better and had a much better grasp of what would be flattering on my body. I found that they were able to suggest dresses I wouldn''t have considered, and their suggestions were dresses that flattered my attributes rather than just dresses that hid most of my body. I''m a big hourglass, but an hourglass nonetheless! The plus-size shop was the only place I went were an SA said, ''Lets show of that waistline, girl!'' Everywhere else, they kept putting me in empire waist dresses because I had the boobs to carry them off, but the lack of waistline made me look like my whole body was the width of my hips instead of showing that there happens to be a 15 inch difference between my waist measurements and hip measurements (take THAT, JLo! Haha!).

Hudson_Hawk made some great suggestions about flattering silhouettes. Really full skirts will shorten you, horizontal waist details will cut you in half, and undergarments are everything. Speaking of, check out hipsandcurves.com. They have AWESOME longline bras, corsets, etc. in plus sizes that are GOOOOORGEOUS, and the corset I got from them made my waist so small that, when wearing it, I can fit into a number of clothes I own that I haven''t been able to fit into for years. Plus, nothing makes you feel sassier than a corset with thigh highs and garters.
11.gif
Don''t let their site scare you--in addition to some really beautiful lingerie, they also have some beyond comical vinyl nurse''s outfits and all other kinds of non-bridal stuff, haha!

Best of luck, and I can''t wait to see pix from Round 2!
THis is very true. I''m a 14 street clothes. And my dress sample was a bridal 12 (no zipping up going on there). Well, when I got my own gown in the size that fit my waist and hips... you REALLY coulda but another person into the bust of my dress. I''m a D cup and my seamstress had to shrink those cups and that bodice down to half what they were. And STILL the neckline was more open than either of us wanted just because the cut of the gown was wonky up in the bodice.

How bizzare! I only had that problem with the bustiers they had for me to use. I am a 42D and that actual size, I should have had Gs to fill it out! I ended up using a 44B bustier! It was really weird!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results