shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA Scores and Light Return? Educational GOG Stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wanted to post this into a new thread because it's something that is talked about a lot.

Spic posted this on another thread:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_108ct_f_si2_h%26a.htm

And noted that HCA does not always equal great light return. So I read the link.

It's interesting because yes I very much agree, the HCA tool should not be used by itself or out of context while searching--none of the tools should. I think the HCA as well as other tools, should be used in conjunction in order to form a fuller picture.

However, people often ask us here...what does the HCA score really mean? How did Diamond A with AGS0 proportions get a 3.5, and Diamond B with AGS 7 proportions get a 1.3?? Whats going on?!

So I just read the url above with the educational stone, and yes I agree that the Isee2 score isn't stellar, but I really LOVE that BrillianceScope rating and images! What exactly is so wrong with it? Just because it scores lower on white light means it's not a great stone? I can see that the arrows aren't sharp at the ends, so this probably wouldn't be an H&A stone, but I think it looks amazing and fiery on that Bscope rating. Definitely not a dud. It's not like we are talking a maul cut here are we?

Experts, please chime in with your thoughts on this type of stone. I almost feel like it's getting knocked for not being a 'super ideal'. It's got good numbers and lots of fire. It's not H&A but if it was discounted appropriately, seems like it'd be a great budget stone for someone who couldn't afford the superideal H&A's we all love so much (myself included). Thoughts?

I love educational stones, but what about one of those AGS 0 stones that scored a 5.5 on the HCA with horrible Bscope ratings? Or that AGS 7 stone that scores 1.5 on the HCA and has great Bscope ratings (actually that'd be something like Chris's stone bought from GOG this last weekend!).

To see an educational stone like this, with pretty great Bscope scores, AGS0 scoring and excellent HCA scoring to me doesn't scream dud..even though the Isee2 says so.
rodent.gif

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Something tells me there will be no definitive answer to that question Mara. But I assure you this topic has explosive potential.

My take is that the Gemex-Brilliance Scope take all the facets of a stone into its equation, there is binocular and monocular issues that arise but I feel the B-Scope is my preference here.

The cool thing about the HCA is that it provides every diamond customer a great deal more info than was previously available.

Your right the edu stone listed in not a pooper....it’s just not what I would call excellent, or even very good.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beats me Mara?
I would like to see Rhino's lightscope - I imagine it was fantastic, and I am wondering why it was not posted - along with the DiaVision scan so that we can have a really good look at the stone.

GOG1010.jpg

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
I thought Brilliance Scope (Gemex) was a "Lightscope"?

Another link to a learning stone

I do not have the software to see all the reads....but it reveals a similiar difference between Gemex and HCA.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LightScope is Rhino's type of 'IdealScope' I believe.

1.gif
Hopefully Rhino can chime in when he gets a minute!

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I was considering that stone months ago until I saw where the inclusions were located.

It's a very mediocre SI2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results