shape
carat
color
clarity

Clairitek''s DIY Lace Edge Veil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am just outside of 2 weeks until my wedding so I figured I probably should get the ball rolling on my veil. When I had my second fitting last week I tried on a lace edge veil that hit right at the back of my knees but it was $185 and way out of my budget.

On Monday I trekked into the fabric/garment district (at least I think that''s what this was) in Philadelphia and purchased some reembroidered lace trim and tulle.

Here is my result. I am fairly happy with it. I am not terribly pleased with the profile in the back but I think it will look better once it is up against my dress. Its a little longer than I had anticipated, probably due to the fact that when I cut it the tulle wasn''t as weighed down. Oh well! I am definitely not doing it again!

frontPSveil1.JPG

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
The back. You can see its about 6" too long.

backveilPS1.JPG

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
As good a close up of the edging as my camera phone will allow.

PSveilcloseup2.JPG

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
WRONG SECTION!! SORRY EVERYONE! I''ll have it moved.
7.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely!!! The lace reminds me of teh lace in my veil!

Great job!!
36.gif
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You did an excellent job. The length looks perfect. . .the lace is so pretty!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think its lovely even though its in the wrong forum
2.gif
Nice job!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it''s a craft project, so it still fits under "home"
2.gif

I think it''s beautiful, good job!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Mandarine I totally thought of your veil when I was making mine. I LOVED your veil! So totally gorgeous.

Musey True.... it was a craft project that I did at home.
1.gif

I''ve been trying to get it moved. I am wondering if my request went through so I am going to send it again.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it is SO beautiful!!!!
36.gif

Lori

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s gorgeous! Makes me want to try DIYing it myself. Veil prices are ridiculous!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Clair it looks great - good job! I went back and checked out your dress thread and your dress is stunning
30.gif
You''re going to look fabulous!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous - you are very handy!!! Well done
1.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
That is absolutely gorgeous! And the length will be fabulous I am sure! I love the detailing on the lace!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Nice work!
1.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow, looks amazing!!!!! What store did you get the fabric at? I live in south Jersey, and am looking for a fabric store that sells nice veil material.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Claritek, Beautiful veil! Great job!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Phew! Good to see my thread was moved overnight to BWW.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments. I can''t wait to see it with my dress. I never would have gone with anything this long but I am glad I did.

Date: 6/4/2009 8:56:06 AM
Author: princessplease
Wow, looks amazing!!!!! What store did you get the fabric at? I live in south Jersey, and am looking for a fabric store that sells nice veil material.

Princessplease- I went to South 4th Street for my materials. I bought the lace and tulle at a store called Maxie''s Daughter. There were a bunch of other places but they had the best selection and prices.

While my lace trim isn''t true alencon lace its a style close enough and was only $7.98 a yard. The tulle was $2 a yard. I bought waaaaaay too much tulle because I didn''t realize it was so wide. I would have really only needed 1.5 yards. All together I spent $30 on materials.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!! i am very impressed. that looks beautiful. that will be something special for you to hold on to....you made your veil!! talk about a neat thing for a daughter or granddaughter to wear someday!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
It''s gorgeous!!! My mother is making my veil... we''re getting the supplies when I''m home in a week, I''m so excited!

I wouldn''t have the first idea how to go about it myself... I''m in awe of your veil-making abilities. :)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful!!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Its beautiful. About how much was the lace? I''ll probably be going down to the LA garment district for mine...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. That is unbelievable--I am so impressed that you made it!
Very romantic.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I am so impressed! Your veil is beautiful. (Yeah, 2 weeks to go...pro''lly wanna make sure this project is done
2.gif
)

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Claritek, that looks fabulous. I wouldn''t even know where to start when making a veil... Did you have some sort of pattern you used when cutting the tulle, or did you just sort of "go with it"?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Rockzilla The lace was only $7.98 a yard. Its certainly not the same quality as the stuff on my dress (cotton alencon) but had a similar look to it and since I was desperate I just went for it. I did see some nicer alencon trim at a different store for $15 and it looked to be much better quality. Since I was making such a long veil I knew I needed about 5 yards so I didn''t want to spend $60 on just the trim, especially if I wasn''t sure that I could pull it off.

PPM This is the second veil I have made. I wish I had taken pictures of the first one I made for a friend back in December 2007. I learned a lot from that experience. I highly recommend finding a large flat surface to work on where you can lay the material out.

The first time I did was measure, from the back of my head, how long I wanted it to be. Then I added on 2" to have enough material to gather it at the top and attach to a comb.

Then I laid the tulle out and folded it in half and cut it to the proper length. Next I rounded off the corners with it folded so they would be as symmetrical as possible.

To attach the lace I just laid it out on top of the tulle and used a needle and single thread in the same color as the lace to stitch along the top edge of the trim. I did my best to stay near the cording used to re-embroider the lace so my stitching wasn''t as noticeable. I can''t even really see it, even in my close up shot of the lace, so I am pleased with how that came out.

The hardest part of attaching the lace was to make sure I kept it going along the edge of the tulle nicely and checking to make sure it didn''t get bunched up. The curves were challenging and I was constantly adjusting the lace to make sure I didn''t get too close to the edge of the tulle.

Attaching it to the comb so the thread and stitching wasn''t noticable was tough. I doubt my ability to accurately describe how I did that so when I get home I will take some pictures to show you what I did.

Sorry for the rambling but I hope this helped describe what I did.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 10:59:49 AM
Author: mayachel
I am so impressed! Your veil is beautiful. (Yeah, 2 weeks to go...pro''lly wanna make sure this project is done
2.gif
)

I know, right?!? I had my friend''s double layer corded edge ivory veil on stand-by if mine didn''t work out. That was my second choice and since I was up in the air about whether or not I wanted a blusher I knew that would work out well.

One more thing off the list!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! You did a great job!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! Great job!!! I still have my lace mantilla-style veil after I bought another veil. I was dead set on using the plain edge one, but after seeing yours, I might just go back to the lace!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results